SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcahalan_gw

shallow pond or bird bath/fountain?

tcahalan
15 years ago

Hello - I hope I'm posting in the right forum and that you'll forgive me if I'm not! My husband and I are planning on landscaping our small side yard into a kind of courtyard. We live in an old house on a small, in-town kind of lot so we'd like to add a small water feature to help block out the noise. I love to feed the birds, and encourage other wildlife. My husband has a real aversion to fish of any kind so that's out. I'd like to have some sort of birth bath / fountain that drips over the sides into a small circular pond. I've seen some pre-made small ponds for this purpose but they are quite expensive. any pros /cons for buying these over making our own? and if we did make our own, how exactly would we do that - could we form it out of concrete or would it need a liner? oh - one more question, I'd like to have some aquatic plants - even water lilies - in the pond/fountain. would that work? any suggestions on types? how deep would it have to be? I know these questions each require a book of answers, so I really appreciate any real world advice you could offer!

Comments (2)