SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novice_2009

best way to deal with eggs layed by moths?

novice_2009
13 years ago

Okay, maybe this might belong on the pest forum, but I thought I'd give it a shot here.

I have a moth that is laying eggs like there's no tomorrow.

I haven't seen her, but she's a busy one.

The eggs are layed on mostly upper leaves on my small cypress, spicebush, and even bergamot (bee balm).

The eggs clusters are are brownish white, and I haven't gotten to them all in time. No signs of any bugs, so I guess the larvae drop into the soil or feed on leaves- I don't know.

Anyway, my spicebush is special to me, and she seems to prefer it to anything else.

I tried scraping eggs off...only tore the leaf. I've been checking every morning, removing leaves with egg clusters underneath them.

I thought about putting a row cover over my spicebush ( a short, one year old transplant) at night.

Short of getting a bug zapper, what are my other options?

If I keep removing leaves from spice bush, it won't have any.

Here's the ORGANIC question: can I dip a q-tip in something to remove the egg clusters?

How are moths like this one controlled organically (for me that has come to mean IPM, not purist methods).

I started out thinking I could grow things without a single chemical ever touching anything....but this year opened my eyes.

If anyone is interested, please respond. Thanks!

Comments (4)