SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keithw_gw

I'm going to St. Augustine and I need some input

keithw
15 years ago

I am fed up with dumping money into my fescue lawn and I am switching to St. Augustine. I have some good sources for clippings from a few lawns near my work and home. I don't know the breed but they all look good in the yards that I am getting them from so I would be happy with the same results. I have a few questions but first some quick quick info; I am in Va. Beach, yard is currently fescue with some bermuda, I have an inground sprinkler system. I am sprigging unknown strains of Augustine with root tone every few feet slowly but surely! Please feel free to answer any or all that interest you:

A. My backyard doesn't have much of a soil layer. I installed a pool three years ago and distributed a lot of clay around the yard and covered it with about 1.5" of compost/dirt. This is what the grass is growing on. Is there anything that I should do to help break down the clay?. When should I do it?

B. I have a few areas where bermuda has taken over. If I sprig in SA, will it overtake the bermuda? Should I wait till next year in these areas and Ronundup the Bermuda in the interm?

C. I have a quite a few trees. That is why I have leaned to SA over bermuda. Will it do OK under tree coverage that is about 16ft up?

D. How far apart should I be sprigging? I am doing about a ft now and the going is slow. Can I spread it out. How fast will it grow?

E. Am I doing it at the wrong time of the year?

F. Should I soak the sprigs in anything overnight before planting. Like a secret bath of Miracle Grow or corn meal or something to increase the growth / success rate?

G. Am I missing any questions that I should be asking?

Thanks!

Comments (18)