SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

Warning about hiding places of scale and mealies

mehitabel
16 years ago

For a couple of years I've noticed that while scale do sometimes appear on leaves (especially underneath the leaves of a declining plant, or withered leaves)

Even so, I was most likely to find them on *spikes* of oncid types. On this type of spike with it's spaced little brown nodules and many flowers to distract the eye

this type of spike seems to be a perfect place for still another brown bump, ie scale, to hide well camophlaged while it multiplies. Often the first sign was a sticky spatter on nearby leaves. They multiply like crazy-- if you miss a few you'll have many dozens in a couple of weeks.

This year I have been finding them on *flowers* and *flower stems* of phals. Only very occasionally on a leaf. I guess they can manage to get a better foothold on more-tender flowers and stems than on the waxy leaves.

There's usually a tell-tale sticky-shiny spatter on a nearby leaf. But the important thing is they hide very well. You have to pick up the plant and look at the flower from all angles *especially in the LIP*, a favorite hiding place with it's crannies and markings.

This isn't a request for remedies. I have those.

It's a warning-- pick up those plants and look carefully at them -- especially the flowers and even in the lip. And don't write that sticky spatter off to happy goo.

Comments (13)