SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamabear_on

Need help to ID a bird

mamabear_on
17 years ago

Hello everyone. I have been a member of GW for a few years and have not been able to participate much in the last couple of years due to work schedule but I do drop in now and then to see what is going on.

I know that a few of you are good with birds and I was wondering if I could get some help to ID a bird that my son rescued from the park. We brought the injured bird to the rescue center and they could not ID it for us. I have seen these birds fly at night/early evening in groups and only in the last year or so.

I`m sorry that I do not have a pic to show. I thought of taking one with the digital but figured that the rescue center would be able to tell me what type of bird it is.

The general description of the bird fits that of a nighhawk but the colour and size are wrong. This bird fits in the palm of my hand. It has the wings and head and beek of the nighthawk, but is brown in color, almost like a common sparrow and has a cream colored chest. It also has black bands over the eyes like a raccoon. It`s wings are longer than the tail feathers and the tail feathers have what look like needles at the end of each tailfeather and it have 5 or 6 tail feathers. The needle like tail feathers a very pointy and the nighhawk, from what I can see from the pics does not have these and is about twice the size.

This is a very attractive bird. The women from the rescue center stated that she has never seen a bird like this one and when she called someone else for assistance they could not help either.

To sum up the description of this bird.

- 4 - 5 inches in lenght

- brown with cream chest

- long pointed wings

- short tail with needle-like ends

- raccoon like bands over the eyes

- body type and beek similar to a nighthawk

I really wished that I had taken a pic, but hopefully someone will be able to ID him/her with this description

Thank you

Louise

Comments (11)