SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnys_mom

Dendrobium Gatton Sunray

sunnys_mom
16 years ago

Hi, I am fairly new to orchid gardening, but I have had some success with Phals, Oncidium and various other plants I rescued from Home Depot. But over the weekend, I went completely crazy and bought a 20 year old Gatton Sunray from a greenhouse sale. Needless to say, it's huge! It had a few dozen flowers, some already on the way out and some that were good. After a few days, all the flowers pretty much died and are falling off. I had put it outside on my terrace where it gets bright sun for the morning, then shade in the afternoon. I'm attributing that to the shock of its losing its greenhouse home of 20 years, and I'm not too worried about that. What I am confused about is how much water to give it. I've been reading everything I can find and some sites say "copious" amounts of water and fertilizer for the summer and others just say to cut back on the water and fertiziler in the winter. What does this mean? Water every day in the summer? Every other day? Because when I do give it a little bit of water, it just flows out the bottom of the pot anyway. I really don't want to screw this up because the man who sold it to me is the one who grew it for 20 years and he's also an officer of my Orchid Club. Any insight you can provide will be greatly appreciate.

Comments (9)