SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfmuehling

What happens in a lasagna garden?

cfmuehling
17 years ago

Well, I can tell you! :)

I had built 2 20 and 15' (respectively) x 6' raised bed gardens when I moved out to the country. On a slight grade, they went from about 1' to 3.5' deep. This began in 2004.

With the help of these boards, I layered, layered, layered, planted, mulched, composted, top soiled, leaf growed, and repeated. They have been happy, healthy, and wonderful gardens.

We had a house fire in December and life changed. During our rebuilding, I had to dig out all the plants from these gardens and move them. Much more than I expected survived the firemen and their stomping feet, but the chemicals killed some things. So much for an organic, non pesticide using home, right? Anyway...

My husband built me a long, raised bed out farther in the yard and I began the potting and dirt moving. It's taken me over a month to shovel the healthy dirt from the beds into this new bed and I'm now burying things in pots in the new bed for winter.

I've gone through all the layers of what is now lovely, rich dirt. I was amazed that there was absolutely no sign of the cardboard, newspaper, grass, straw, years of tax filings, house garbage, horse poop, several years of leaves, a 60' oak tree's chopped up dead branches, and many other wonderful things. Granted, some would expectedly disappear and work into the soil. But you'd think some of that stuff would at least leave a sign!

When I made these beds, I planted immediately. Didn't wait for decomposition, didn't fuss with the "what abouts." I stuck plants in and off we went.

So if you're wondering what's at the bottom of your raised beds? Now you know.

Wish me luck.

Christine

Comments (5)