SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gonebananas_gw

Why specifically do organic gardeners avoid chemical fertilizers

gonebananas_gw
11 years ago

I can see many reasons for avoiding artificial pesticides.

I can also see a number of good reason for preferring organic fertilizers -- more complete plant nutrition, humus content and promotion of good tilth, promotion of soil biota, slow and better timed release and thus low loss and leaching potential, recycles wastes, etc. Lots of good reasons.

It is not clear to me though what the outright objections are to chemical fertilizers per se, OTHER than such obvious problems as nitrate contamination of groundwater (phosphorus contamination of surface water is more a matter of uncontrolled soil erosion, not the fertilizer type used).

I read occasional claims of eventual "poisoning" or "ruining" or "destroying" the soil but don't see any obvious way that will happen. It is true, that unwanted and readily sorbed trace element could build up with certain phosphorus fertilizers (uranium, for example) but how would calcium nitrate or potassium sulfate, for mere examples, in proper doses as fertilizers, ever truly degrade the soil?

I can see the reasons for organic preference, but what are the reasons for the concerted avoidance of synthetic fertilizers?

Comments (63)