SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pikecoe

Shade Sails?? Anyone

pikecoe
16 years ago

Sometimes my fingers don't always do what my small brain thinks. Wish I could go back an erase that last post. Just ignore it. Thanks

Last year I started a thread "I'll show you mine if you show yours." Some of the pictures have dissapeared and some don't download right. Ccoombs had a picture their pond with shade sails. I liked the idea of giving my fish and plants more shade, so I went to great lengths to find and purchase some at that time. I finally got my son to get me some posts to use for about $25.00 (a bargain). I have everything I need hardware and sails and posts, but hubby keeps procrastinating!!! Would you post pictures again so I can show him how they are supposed to look. Thanks Glenda

Comments (39)

• sheepco
    16 years ago

Yes, please post those photos again! I've been looking into shade sails too! Anyone else have pictures?
    Glenda, did you order on-line? Where?
    Thanks, Sarah

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I went on ebay. The ones I got were from Hawaii and the hardware was from Australia. I had seen a place in Ohio that had the sails and the hardware, but when I went to get them they were out. Glenda

• Related Discussions

hade Sails? anyone

Q

Comments (3)
    Yes that is one of them. Ccoombs had one also. Thanks Horton, I was thinking that if no one posted to it; it would go so far to the bottom that no one would see it. But I now remember that it doesn't work that way. Thanks Turtlewalker... Do you really walk your turtles, do you put them on a leash?? Glenda
    ...See More

does anyone have a sail?

Q

Comments (8)
    place i used to live 'arcosanti' uses lots of these. they recently received one from a company called sunami. architecturally, these are known as 'tensile structures' which may be good to search for. and gee, that's the url for sunami.. www.tensileshadeproducts.com/Sunami.php (i haven't visited the site to exercise caution with the link) i've also built several such structures using regular shadecloth from eg. home depot.. i'd say d.i.y. can be a good route, but for high winds you really want to make sure it's as taut as possible.. with really strong seams. using those double ended screwy tightener things for sails or stuff.. should be able to grab some at ace hardware. tight/less play is good.. more play = more breakage. if you design your own, maybe consider some way that it can be drawn up so you only expose it to the elements when you want to use it.
    ...See More

Does Anyone Use Shade Sails for Plants?

Q

Comments (27)
    Well, they're not heavy duty umbrellas...which in the case of the way in which I use them, is an advantage anyway. Harbor Freight has them on sale for this price quite often through this time of year. Stop by a HF and get on their mailing list then you'll know when they have them on sale. I bought maybe 20-30 of them and though the ones I have left are now pretty ratty looking, they still have their uses...lol..
    ...See More

Shade Sails--Have you installed one?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thanks for your responses. After posting my question, I found sites with information for DIY installation, and I think maybe we are not ready to do that without a bit more prep and information. We're going to just hang some patio shades for the moment and take more time to think about the options. I think the sails are a very good idea, but I guess before make a permanent installation, I should have a better plan. Thanks everyone. Valerie
    ...See More
  • sheepco
    16 years ago

Thanks Glenda! I'll take a look.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

Did you see on the other thread the mention of overstock.com? I've never had any excess of sun and would worry constantly about wind. I remember the awnings my mother's house had and how they would snap in the wind. I would check out awning makers, sail makers and tent makers. I think they would have the market covered. The shade cloth I had for my greenhouse wasn't designed to be pretty but it worked. You might look those up too. Sandy

• nancyd
    16 years ago

Check out the shadesails.com website. They have good photos and will give your hubby an idea of what you want. I considered them at one time but worry about the same issues that sleepless mentions. We have a lot of wind in our area not to mention it would be a bother taking them down and putting them up every season for just a couple months use. A lot more plants and a net created more shade for us. However, you being in Florida have different issues.

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

When I kneel on the rocks to pull spent leaves and blooms off the lilies my knees blister. I suppose I could get some knee pads. The sails have turnbuckles that are made to give with the wind to a certain extent and the only time we have any wind is in a hurricane. And that doesn't happen very often in our area. And then we have plenty of time to prepare "take them down". Thanks for the information. He is just procrastinating. I've had them since late summer and he keeps finding excuses not to do it. Glenda

• sheepco
    16 years ago

Maybe he needs a friendly nudge from the forum...
    "Mr. Pikecoe! Get on with the project, please...You'll enjoy the pond so much more when it's done!" :)

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Sheepco. By the way I was in Mn yesterday and SD the day before, I do not like your weather in the wintertime. Can't wait to get back where it's more bearable. Maybe this will get him going. Everytime he sees me on the computer he say's "Are you fishing again".
    Glenda

• catherinet
    16 years ago

I had never heard of those before, but the pictures of them on that website are beautiful.
    I don't have trouble with too much sun in my little watergarden, but if I did, I think I would sink a 4x4 post next to it (probably on the south side) and attach a market awning on a pole to it, that had a swivel on it. You could easily crank it up and down, and direct the shade to different areas of the watergarden. The sail shades are much more aesthetically pleasing, but might be a challenge in wind, and would be hard to take down if you needed more sun.
    Maybe my idea is tacky......but functional/practical for a small area.
    Glenda......you can get down on your knees at all? I'm envious! haha I've heard that volleyball kneepads are the best. Wouldn't it be great if the ground were waist level? I could get so much more done!

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My pond is 2 ft above ground, but I have rocks around it and those big paver stones "I think that is what they are called" around the edge, so I have to kneel on them to reach into the pond. Hubby is the one with the knee problem. I don't have any problems except upper spine and that only bothers me when I stand or walk for long periods of time, like at the stove or sink or shopping. It's amazing but when I am at the pond lifting heavy baskets of plants or cinder blocks or rocks it doesn't bother me a bit. Glenda

• sheepco
    16 years ago

Yeah, we've been on a nasty streak lately weatherwise. Sorry you couldn't enjoy a few 'nice' days of winter. After this week in the teens with howling winds it's supposed to get into the 30's and stay there next week :)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

"when I am at the pond lifting heavy baskets of plants or cinder blocks or rocks it doesn't bother me a bit."
    Rotflmao! Sandy

• catherinet
    16 years ago

:) :) :) :)

We should all be so lucky Glenda! I get pains just thinking about doing those things! lol!

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The doc recommended strength bearing excercises. Guess that's as close as I'll ever come. Glenda

• catherinet
    16 years ago

Hi Glenda,

I have real knee problems. (arthritis, meniscus tears, knocked-knees, knee caps in the wrong place, etc.). I've had surgery on one knee and it totally knocked me on my butt for months (because of the reaction of my fibromyalgia to it). Then my other knee started hurting really badly. supposedly knee replacement was the only option, but I refused. Instead, I learned knee strengthening exercises, and I can't believe how much they help!
    Of course the real test will be spending alot more time outside, putting stress on my knees, but at least I'm learning how to better take care of them and how to strengthen them.
    Remember a million years ago, when nothing ever hurt, and we could abuse things like crazy? Its a distant memory.....but a great one!

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sandy, this is bugging me. Am I supposed to know what "Rotflmao" means. It took me a long time to know what LOL was. I finally asked my grandaughter. I thought at first it was lots of luck... Glenda

• catherinet
    16 years ago

Glenda......It stands for "rolling on the floor laughing my *** off."
    I used to think LOL meant lots of luck too. That's what it used to mean.....before computer lingo was born!

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Catherinet. It might make her rotflmao, but it is true. I get tired doing it, but it doesn't make me hurt like some things do. Glenda

• catherinet
    16 years ago

Hi Glenda,
    I don't think she meant anything by it. It was just sort of funny to hear you talk about slinging heavy things around in your pond, and it not bothering you! :)
    You're very lucky!
    I think we all have our own individual "achilles heels", so to speak. I'm glad you can do those things without pain.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

I'm sorry. You are so confident in your posts I assumed you knew about the acronyms used on the Internet. There are a lot of new ones since texting showed up for cell phones. Every once in a while I do a hard copy of the current ones since they do change. If you take a look, you will get a laugh at some of the things that can be said with just a few letters. ROTFLMAO is one common on this forum.
    You didn't mean it but you did make a funny and since I have a few physical problems of my own so I was commiserating. Doing the things we enjoy does pump out some of those pain killing endorphins and is much better than any pain pill. Take a look at some of the available acronyms for a giggle. Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: Internet Acronyms Dictionary

• mgeca
    16 years ago

Amazing, with declining literacy rates that people master these acronyms. Must be funny to hear them talk aloud lol. Maybe I'm just jealous with a decrepit mind.

Anyone turn shade sails into an acronym-Some Have A Desert Environment S...

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

Mike there are so many dictionaries for so many fields it is amazing. I suspect there are several you might enjoy on a google search. I have to admit I get a giggle about the commercial of the woman trying to get her kids to cut down on their texting while her mother is doing it, too. They are all using the acronyms while she is franticly trying to grasp what they are saying. Its a whole new language. LOL! Sandy

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I worked for the Telephone Co for 23 years, but have been away from there for 21 years. We used to use Acronyms all the time in telephone language. But I don't do texting on the phone so haven't gotten familiar with some of the common acronyms. Some things I have been able to figure out, but that one threw me. Guess because it was more that 3 or 4 letters. GTODIGTHTLSNT Glenda

• youreit
    16 years ago

And all this time, I thought I was talking about this site when I typed "GW!" What I actually meant was "Goal Weight." LOL

DYJHIWTH?

Brenda

• catherinet
    16 years ago

Say Wah?
    When I was little, I remember my mother always saying "Where does an alien go to register??", whenever we would talk about just about anything! When I see those long lines of letters, I hear WDAAGTR? in my own mind. hahaha

• mgeca
    16 years ago

Acronyms are like a language. Back when I did a stint in the military, which is great for innovative acronyms, a lifer started talking and reeling off one after another. Finally someone said, wait a minute, what's does that one mean? The guy paused and said, I don't know, its just what we call it.
    Mike

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just waiting to see if someone would take a stab at mine. It's simply "Guess this old dog is going to have to learn some new tricks". And now if I can figure out Brenda's. Glenda

• pikecoe
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Don't you just hate it when ?? Glenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

C&G, I particularly enjoy ROFFNAR to ROTFSTCLMAAOBPO although ROTFLMHOSTC has got to be a favorite. Sandy

• mgeca
    16 years ago

Looks like GW is messed up again--can't tell what language is being posted here.

• sheepco
    16 years ago

Gettin' to be a long winter isn't it? We're so easily distracted, and at least in my case, entertained. LOL!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

Now don't get discouraged. I gave you the correct answer book. You just want me to type out the whole thing.
    Maybe this would be a good game for the conversation side to get through the rest of the winter. We are supposed to get more snow this week. SLATFATF to quote from the fifth book in my favorite trilogy. Sandy

• youreit
    16 years ago

Almost there, Glenda! It was one from Sandy's link. ;)

"Don't you just hate it when that happens!?"

But I like Catherine's mom's! LOL

Sandy, be careful, or you'll SYEO! (not from your link...) :D

Brenda

• txgdnr
    16 years ago

You guys are sooooo crazy!! I can always depend on you for a good laugh as well as good information. I empathize with all the aching body parts!! It is amazing that when we are doing the things that we love, they don't ache so much, until much later! As for the acronyms, you should be in the Insurance Business, Senior market!! The government has the market cornered on acronyms, it's like learning a new foreign language every few months! DGMS Dianne

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

Now to know what is being said we need to find the correct dictionary! My head is starting to spin and I am spouting Doe, a deer, a female deer. Rey, a drop.....Here I spent all that time trying to avoid the jargon computer people use and it was all for naught! Each and every occupation has their own language! I would go back to English but it has been subverted, too. Sandy

• mgeca
    16 years ago

I, like, don't agree Sandy, ya know, that English are subverted. How hard can it, like, be when even little kids talk it?

• youreit
    16 years ago

I'm down with that, youknowwhatI'msayin'?

Brenda

• sleeplessinftwayne
    16 years ago

ROTFLMAO. Sandy

• mgeca
    16 years ago

Please post a picture Sandy
    Mike