SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wynswrld98

Kentucky Bluegrass will overtake Tall Fescue eventually??

Wayne Reibold
13 years ago

IÂve been seeding my lawn the past 3 years with Pennington Ultimate Grass Seed. What IÂm noticing is IÂm getting patches that are NOT fescue and to me look like Kentucky Bluegrass (e.g., patches 12-18" square of all Kentucky Bluegrass) which I donÂt like. As you walk around itÂs obvious where there is fescue and where there is Kentucky Blue Grass, textures totally different and colors somewhat different. There's way more Fescue than Kentucky Bluegrass as you walk around but you definitely notice patches where there is only Kentucky Bluegrass.

Upon investigating the label of the grass seed I found it contains some Kentucky Bluegrass in it which I never noticed when I bought it, I thought it was 100% Fescue. IÂve since read on this forum that is pretty common that Kentucky Bluegrass is included with Fescue for structure.

I donÂt know anything about Kentucky Bluegrass. WhatÂs the long term prognosis of both Fescue and Kentucky Bluegrass in a lawn? Is Kentucky Bluegrass more aggressive than Fescue and will it eventually choke the Fescue out over time? That seems to be what IÂm seeing, over time more and more larger patches of Kentucky Bluegrass. I overseed both spring and fall so thereÂs always a supply of this grass seed being introduced in the lawn. The lawn stays very thick by doing this.

So my goal would be to have 100% fescue looks-wise, I donÂt like the look of Kentucky Bluegrass. Do I have a way to get rid of the Bluegrass and have all Fescue? Or should I just continue using what IÂm using and place more grass seed on the areas that are solid Bluegrass in hopes I get some Fescue to come up with them so I donÂt notice the Bluegrass so much?

Pennington Ultimate Grass Seed

39.4% Rebel Exeda Tall Fescue

29.2% Justice Tall Fescue

19.6% Shadow II Chewings Fescue

9.6% Blue Ridge Kentucky Bluegrass

Comments (4)