SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annedickinson

My stream is finished

annedickinson
14 years ago

And I hate it.. however, it is finished!! At least for this weekend. I'm sure I'll be tweaking it here and there til it is more satisfying. I rebuilt the last stream 10 times before I was willing to sit back and just enjoy it. Ignore any black plastic you see. It will be covered. I hate having the plastic showing.

My pump is acting funny. Don't know if the impeller is having a problem or there is gunk in there to be cleaned out, though I took it apart and cleaned it. So I'm not getting quite the flow I would like - matter of fact it is down right whimpy which is adding to my dissatisfation. Will check into this in the next week or so.

The water in the pond is still green and I am continuing to be patient, though the UV light gizmos sound more and more interesting.

HOWEVER... the stream is finished. I learned a valuable lesson... expanding foam is just that, even after you have gone to bed. It was something like those scary movie ads you see on tv!!! AND... even if the foam from hell takes over, you can still miss a microdot of space for the water to flow AROUND and UNDER the rocks instead of over them.

{{gwi:180274}}

The positive side is that the foam is easily cut away and, I've learned from experience, will turn a greenish yucky color that blends into the shadows over time. Here are the same two falls after I've doctored them with my trusty knife. Hmm guess I don't have the picture of the final spillway all doctored up, but you can see it in other pics. This is the middle one that was so bad, but it LEAKS - not out of the pond, just the water runs under the waterfall:

{{gwi:180275}}

This is the head of the falls. As I said, the flow is pretty whimpy at the moment, so the water isn't cascading the way I want, but it is flowing. In a moment of total stupidity I bought a rock at the pet shop this winter. I will not tell you how much I paid for it, but I was sure going to use it in this stupid stream. It is the one with two cup-shaped parts in the head of the falls.

{{gwi:180276}}

And of course we can't forget the "Boys"!!! This was when they first saw the new stream:

{{gwi:180277}}

{{gwi:180278}}

And finally, here is the over-all picture:

From the head of the falls looking down toward the pond:

{{gwi:180279}}

From the far end of the pond looking up toward the head of the stream:

{{gwi:180281}}

I have lots of plants to put in and want to move one area back to make a bog garden (I pointed an arrow to that) and may make some other changes.

As I said, I don't really like it, but it is done. Now I can get one with other yard work which is out of hand.

Anne

Comments (4)