SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meldy_nva

Hurricane, ho-hum

meldy_nva
15 years ago

Okay, let me say up front that hurricanes are not to be trifled with. Take that wind seriously and take the rain even more so.

It's a fact of our life that 7 inches of rain is going to do more damage in more places than 77 mph winds over the same area.

However, Hannah is dithering and blithering and at the moment seems inclined to go nowhere with fussable bluster. The estimates are that she'll slide along the length of the Atlantic coast, stepping off the coast of Florida -- or maybe Georgia -- or surely from South Carolina, on her way up north. Georgia and SC cancelled Friday night football (don't laugh - this is a serious thing to do), while Maryland and Virginia are poised on tiptoe to succor wherever Hannah sucks, or at least to sympathize. (North Carolina is admitting to nothing, yet.) Is this a hurricane or a tropical storm heading our way? No one knows, especially the meteorologists, but the media is all agog. For some reason, all the fuss preceding Hannah has left me feeling... ho, hum.

Now, Ike. Oh yes, here's Ike.

It's a little difficult to make fun of a storm that is swirling with 150 mph winds. Since I tend to take most hurricanes seriously, I find Ike makes me very serious and concurrently very glad s/he's spinning so far away. [Do hurricanes with masculine names remain feminine? or do they undergo a full gender change?] NOAA apparently thinks Ike will charge full gallup to the Bahamas before turning our way. It's too soon to say for sure.

All I can tell you is that --if guesses are right -- Hannah should pay the nation's Capitol a flying visit late Friday or early Saturday. Ike is being a gentleman and following at a distance. We may or may not see him/her early next week.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
More Discussions