SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tisha_

The things I miss...

tisha_
13 years ago

GandLe's post about the heater coming on, and wondering why George hadn't closed the windows got me to thinkin'... there are a lot of little things from my childhood that I miss more than anything, that I never thought I'd miss in a million years.

- I miss being cold in my room in the winter. When I was little, we just had a stand alone heater in the dining room of our house. The heat never made its ways to my bedroom (or the bathroom!) so I slept with blankets and more blankets on top of me in the winter. And honestly, I usually still had a fan going too. lol That fan thing is one thing I never budged on when I started living with Keith. I need that noise to be able to sleep good. He thinks I'm crazy for it. lol I probably am.

- I miss the old box fan in the window of my grandma's kitchen. We had air conditioning when I was little, but it was always just window units, which aren't very efficient. So, they usually didn't get turned on until the end of June at the earliest. But a lot of windows had old box fans, to keep the air moving and keep it from being so stuffy until the AC was turned on. My grandma had one in her kitchen window and the table was up against it. My cousins and I all fought about who had to sit with their backs to it. Because when she was cooking, it acted as an exhaust and so whoever sat there had to put their hair up in a braid to keep it from being sucked into the fan. If I sit and think real hard, I can still remember what that kitchen felt like. A little hot and sticky, smelled like fried chicken, and we all still managed to talk to each other over the loud roar of that box fan.

- I miss swimming in the horse tank in the summer. At my other grandma's house, we had a small horse tank that was filled with water for us to swim in and cool off, all summer long. We had so much fun in that thing.

This is a photo of me, my youngest cousin Amy (being held in the water by my aunt Barbara), and my two very good friends from across the lot, at my grandma's, Carman and Tadja.

{{gwi:187852}}

What are some of the things you miss the most, that you never thought you would, growing up?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions