SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stitzelweller

Phaius Spell-ing Po-lice

stitzelweller
15 years ago

As a result of the current GW Orchid Forum thread "Older phaius tankerville bulbs rotting - help", I decided to check the info on the Phaius species that we were discussing. To my amazement, I learned that OrchidWiz recognizes Phaius wallichii as the correct name for the species commonly known as Phaius tankervilliae!

Years ago, wallichii was downgraded; it was no longer a separate species. It became known only as Phaius tankervilliae. The Internet Orchid Species Photo Encyclopedia (Jay Pfahl) continues the same. FWIW, years ago, tankervilliae was also known as Phaius grandifolius.

After some reflection, I decided to pose a question to a different forum group. The question, "Phaius--what is the accepted name today, tankervilliae? wallichii?"

A reader quickly sent an article published in 2004 in the Kew Bulletin by Cribb, Sun and Barretto--"Phaius tankervilleae and P wallichi (Orchidaceae), a pair of confused species". Note the changed spelling-- tankervilleae.

The current thinking is that these are separate, distinct species, Phaius tankervilleae and Phaius wallichii. Fortunately, I own both species! I will merely correct the one's spelling.

I am content that throughout the years, I was correct in keeping all labels intact! For the future, I may choose to purchase the old hybrid of these two species Phaius Gravesiae 'Titan' AM/AOS! It's truly beautiful, it's a monster and it's memorable!

The Kew article is available for anyone wishing to DL a PDF Adobe Reader attachment. Email any requests offline, please.

_-Stitz--

Comments (2)

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    I gave up on names a long time ago. As if nature didn't provide enough variety .Humans have crossed and recrossed until the names are meaningless anyway.
    I have a Phaius tag that says "phaius" tankersville x flava hybridus. Looks exactly what I know as Tanks but the flowers are red and yellow lol Also have a noid that has brown flowers . How about Phaio calanthe for even more confusion lol I'll leave the names to the botanists lol gary

• stitzelweller
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gary, you were correct when you wrote, "Humans have crossed and recrossed until the names are meaningless anyway." At least, that is substantially true with the two Phaius species, wallichii and tankervilleae. When, for decades, no distinction was made between the two and the suggestion was that they are the same species, it is reasonable to conclude that finding the "pure bred" species will be more difficult in the future and that's a shame.

Your tag labeled "phaius" tankersville x flava hybridus is a good example. Phaius Hybridus was registered in 1892 by Jewett as a cross between wallichii and grandifolius, according to the RHS, The International Orchid Register. Simultaneously, Jewett registered Gravesiae as a cross between wallichii and tankervilliae, presumably to cover his bum! OR, were there noteworthy distinctions between grandifolius and tankervilliae that are lost? I guess that we need to find some obscure writings from Jewett to know for certain!!

:-)

--Stitz--

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio