SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pnbrown

philosophy of gardening

pnbrown
13 years ago

How do, all. Felicitations. Raining like heck here.

We all have a slightly or extremely different way of dealing with the problems of gardening. There have been many threads about how deal with weeds, and pests. Climate, even, although climate doesn't really qualify as a problem.

My philosophy is that I don't get too hung about anything (no, I'm not a pothead).

Regarding weeds: ya gotta control them just enough and at the right time. I don't envy those with heavy soil in that regard, as hand-pulling is much more difficult. Generally speaking, weeds unchecked will eliminate a crop every time. This doesn't mean every weed must be destroyed the minute it appears, just that 'weed pressure' can't be strong at critical times in the crop cycle. At other times weeds can be a useful cover.

Animal pests: a serious problem in many cases, since many gardeners are in suburban settings where eliminating the pest by force is inappropriate, poisoning is dangerous for pets, fencing is expensive and often ineffective. IME, animal pests are more intractable, by far, than insects. In a real food emergency, of course, the guns would be out and the ammo might last just long enough to reduce the pest populations sufficiently.

Insect pests: bugs seem to get the most attention from gardeners, old and new. I am not a grand old man of horticulture, but thirteen years of observation and thought have given me one thing for certain: zero confidence in any scheme to destroy insects directly, whether by poisons, traps, hand-picking, what have you. Supposed correlations are as often cancelled by inexplicable observations. Why do pest populations decline even when nothing pro-active is done by the gardener? Why is the pest present in one field and not another at the same time? For example, I have had one garden wiped out by squash bugs this year but three others have none.

Of the three 'problems' above, insects are the least of the three, and by far the most complex and difficult to understand.

Let us discuss.

Comments (14)