SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttkidd

Supplemental lighting question

ttkidd
15 years ago

Three years ago I moved from a place that had full sun and great southern exposure backing onto a large open park, to one with northern exposure further shaded by a large tree. I was forced to give away most of my orchids because of the lack of light. I have a little more money in my pocket now than I did then, and IÂm considering buying some supplemental lighting.

For fear that my nosey neighbours might think IÂm operating some kind of grow-op and call the cops, IÂd like to mount the light fixture inside an old cabinet.

Cabinet inside dimensions:

30"l x 15"w x 27"h

The lighting IÂm considering:

4 bulb high output T5 fixture  2 bulbs @ 6500K and 2 @ 3000K, with each bulb providing 2000 lumen  23"l x 12.5"w x 3"h. Each bulb is 24W.

My questions:

Is this too much light for the space?

What kind of heat output can I expect from this fixture? I donÂt want to fry any orchids, nor do I want to create a potential fire hazard.

Assuming that the setup is alight, do you have any orchid suggestions? Pretty much a blank slate right now. The only orchids I was able to keep around were a few phals.

Thanks for the help,

Tyler

Comments (20)

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

Hello Tyler and welcome(from toronto :)),

The area seems a little short but with these lower wattage lights, it could be okay. I would advise against using 24W T5s though, because then you might as well just use T8s which are cheaper. If you really want the high light/small space combo, the 54W T5s are probably much better (if you want to grow really awesome higher light plants like dends/catts)...but if you go for those, you may need a taller cabinet, mainly for allowing more flexibilty in what you can grow (ie with more height space, you can have things closer and further away). For reference, I have high light plants about a foot to 2 feet away from the lights.

Another suggestion is to get compact fluorescent bulbs, but with a long narrow area like that, it might get a little annoying to get the space right.

PS - where are you getting your T5s from? :)

-Cal

• ttkidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought the wattage was a little odd as well. Most talk on gardenweb about these seems to be talking about 54W tubes. I figured they were talking about the 4'tubes though. The ones I've been looking at are 2'.

The place I was looking at is down on Eastern ave, near the Distillery district.

I tried to post a link, but this site won't let me do it for some reason. Bustan gardening supplies. You can find it with a google search.

Thanks for your help :)

Tyler

• Related Discussions

supplemental lighting calculator

Q

Comments (6)
    Jeff, I appreciate your bluntness. Lemons and limes are one thing-they are acid to start with but sweet citrus (as I've read EVERYWHERE) need sun to sweeten the fruit. I'll probably have a lemon and lime tree, but what I really want are oranges and mandarins. I spoke with a lady at a commercial greenhouse in Mansfield (can't recall the name) who said that with no extra light, their lemons and limes did well but the oranges were bland and sour most years. Could it be lack of sun? I also know that many others on this forum use extra light for tomatoes and peppers, which have similar light requirements to citrus from what I know. Maybe it's not, and I'm willing to accept that if someone speaks up that has grown good tasing oranges or mandarins in an Ohio greenhouse with no extra light then I can. Till then I'm not convinced. Also, I guess I'm going off my own experience-the ONLY WAY I've gotten any citrus to fruit indoors was by summering them outside and putting them under a 1000 watt HID light in winter-giving them about 2000-3000 foot-candles of light, which, yeah, is less than direct sun but more than cloudy daylight, and much more than cloudy daylight under greenhouse glazing and framing.
    ...See More

CFL supplemental light advice for side growth

Q

Comments (4)
    I have CFL growing experience - lots of it. Even tried an experiment trying to grow a Delicious tomato (indeterminate). Great until it reached about 15" in height. Perhaps if you had been mo-re specific in exactly what you are doing it would have generated mo-re responses? What type of plant-s? Indy, Determinate, Dwarf? How much area are you hoping to cover? Will they be in an area where the walls are covered are covered with Mylar or painted white? Will you trim the bottom leaves or let them grow? I'll presume you are growing four plant-s in 1' wide containers, two rows of two. They are determinates that will not get much over four foot tall, and the bottom leaves will be cut off once they start to turn the least bit yellow. Going out on a very weak limb, my guess is a minimum of 50 watts per side, 200 watts total. There is an iron-clad law about growing that one cannot get around - plant-s need X-number of mols per day to produce fruit. (A mol is a measurement of the total light intensity a plant gets, sort of like a rain gauge measures rainfall over a total day, not drops per minute.) You can Google to determine how to calculate mols/day needed or search this forum - I have posted the info. Leaves contributing to photosyntheses need the minimum of mols per day if you want great production. HTH, Mike
    ...See More

Questions about supplemental lighting.

Q

Comments (1)
    I dont think that LED's put out any notable heat.
    ...See More

CO2 supplementation question

Q

Comments (3)
    Here is what I was referring to in the link below. This CO2 generator is rated for a 15' x 15' room. The BTU rating of this thing is similar to what would be recommended for an actual heater for the same size GH, around 9k - 11k. So what that tells me is, in any climate with enough sunshine to where the photosynthetic rate would truly benefit from CO2 supplementation, the combo of solar heat gain plus the heat generated by the CO2 generator itself, would mean sky high temperatures and a need for ventilation, then blowing out all the CO2 just generated! However, doing my calculations for using CO2 tanks, you have to buy so many tanks over the course of even just a month the cost becomes astronomical. Not to mention the actual logistics of moving a tank around every couple of days. Here is a link that might be useful: CO2 generator
    ...See More
  • westoh Z6
    15 years ago

Tyler,

AHSUPPLY.COM (probably others too) have some aquarium type lights that might fit that space very well. Not sure about them shipping to CA, but something similar is probably available up north. I used their site to order and build a 2x55watt kit and am very happy. I believe each 55 watt bulb produces @4000 lumens.

I've actually replaced the worn-out 55's with 55's that I found at another site, their's were less expensive than AH's and were offered in more 'color' ranges.

HTH,

Bob

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

Ah yeah I've shopped at bustan before .. it's right near the university. The 54W lamps are much brighter and come in 2' as well as 4' lengths. I found a cheap place to get bulbs out east near Scarborough (hydrotech hydroponics...their website seems to be down but they had an excellent online catalogue a while back..12 bucks a bulb, compared to the 30 something bustan charges) but the fixture is harder to find. To the best of my knowledge, 54W bulbs cannot be used with anything but a 54W fixture. I have heard that different quality reflectors will change the amount of light you get, and I chickend out and ordered a brand-name one.

Like Bob, I also ordered my fixtures from an aquarium shop in vancouver (J&L aquatics) as even with shipping and handling, it was cheaper than getting it from bustan.

• ttkidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't even think of checking aquarium supplies. Thanks for the tip. I'll definately do some more shopping around before I make the purchase.

So it sounds like the lighting levels won't be too much for the space, but what about the heat? I understand they don't have much of a heat output, but even a little can amount to a large temperature change in an enclosed space. If the space is too small, I could just get rid of the cabinet and re-fit the closet I've been hiding it in for the light setup. It would allow for a little more room....I'd just have to buy a bench to set everything up on.

I'm afraid the lighting is going to be a required purchase now. I don't know why i did it, but I was surfing e-bay on the weekend and before I knew it I had bought 7 new orchids.

On a side note, I got a bit frustrated when I got home from work today. It looks like a little critter has been nibbling the root tips off of one of the phals I put outside for the summer. :(

• howard_a
    15 years ago

"So it sounds like the lighting levels won't be too much for the space..."

But will it be enough? Regular 2' tubes of the T12 variety were 20W. I do not know what the wattage of 2' T8 bulbs are but their 4' counterparts are 33W. Bottom line, with T5 you wouldn't be doing all that much better than conventional fluorescent and they don't do well at all on their own. Heat definitely would be an issue. One approach is to have the bulbs outside the case shining light in through a glass top. The other will involve lots of fans or even A/C ($$$). Small cases IMO just don't work for orchid keeping. Orchids are not small plants and they are adapted to very well ventilated environments. Yes, one could confine themselves to miniature plants only but... ... the double elipsis tells you what I think of that approach. Closet sized systems are a little better but you will need two or three levels because the light penetration of a single bank of lights is only a couple of feet or less. The orchid keeper just entering the hobby has a much better variety of light options than 10 or 20 years aga: Wonderlite, LED (white or blue/red), HID, CFL. Tube type lights are for fish, or seedlings. At least if one must use tubes for whatever reason use 4' or longer. They nick you hard on 2' tubes because they are a special order and the 2000 lumen output can be equaled by any household 20W CFL sold at the Dollar Tree.

H

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Hi, Tyler,

Another option is to go back to supplemental lights in front of the windows. I've got 5'x 5' windows and a set of double sliding glass doors out here in the 'burbs. The glass doors have 2 octopus floor lamps w/ CFLs, and some fixtures are aimed straight at the doors. The windows have T8s and CFLs right against them. From the street, it's quite the show.

I figure the cops will have a good laugh if they check it out - crazy orchid people.

Unless you don't want the law in your place for some other reason... :)

Whitecat8

• ttkidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It looks like I've waded into a bit of a controvertial topic. I did some reading in the Growing Under Lights forum, and there are almost as many opinions over there regarding lighting options as there are posters.

You are 100% correct on the cost of the 2' fixtures Howard. I looked into the lighting supply sources suggested above, and the 4' fixture at J&L aquatics was about $4 more expensive than the 2' fixtures. The 3' fixtures were considerably more expensive than the 4'. I'm not sure about multiple banks of lights though. Before giving away most of my orchids a few years ago, I only had 25. I hadn't really considered getting more than that for now, as I'm space limited even disregarding the cabinet. I've got a 1 bedroom apartment downtown Toronto.

Calvin, what is your experience so far growing under the T5s?

It sounds like the cabinet is out for sure, but I'll keep looking into what I can do with the closet idea (600 sq.ft apartment, and 5 closets....go figure...), and while I would never intentionally grow anything illegal you never know what one of my friends would try to slip in there. One of them is especially fond of her famous brownies :).

There's another orchid grower on my street. They're much higher up than I am, but their kitchen window is like a beacon in the night :)

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

My neighbors say I have a landing strip,

One corner of my living room - Nov. 07
    {{gwi:184824}}

This is a small room with only North light. I put some lower light plants and seedlings there with CFL's. This room is warmer than the living room.

{{gwi:184826}}

If you use floor lamps you can set up lights almost anywhere. Of course, near windows would provide more light.

Jane

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Jane, love your landing strip lights. :)

Tyler, if you're looking over your plants every coupla days - hard to miss an invasive species. :) If your friend knew the stakes were orchid life and death, maybe she'd find another home for the brownie ingredients.

The bedroom:

{{gwi:184827}}

The living room:

{{gwi:140833}}

You can let your lights shine and start establishing your good guy cred w/ the cops.

Easy for me to say - WC8

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

Great pics of setups, everyone!

Tyler - The 4' T5s have been working well for me..so far at least. I've had them for about 5 months now, and the plants are growing with no additional ambient lighting; here are some images of new growth that I've observed from various genera under the lights: (Sorry I didn't manage to get a full setup pic...my camera died just as I captured the last photo)

{{gwi:184828}}
    Cynoches barthiorum

{{gwi:184829}}
    Phal. equestris

{{gwi:184831}}
    Aeranthes grandiflora (3rd bud now)

{{gwi:152102}}
    Aer. grandiflora new growth

{{gwi:184833}}
    Dend. Lori's Star

{{gwi:184835}}
    Dend. capra new growth

Caveat - nothing besides the aeranthes has actually bloomed under the lights, although I have buds on the dends (as you can see above) as well as a dend tobaense x cruentum (dend. peng seng) I have. The cynoches is the most impressive, having sprung that huge growth from an old 3 inch rootless pbulb I ordered just 5 months ago.

Hope this helps!
    -Cal

• ttkidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great pictures everyone! I hope I can get some plants looking that good soon. I ended up ordering a 4' t5 fixture, and I'll see how that goes for a while. If I need more light, I'll look at getting some CFLs. A buddy is coming by this weekend to help me clear all the junk out of the closet so I can set things up. I have next week off work, so hopefully I can get everything set up.

3 of the 7 orchids I ordered arrived today. Miniature dendrobiums, all variations on Den moniliforme. Cute and quite tiny.

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Love those little bitty Dens, and I've got 8 Den moniliformes. Post pix when you can.

Oh, and where did you get your plants?

Whitecat8

• ttkidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found them on e-bay through Tropical Gardens, here in Toronto. How do you grow yours? I'm thinking of mounting mine, but they look so small and delicate I'm almost afraid to breath on them.

Tyler

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

Yes, please enlighten us, WC8, on your dend moniloformes! I've been dying to try one as well...Calvin (the owner of tropical gardens) is a pal of mine and I've been meaning to buy one off him but I've never got around to it.

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Tyler, which plants did you get? My bias is for unmounting as many mounties as possible - the daily misting/spraying/watering isn't for me. However, the grower may be able to advise you.

My small Dens may not be as small as yours. They're all in pots:

Den aberrans
    Den ceraula (gonzalesii)
    Den laevifolium
    Den sulcatum
    Den unicum

My only Den hybrid w/ moniliforme in the background is Den Himezakura 'Sanokku,' a Yamamoto nobile-type Den that stays about 10" tall - definitely not tiny and fragile. Easy (for my conditions, anyway) and recommended, if you like that type Den. He's also got several others with more brilliant flowers.

Calvin, my Den mons are still an experiment: They may not get enough light here to bloom well.

Winter and spring, '07, I got 8, almost all from Jason Fischer @ Orchids Ltd. (orchidweb.com). They were in sphag in plastic pots, and I repotted them the same way this spring.

They've been in the cooler living room (see picture above) w/ E/SE light from the double sliding glass doors. Supplemental light is from 2 octopus lamps w/ 26W CFL bulbs. Winter night temps are 58F; summer night temps are in the mid-60s - low 70s. Humidity % are low 20s - 40s.

Jason speaks Japanese and has been studying Den mon culture w/ some of the old Japanese growers for several years.

His culture notes:

1. No fertilizer, ever. (Of course, the guy @ New World Orchids told me he brings back a special fertilizer from Japan.)

2. For water, Jason said I should add 10% of my (wretched quality) tap water to the reverse osmosis water every time, so the plant will get enough minerals and trace elements. If your tap water is suitable for orchids, you can use it all the time. (Now I'm using only water from a nearby spring that local orchid growers swear by and add no tap water.)

3. November through February, make sure the sphag is "crispy dry" before watering.

4. From March through May, the sphag should be "barely damp" before watering.

5. June & July  the sphag can be "soaking wet" almost all the time - very slight drying.

6. August through October - sphag barely damp before watering.

7. Once a month, spray w/ horticultural oil to prevent whiteflies. (This may apply more to commercial greenhouses than home growing; however, I've found whiteflies on a couple of plants occasionally.)

8. Summer outside, if possible.

This winter/spring, 2-3 plants had only 3-4 flowers each. Another plant has several buds on it now, but they may not bloom.

I'll give them another couple of years. If you've got more light, yours could flower much better.

WC8

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I've enjoyed peeking into everyone's growing spaces, and seeing what kind of supplemental lighting is being used!

I have a few lights, myself, but nothing as nice as those wonderful floor lamps! If my husband comes back from his trip up north without the light system I'm borrowing from a friend who isn't using it right now, I'm definitely going to get a couple of those floor lamps with multiple arms!

Even though I don't use that many lights right now, my east and north windows throw out beacons of light at night, and I'm really surprised that the local Sheriff hasn't stopped in to see what the crop is!

Thanks for sharing those great photos! Beautiful plants, everyone!

• ttkidd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The three Dens I got recently were Dendrobium moniliforme 'Tosa Fukurin', Dendrobium moniliforme `Ogon Maru', and Dendrobium moniliforme 'Kimaru'. I have them in sphag, in small 2" ceramic pots presently. Even there they look a little overpotted, though the moss is drying out pretty much every day. They came in sphag and I think I'll keep them in sphag for now, and look into mounting them another time. No point stressing them out even more after shipping.

I have them under lights now :) My light fixture arrived this morning and I went out after to buy the lights. It's very bright...looks brighter than the sun on my balcony outside. Despite the brightness though, the fixture hasn't raised the temperature much after running straight for a few hours. Just in case, I put a small fan on the floor in there.

Thanks for the culture tips WC8. I've been reading up on them on my own, and most also mention a required temperature drop during the winter for flowering. I'm not sure I can provide that with the current setup, but I'll try to think of something.

I have some space to fill in with new orchids now. :)

• HollyT
    15 years ago

I have 125 watt CFL's on in my greenhouse 12 hours/day in winter, and i'm sure the local gendarmes must have taken a peek at what's growing in there. They never ring the doorbell, so I assume they know the difference bet oncidiums and cannabis.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I run supplemental lighting 14 hours a day on timers, and since my apartment is on the second floor, anyone interested in getting a look at my "crop" would HAVE to knock on the door! They'd be met by a pack of barking dogs, at which point they'd probably think the lighting WAS from a crop of cannabis, that the dogs were there to protect my interests, and that I WAS running the local "grow house"!

I can picture uniformed officers tripping up my stairs, guns drawn, shouting orders... dogs barking all around... arriving at the top, only to find that a few orchids were responsible for the mass of light spilling through the windows at night! What an image!

And it's only going to get brighter as I add more lighting!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville