SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

August in Earnest

calliope
16 years ago

It's hit, and my cup runneth over. Man, I love this month!

Last night, I sat outside under wonderfully clear skies, and a new moon and watched celestial fireworks. It was the peak night for the Perseid meteor shower. My eyes were heavy, as my husband and I decided that for supper, we'd have corn.

That's it. Corn. As much as we could eat, dripping with butter and salted. After loosing about four hundred plants to chipmunks, I managed to replant four hundred plants and at the time putting them all in at once seemed like a good idea. LOL. We had rains, and we had excellent pollination and the ears are swelling and each kernel is filled and plump. The reality of we can't eat it fast enough to keep up with the garden has hit. I'll need to take a day to process some for winter, and the second run of corn is already zooming upward!

OK, I lay down last night to catch a little shut-eye after practically foundering myself on a corn supper, and awoke this morning before the roosters started crowing and watched the meteor showers some more, a cuppa joe in one my mitts. There was a wonderful mist settled over the lowlands, even though the sky was clear and it was ethereal. By then, the bats had gone to wherever they go to sleep and I wasn't taunted by their silent swoops.

I decide this is a good day to pull up my bean plants and the bounty is washed and bagged up to can tomorrow. So, I goes ahead and pull the shallots. This year they are larger than the onions and I just wished I'd entered them in the fair. I have been doing them the last two years from seed, and this year the variety is called Prisma. I left the leeks in the bed, as that'll be what we use come winter.

I moved on to harvesting the carrots, and I think I really underestimated how many I planted. LOL. I've been using on them all last month, but don't want them to get woody on me, so yanked about 3/4 of a bushel of them. Oh, sigh, I've been cleaning them and running them for slices through the food processor all evening and I am not even half done. I put it away for the night. Guess I'll do those when I have the canner out for the beans. As I'm walking the dog by the garden, I notice a cantaloupe peeking out through the vines, and uhm, it's not GREEN anymore. Egad, I tug gently and it releases from the vine. EEEK. The lopes are coming on! Not to mention I've already done pickles and donated cukes to the charity kitchen and the vines are heavy with them again, so I have a small mountain of them sitting next to the pump in the kitchen. Don't even mention tomatoes. This year, after the cold spell broke and it's heated up, they're all coming on at once! I've a dozen little chicks in a box under brooding lights, and two hens sitting eggs for more, due to hatch soon. The other hens are egging so much, I had to take the eggs I'd be making into more noodles to my Mother's house to put in her fridge.

The tree frogs are going nutcakes at night, and Mr. Garter, my little snake friend is taken residence up by my back door and my heavenly blue morning glories by my back door this year have decided to go variegated! It's a surprise every day as they open up to see how fancy the blooms shall be. BTW, the dragonflies are doing their courtship dances in the air, and a couple of them in a mad embrace zipped past me this morning, clumsily flying together.

I think I'm sort of booked up solid in the kitchen and notice the elderberries are ready to be picked, and so I thought I'd better check the grapes........they won't be far behind. Sure enough, they're turning purple. I have two vines just loaded, and four more vines at my Mother's house. I've reclaimed a lowboy I gave my SIL, and suspect that this is the year I finally try my hand at making wine. LOL. I'm gonna need a snort before this is all said and done with for the season!

What's up for summer at your house?

Comments (19)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor
More Discussions