SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheepco

Kudos for my new PetSafe Invisible Fence

sheepco
17 years ago

Used to have a "nationally known brand" invisible fence bought through a sportsmen's catalog. I did the installlation myself, and the training. My dogs are only outside when I am home, but not constantly supervised. It worked great for about 6 months, then the dogs figured out they could run over snow banks, etc. and get beyond the fence. The dogs would run through it at top speed this spring at least once a week. The company was wonderful about mechanics (had one transmitter zapped during a storm, they replaced it immediately), but worthless for training support.

Saw a presentation from a PetSafe professional - they GUARANTEE containment. I bit...

I live in the country but on a moderately busy tar road. Had a 4 month old golden retriever killed by a gravel truck 4 years ago...my fault, she shouldn't have been in the road (thank god she wasn't a child)...but I SWEAR it will not happen again!

Anyway (sorry so windy), the guy installed it, (and after DIY the first time you'll never do it again) around ~ 3 acres. He came 3 times over 2 weeks to help me train (included in the price, as is a 5 year warrantee on the fence and 5 years worth of batteries, which last ~ 5-6 months). The fence also has hundreds of settings from barely a tickle to ZAP for a top speed 'run-through'.

The part that impressed me the most was their training method...totally positive reinforcement. No BAD FLAG!, No dragging the dog by the collar into the fence so they feel it. Just constant treats and praise for backing off from the SOUND of it! They do feel it once or twice, but only if the DOG goes too close. DUH!

My 4 dogs, including the 4 month old puppy, were trained within a week. And my big success was yesterday when at 7am my neighbor jogged by with her dog and mine barked but STAYED in the yard! Then in the afternoon a guy went by slow on a motorcycle, and 2X's a girl rode by on her bike...same thing, they barked, they ran up to the boundry and DIDN'T cross it.

5 stars! Sarah

Comments (5)