SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mazela

animals and my wine barrels

mazela
15 years ago

well. to follow on,with my rainwater and goldfish// animals and my fish.

they only trouble i have had with with fish has been kookaburras.

i used to have a heron come now and then but since i have 2 mini foxies( and they do not like intruders) he left soonish.

i have had these wine barrels about 1 years left open(maybe being foolish i never gave it much thought) but then we had 2 baby kookaburras visit 1 day and since we feed all other birds we just added them to the list (we had other kookaburras feeding occasionally as well, no trouble)

i asked my hubby if he thought kookaburras ate fish and he remarked he did'nt think so, only the ones that you saw on the rivers ate fish, so i left it at that..

one weekend i saw 1 in the tree with something orange in its beak, and yes by the time i did the count it had eaten 6 out of 15. holy crap.

i love feeding birds, but that NOT what i had in mind.

i now cover the barrels with large aviary wire and black bird netting on top of that, UGLY , i know but it works,

when we get the new pond we intend to cover it with sturdy rigid aviary wire painted black. black is good at least you can see throught it. NO CHOICE i am aftraid, the kookies still look longingly at it , but thats all.And no we do not have problems with kangaroos, too far in the suburbs i am afraid.

mazela

Comments (2)