SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
always_outside

Which fertilizer and application method?

always_outside
16 years ago

I'm getting ready for spring! I have parrots feather, 3 water lilies, an umbrella plant and watercress in my pond. The pond is about 8 months old. I noticed last year the parrots feather and lilies didn't do that great; Especially the lilies. They all lived, but never thrived. I had one bloom from one of the lilies, but the leaves looked weak and small and most were covered in APHIDS the entire time. I would periodically spray them down with my hose so the fish could eat the aphids. All my plants are in gravel only. I do not like the idea of putting soil in my pond in fear of having discolored water. I would love to fertilize my lilies this year to get some "oomph" out of them. Also, the parrots feather is constantly ambushed by green algae. I thought parrots feather was supposed to compete with algae? The algae is winning! I have to use a toilet scrubber to pull algae off the parrots feather at least every week. I read a post somewhere and someone stated they used an iron pill and it allowed the pond plants to grow while depleting the algae of nutrients. I don't remember the details, however.

Comments (26)