SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bihai

please help me with suggestions (not kidding)

bihai
17 years ago

I don't ask for help very often on decisions of landscaping, because I generally know what I want to do. But I need help now and I know that there are a lot of knowkedgeable and talented folks out there who may have suggestions for me.

I am posting 5 photos of the still pool and 20 ft stream I have in my greenhouse. I am not certain if I have ever posted photos of it before on this forum. If I have I am sorry, please humor me :-)

The problem I have is in choosing plants to go IN the stream. I want some greenery actually IN the stream.

I have the edges of the stream planted with a variety of things that are all terrestrial. There is no boggy area to put what might be commonly thought of as a "marginal". The stream is lined, and the shallower watercourse has pea gravel in the bottom and the sides are lined with stone. There is no soil. At its deepest, the stream is maybe 7-8", at its shallowest, an inch.

I already have anachris and hornwort floating in the still pool for the goldfish that lives there, also there is a containerized Cyrtospermia johnstonii that sits on top of a brick on top of the rubbermaid container that has the pump inside.

I went by an aquarium store, but was told that all of the plants that they carry need to be totally submerged (Val grass, Anubias, etc) I do NOT want Cabomba, Parrots Feather or other stuff that will get out of control and have to be constantly cleaned out.

Whatever I get needs to be able to be partially lithophytic, just able to root into the gravel or in the crevices and float or grow in the gentle current of the stream. I do NOT want a bunch or plants set in there in containers. I want things that will actually establish and grow in there in a natural state.

THANK YOU for suggestions!

{{gwi:182574}}
{{gwi:182576}}
{{gwi:182578}}
{{gwi:182580}}
{{gwi:182582}}

Comments (30)