SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire1_2008

Bandwidth Bandit??? Posting photos and links to photos

claire1_2008
15 years ago

Hi All,

I have a few questions on how you post a photo on this and other forums. Off and on I've tried the steps provided on this and other web sites and I can't get my photos to post from Snapfish. Today I was on

http://www.ibdguy.com/posting.shtml

They have a great site to practice posting photos but I still couldn't get mine to work which tells me that Snapfish is hiding the exact file name to these photos. Just coping the URL address doesn't work and there isn't a "properties" option to see what the full name is. I may be missing something because I can attach a link in the "Optional Link" field and it goes right to my picture. If I'm just not seeing the full file name of a photo please let me know how it's done. I have a Mac OS X instead of a PC so that might make a difference.

The above mentioned web site goes on to say that using these free photo sites is stealing bandwidth. Here is part of what they've written:

"For example, some people discover a 'free image' site and then assume that it's okay to link to the images (with the img tag). The webmaster at a site may put up images for free download and free use (on your web site, in your email or on your computer). However, they DO NOT want you to use 'remote links' i.e. link to the images on their site.

If you use remote links to their images, you are a bandwidth bandit!"

Does this refer to sites that supply their own images that people may want to use or is it also related to images that you store on photo sites like Snapfish and photobucket? Neither site states how to post from your account to message boards.

How are others storing their photos that they post online? Is there a better site to use other than Snapfish that allows posting without stealing bandwidth?? I've included a link to a photo at Snapfish for anyone who wants to check this out.

Thanks,

Claire

Here is a link that might be useful: Where's the PSB?

Comments (3)