SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Size does matter.

orchidnick
13 years ago

10 years ago I bought a Vanda, a bluish/purplish hybrid. The vendor displayed a 'sample plant' with beautiful 4 1/2" flowers. He wanted $400 for that plant, but the little ones were the usual $20 or so, that's what I took home. After waiting a few years it bloomed with very disappointing 3" or smaller flowers. It faithfully kept blooming and as the years went by the flowers got bigger and bigger. It probably reached it's maximum size of 4 1/2" flowers 3 years ago.

It also started a keiki at that time and right now both the keiki and mom are blooming at the same time. The first bloom for the keiki is full size, same as mom, a nice display.

I initially was disappointed at the small flowers, similar disappointment was expressed by others in our society who found small flowers on plants which were represented to have larger ones. At that time none of us seemed to know that Vandas get successively larger flowers as they get older until they reach maximum size.

Mom is getting tall, I need to find a new home for them. I know many of the Floridians in the group grow them well. What's the best way to handle a tall Vanda with a gaggle of roots hanging down at least a foot. I would like to have it sitting on the ground tied to a stake but am not sure how to do it. Was planning a large pot full of gravel with a sizable stake secured by the weight of the rock. Then placing the plant on top of all of this so that the roots never get planted in the rock, instead are draped on top of it. The bottom of the plant would be at least 8" above the rock. Another little wrinkle is that there is a 4" basket in the middle of the gaggle of roots which would have to stay. Getting it out would seriously damage the root ball.

Any other suggestions?

Nick

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations