SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Build a new pond questions....

Calamity_J
15 years ago

Hi there! I have been a lurker for about a yr now, and silently covet EVERY pond I see here!!!!lol! LOVE the gallery!!!! Anyhoo, last year I just about built a brick raised bed off on a concrete patio...untill I realized that maybe the concrete may not be solid enough for that amount of weight(I have cracks in a section of this concrete beside this deck.) It was gonna be 8'x4'x20". So THEN I decided to get a fence put up in my yard(1/2acre) to keep deer out and the fence guy said, hey I can landscape too....So THEN I wanted a big 10'round pond in the back 1/4acre...down a sloped terraced hilly type back yard I'm stuck with....I could look down and see this pond in all it's glory....but vetoed that(Have been suggested that a pond too far away from house is not as great as a pond just off your house....SO. Now the plan is: I have a raised cement planter, 6ftw x 30ft long, right off one of my patios. !!!! YEEHAW!!! This will work!!! AND the fence guy will dig it out all the dirt for me with his machine!YES!!!!!! So. I'm thinking 20x6x4'deep, with a waterfall. I have already been given a pump,filter/uv that is for 2000gallons. Cyprio. It's been used for 2yrs and worked fine but has sat for 2yrs now. Should be okay still? So ANY advice for this pond set up that you are willing to offer would Greatly be appreciated as I wanna be doing it right and low maintenance. I was thinking of no plant shelves, just milk crates as needed and run this baby all yr. I also want to add a arbor structure to go over top of it as soon as I am able, would that keep heron away? Then I could drape netting if needed? I think it would look like a cool English garden type look to it. Has anyone tried those aquamats? They sound good. I am only going to put goldfish and plants in it. I get so obsessed about building a pond...I can research it till the cows come home and STILL feel like I don't know what I am doing. Was also considering about asking a pond guy to help(pay him) me install the pond equitment as I am not a plumber...but want to learn. Am installing a outdoor plug in too. Oh boy Oh boy!!!! I think this is the one...it's really gonna happen!!!lol! HELP!!! Jane

Comments (14)