SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilod_gw

Quote 7/9/07

lilod
16 years ago

Written history is, in fact, nothing of the kind; it is the fragmentary record of the often inexplicable actions of innumerable bewildered human beings, set down and interpreted according to their own limitations by other human beings, equally bewildered.

Veronica Wedgwood

My take is that dates and events are objective, but interpretation is very subjective and changes often

Comments (20)

• Pidge
    16 years ago

An axcellent definition of history, Lilo. I frequently tell my students that history is written by the winners and it's their perspective that drives the narrative.

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

"Everyone agrees the events occurred, but no one agrees on just how or why, or which aftereffects were caused by a particular event."
    [D. Buchanan]

• andie_rathbone
    16 years ago

Pidge, history is often written by the losers, and when that happens things are likely to become even more distorted than when the winners are writing the chronicles.

• Pidge
    16 years ago

I was speaking in a more general sense, Andie, but of course you have a good point. There is plenty of revisionist stuff around, including Holocaust deniers, etc., that is downright dangerous. What I meant was that, in general, most history is written by the people who determine cultural perspectives, in particular white males, and until very recently not women, poor people, POC, etc. On that level, it's been the "winners" who tell the story mostly about themselves. Fortunately, that situation, like the literary canon, is undergoing significant change.

• endorphinjunkie
    16 years ago

Stereotyping all white males, are we?

• mwoods
    16 years ago

"Sterotyping ALL white males." Isn't Pidge talking about only those who have,in the past, documented and written history,and done it from their own perspective which of course would be the case,just as women would do if they had been the ones to write our history Where is she talking about all men and where is she stereotyping? Please can you be more specific as to which part of her statement you are referring?

• endorphinjunkie
    16 years ago

"in particular white males", no other qualifications....

• calliope
    16 years ago

Take it in perspective, Dorph. That would be sort of introspective and pertain to this country. In other countries, it would be brown males, black males, red males and yellow males and every variation in between. There have been matriarchal societies, but for the most part, education and literature have been the exclusive dominion of the sex/caste/race with power and that would have been almost exclusively males. No discrimination intended in the least. It's just the way it was/is. To be honest about it doesn't infer any type of discrimination.

If this weren't the case, George Eliot, Currer Bell, Isak Dinesen and J.K. Rowling would have used names like Mary Ann.

• endorphinjunkie
    16 years ago

It sure would be nice if Dr. Pidge and I, two educated and intellectual equals, could disport without anyone else's approbation......

• mwoods
    16 years ago

LOL..a private conversation on an Internet forum? I think Pidge might not agree with your statement ( guess which part) but she'll have to address that.

• endorphinjunkie
    16 years ago

Then, why not let Dr. Pidge speak for herself? She's quite capable, you know....

Hmmm, does the fact that you choose to speak for her tell us more about you than it tells us about what Dr. Pidge thinks?

Suzy, as usual, you state your case brilliantly

• sheila
    16 years ago

LOL! How nice to start the day with a good laugh.

• endorphinjunkie
    16 years ago

I would LOL at the LOL crowd,
    But then I'd be not proud,
    'cause to LOL is in truth,
    sometimes simply
    being Loud.....

• mwoods
    16 years ago

Methinks upon musin you protest too much,
    about LOL,being noisy and such,
    your own posts tend to get quite loud,
    when attempting to attract the GP crowd.
    LOL means laughing,and showing much glee,
    while exclamation points simply mean
    Look At Me!!!!!
    I'm Mellllllltttiiiinnnggggg !
    Drat!!!!
    Double Dog Rant !!!!
    Comet !!!!
    I Woke Up To Cold Weather !!!
    etc. etc. etc.

Out of Kindergarten now,and back to the real world. LOL

• endorphinjunkie
    16 years ago

I haven't got personal with you Marda. Nor will I step over that line.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    16 years ago

No? I rather think you already did Michael. I really tend to make a point of not commenting when threads get like this, but you did imply that the rest of us weren't "educated or intellectually equals", and thus unfit to share in a public discussion on an internet forum, which I found pretty darned offensive. And then the rhyme about laughter being nothing but 'loud'??

Michael, I don't know what's bugging you today, but I think your responses weren't fair or constructive, which surprised me.

So, let's all cool off, forgive each other, and hope for a better day tomorrow, eh?

What's for dinner?

• Pidge
    16 years ago

Oh for Pete's sake, let's get over this. When I wrote that most history is written by the winners, in particular white males, I was stating what I think is generally the case in a patriarchal culture. There was no sterertyping of "all white males" going on, only that most (a word that is a qualifier) of our history books were and probably still are written by white men. I also noted that "until recently" there were few women or POC, etc., who were writing the history books---which implies that now there are, as in my statement that "that situation is undergoing significant chenge." I have no idea how my statement has been somehow turned into an attack on white males.

I also don't think "Dr. Pidge" (where the heck did that come from?) needs to be forgiven for anything.

• acorn
    16 years ago

I'm proud of my high school diploma, can I still post here?

• calliope
    16 years ago

You know, paintings, poems, essays, thoughts and ideas, philosophies, arguments and even silly little limericks stand on their own merit. Credentials are only needed if they're weak and need support.

The discussions following quotes are usually very thought provoking, and interesting. Once, someone who posted a quote resented even getting responses. Quotes beg for responses, and they should be from people looking at life from other angles, the more the merrier.

Acorn, I love the quote about Gods and Demons from your poem! What inspired that and how did you mean it? Yes, please do post the whole poem if you get a chance. I'd love to read it all!

• acorn
    16 years ago

calliope, you came close to the intent of "Dreamtime" with only two lines. When I get home I'll post the whole thing.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions