SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zoecalifornia_gw

My 3-month old sod is looking weird

ZoeCalifornia
12 years ago

Hello! I've read extensively your amazing advice to people who have said, "Help, my sod is dying!" which is exactly what I Googled today to find you. I've read your perfect explanations on watering, and I will start today to adjust that. (By the way, "bestlawn's" reply as to how and why to do less watering was amazing. It was like the heavens parted and the angels started to sing.) But I have another issue. And first, my details:

- Live 20 miles southwest of Los Angeles, temps stay mid 70s to mid 80s in summer

- Laid down sod in late July this year, Medallion Dwarf Bonsai

-- Patch of lawn is 400 sq feet of flat, full sun (zero shade)

-- Used to water every 4 days, 15 minutes of full coverage, but with your expertise, I'll cut down to 1 a week (or 1 inch a week) starting today.

-- I can touch the ground between my blades and it's never, ever been dry.

-- I have fed it Scotts Turf Builder after 1 month, with good results.

-- During the first 10-15 days of new sod, I used a Miracle Grow nozzle thingy to water my lawn till mushy.

My two issues/questions:

1. I just noticed today that the places where the blades are much thinner/srawnier and darker, I cannot poke a 1/8" metal stick down past 3". Stick bends. Lushy places, stick does down 6"+. Will it help if I aerate my new sod by poking holes in the ground all the way till I reach 6"+ inches of easy poking? I understand you cannot aerate new sod for at least a year. I tried using the sandals just now and was horrified that they were actually pulling up the sod from the soil.
  2. What's wrong here -- when I cut it (leaving it 2-3" tall), each blade has a yellow inside and top, but green lush sides. Weird. You'd think it would be fresh green all around. I look closely and the cross section is green on outside, but yellow inside. What can cause that? Is this bad? My husband says to quit fretting about it because it's the best lawn in the neighborhood, but it seems wrong to me. I did have a grub problem 3 weeks ago, but used insecticide and I'm guessing they're gone. Grass is consistently like this, it's not a new thing. Always with the yellow insides, green outsides.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)