SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
timnz_gw

Help improving lawn quality

timnz
10 years ago

Hi all,

New member here, nice to find a forum with people who know something about grass and lawns :)

I'd really appreciate some advice on improving my lawn. I've replanted it again and I'm on my third lawn in 5 years, the old one got grass grub and was too far gone to save, and another was an inappropriate type of grass - it looked like a field. The current lawn's ok, a little patchy in that it grows ok most places, but there are a dozen spots where it's greener and grows really well. There are also spots between a cm and 10cm across with no grass growing at all. There are quite a few leaves spread across it, and dogs seem to like using my lawn as a toilet, and I have no idea how to stop them. I'd really like to rejuvenate it and have a really nice lawn.

I'm in New Zealand, we're just going into Spring. I have a lawn made of fine turf ryegrass and fine fescue. The lawn base is clay type soil, with 10-20cm of good soil over the top, though some of the clay seems to have made its way up. There's good drainage through the lawn, but water pools when it's raining hard. The lawn was planted late summer (around 6 months ago), but due to a drought right after I planted it had a hard and slow start. I think I seeded well though, everything was raked flat, seed spread, then raked in.

I put down organic pellet fertilizer twice a year - it has manure, seaweed, blood and bone, etc. I put down some artificial fertilizer occasionally as well. I've also put down something called "clay breaker".

The lawn seems very hard and quite compact. In places it seems like moss is growing. The tips of the grass were going brown/yellow, but a cut seems to have bought it back - I cut on the highest setting. In general it gets good sun for part of the day, but not all day. Some small parts don't get much sun, or for only limited times during the day.

I'd like to throw out some new seed to help it take off, but the soil's so hard I wonder if it'd take. I considered core aeration, but I read here that people don't really rate that is necessary all the time.

Can anyone give me some tips? Hopefully I'll work out how to add more pictures.

Thanks,

Tim

Comments (17)