SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wallnutz_gw

Please help me decide which 42" Zero Turn to buy

WALLNUTZ
11 years ago

Hello all,

I am new to this site. I've read some of the posts on here & it seems there are some very knowledgeable folks out there. I'm hoping you can help.

My property is a 1/2 acre of Bermuda grass and I'm on it, like clock work, every Saturday morning with my 21" push mower ... I'm done with that. I move fast & it takes me a good 1 1/2 hours, just to mow. So...I've been looking at zero turn mowers for a couple months now. I can't decide which way to go. That's where I truly hope your advise will help. The ZTRs that I'm looking at all have a 42" deck. There are 2 reasons for this 1. the gate going into my back yard is only 48.5" (yes i know hind sight 20/20) and 2. my back yard has quite a bit of turns and is slightly hilly. So ... I'm think i have narrowed it down to:

1. John Deere z225 $2,699.00 (local John Deere shop & cheapest option)

2. Toro TimeCutter MX4260 23 HP Kawasaki $3200.00 and else where retails for about $3600.00 (from a local shop my landscaper buddy has a relationship with)

3. Bad Boy MZ FR651 Kawasaki $3399.00(from a local mower/tractor shop)

The JD z225 seems like a viable option. There are a ton of happy JD owners out there but it still has a stamped deck. The other 2 have fabricated decks and the Kawi motors. The Bad Boy seems a bit sturdier, but for me will also come with a slightly higher price tag. Toro and JD move at top speed 7 mph and BB is 6 mph.

I think it goes without saying I'd like to keep the cost to a minimum, but I don't want to be penny wise & pound foolish.

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with these ZTRs? Which do you think will cut the best? How long do you think they will last me? Please help me decide. Additional mower suggestions may confuse me further but I would really like to know what you think.

Comments (6)