SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcaren_gw

Slightly different questions about squash vine borers...

mcaren
16 years ago

I've read some interesting methods for battling squash vine borers and wondered if some of you experienced organic gardeners could comment on them (and my questions):

1. Regarding using covers to prevent the moths from laying eggs on the stems -- I'm not sure I get the logic behind this. As I've been slicing to remove the worms I'm noticing that some are about an inch long, but others are almost impossible to see because they're hardly developed yet -- very tiny. I'm guessing the eggs were laid at different times by different moths... But if that's the case, I would think that since the larvae are developing at different times there might be some that have already made it to the cocoon stage -- and might be in the ground. If you use covers would you not risk trapping the moths that were hatching from their cocoons inside the covers?

2. Has anyone tried wrapping the stems in pantyhose? I read this somewhere and it sounded like it might work -- if the larvae weren't opposed to traveling too much up the stems to the leaves. If I get the point at all -- that if a moth laid eggs on the hose the larvae couldn't burrow through the hose? On the other hand, if it did work and they did travel up the hose, at least they'd be entering and damaging the leafier portions that might do less overall damage by the time you caught them... (I believe I read that you were supposed to make sure the pantyhose covered part of the stem that was in the soil as well.) I can see that it might be difficult for large gardens, but it sounds feasible for small ones...

3. I read this paragraph on another garden website: "Or just wipe the stems every five days vigorously with a damp cloth and wipe away the eggs. An Auburn University researcher found this tip in a farming book from the 1890s, when even now-ancient remedies like BT were still half a century in the future! Wiping with BTK or insecticidal soap should be even better." Any thoughts? I still haven't seen any eggs that I know of (and finally found a link with a photo so I'd know what they look like) -- and I'd be afraid that if they didn't adhere to the cloth I used to wipe with that they'd just be knocked into the soil -- and possible just hatch there anyway...

I think this year's few plants are probably toast (I've tried salvaging remnants of three by covering sliced areas with soil) but even that's worrying me -- I discovered that I'd missed a few larvae yesterday because withering blossoms had covered very small holes with frass. Upon slicing them open I found sometimes three larvae within one "joint" area of the main stem meeting a leaf branch -- these were about the length of a hyphen. Pretty easy to miss... I'd hate to think I'd missed some that were close to cocooning...

Which leads me to ask another question (sorry) -- what do the cocoons look like? I read that they are silk-encased, but then read that they are brown "pupae" -- can anyone out there describe one to me or show a photo? Are they brown naturally, or is the silk cocoon just dirty from soil? Are they hard like a beetle pupa?

Thanks again. At least my 7-year-olds are enjoying the bug identification aspect of our garden...

Comments (8)