SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cody_mi

bad at math and have some questions

cody_mi
14 years ago

i bought a small pond kit. the liner itself is 8x10 which is meant to make a pond 4x6x1.5. i live in michigan, so it's gonna freeze. i've been doing a lot of reading since the kit was bought last spring. i'm only familiar with our huge spring fed ponds that we had dug for fishing. i started out trying to make one of them for ornamentals ie; goldfish, koi, lotus and waterlily. i didn't take into consideration mink, muskrat, racoons, snakes, geese, ducks, herons, hawks, kingfishers, bobcat, game fish etc. needless to say, pretty to look at, but not real good for what i planned. this is my fist ornamental pond i'm afraid i'm going to screw things up. if i make the pond only 18 inches, we can assume it'll freeze 8-10 inches right? the remaining 8-10 inches wouldn't be enough for koi right? in most of the books i've read it says the pond should be at least 3 feet deep to overwinter fish. i'm willing to remove the fish for the winter, but i'd really rather not. someone mentioned styrofoam on top of 2x4's over part of the pond. i could put an air stone in it, or maybe a deicer. i plan on having a few water hyacinths in it and maybe two or three waterlilies. i don't really know what else i'd put in the shallow part, except maybe variegated cattails. here comes the bad at math part. if i shorten the length and make it like 3.5x5 or so, have only one shelf with about 12 inches in depth, would i be able to make the rest of it at least 24 inches. some websites say 8inch overlap is enough some say 12 and some say 24 inches overlap. basically i'm asking if i'm way off base with what i'm thinking or can i make it work? i apologize if none of this makes any actual sense.

Comments (5)