SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tinabanana

what to do after harvest

tinabanana
15 years ago

this is my first garden ever and i started it new this year. i am growing everything organic, and while i got a bit of a slow start this year i want to be prepared for next year. you can see pics below. this is right after we put it in and planted the tomato/pepper we started in the house: http://klearz.com/house.htm

i already have my compost bin going and plan on saving my leaves for next year to mulch with.

what i would like to know is the order of things after harvest. i live in canada, so lots of snow and very cold weather. i have mulched my garden with coco shells this year but will use leaves next year.

so later this summer/fall when i am done harvesting all my veggies (to be honest i dont even know when that will be!! im so new to all this). what is the next step?

step 1: what to do with left over plants? do i pull out everything? or do i just cut everything down to the ground? what do i do with the left over plants, do i leave them in the bed, or do i stick them in my compost bin?

step 2: i want to plant cover crop. how do i go about this? do i have to move all my mulch to sow, i really have no idea how that works.

step 3: killing the cover crop? canada winter should take care of this right? do i need to do anything before snow fall? should i mow down the cover crop before snow?

Step 4: spring time. what do i do then? no-tilling sounds good to me. by spring will the cover crop and last years mulch have decomposed? if not what do i do with it? do i start with a layer of wet news paper, then compost from my bin? i think i might have to buy more compost as i dont think my little bit will cover my small garden. maybe im not getting the whole no tilling thing?

step 5: what is it? what do i do in early spring when its too early to seed but early enough for weeds to start growing? do i put my mulch down first thing?

sooooo many questions, i hope someone can point me in the right direction. i LOVE my new garden, never done something like that in my life and never thought it would bring me such joy.

Comments (3)