SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
youreit

FalconCam

youreit
15 years ago

New Egg Livens Up San Jose's FalconCam

SAN JOSE, CA - "The stars of San Jose's FalconCam are back -- and this time, they've got another little surprise for their engrossed viewers.

"San Jose City Hall's resident peregine falcon Clara laid her first egg of the season Thursday. Regular visitors to the bird's webcam on the San Jose city Web site first spotted the new arrival in Clara's nest box atop the building's utility shaft Thursday evening.

"Since then, parents Clara and Carlos have split time watching the egg and keeping it warm. Experts from the Santa Cruz Predatory Bird Research Group said it's possible that Clara may lay more eggs over the next several days.

"Last year, FalconCam viewers watched the hatching, upbringing, and first flight of Clara's three baby falcons Esperanza, Hiko, and Spirit.

"The youngsters first took flight in mid-June then left the area for good in early September. The baby's father Jose also left the area around the same time, clearing the way for new suitor Carlos to sire Clara's latest hatchlings.

"Viewers can watch the activity on the FalconCam by going to the city of San Jose's web site."

Brenda

Comments (60)

• comettose
    15 years ago

I just looked in and they moved the camera back quite a bit and off to the left so now you can only see half of the nest box and lots of the building. No close up looks. I wonder if the camera was bothering the birds too much?

• sheepco
    15 years ago

Oh yeah, it's been moved. Dark right now, but a nice view of the city lights. Hope they move it back! Unless as CT pointed out it was bothering the nesting parents...

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The first time I viewed the cam, it was angled like you're all describing it. The next time, it was moved. Hmmmm...

Mary, I'd love to see those pics!

Brenda

• hnladue
    15 years ago

Here's the Falcon Cam for my area. Rochester NY. We currently have 1 egg!!

http://rfalconcam.com/rfc-main/mainView.php

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Very cool FalconCam! I saw one perched over to the right with no one laying on the egg, though. Actually, after refreshing the page several times, I keep getting the same pic, so maybe that's not in real time. LOL

Go, Mariah!

Brenda

• comettose
    15 years ago

I just looked in and was wondering about eggs. I didn't read the post we have one egg. I was thinking how long of an incubation period they have Mom was sitting on it a little while ago, but she didn't get up. I don't know why but when I close the site it always kicks me out of Internet Explorer, but not a big deal. She better have another egg soon. It's not good when eggs hatch far apart as the size difference in the bigger baby lets it fight better for the lion's share of the food and the little ones just get weaker. Does anyone know off hand the incubation period? Once the egg (or eggs hatch) we will probably get lots of viewing time while Mom and Dad go off to hunt. I wonder what they will catch?

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The incubation period is approx. 33 days, give or take, CT. The other day, I saw one of the parents leave the nest, and either return after about a minute, or the other parent came in (can't tell those darlings apart! LOL). The camera was angled back at that point, and I couldn't see anything in the nest in the interim.

I've read that urban Peregrines enjoy fine meals made up of mostly pigeon. :)

Brenda

• maryo_nh
    15 years ago

Brenda, I didn't mean to ignore you. I was in LA to help DD and her family move from the rental to their very own home, and naturally the computers were disconnected. DH is still on his current business trip and he'll be home Thursday - I can't find the pictures, they may be on his laptop only.

Now, back to catching up on all the gossip... sugar gliders, new puppy (sooo cute!), ...

:) Mary

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I figured you were off on some adventure, Mary, and you were! I sure hope your DD and family enjoy their new digs for a LONG time. :)

Brenda

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This morning at 6:20 a.m. PDT, I saw at least one little fluff ball in the nest as one parent left and one returned!!! It appeared there was another egg still there, but it's not light enough yet to see details.

Congrats, Carlos & Clara!!!

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    15 years ago

Oooooooo! Time for Carlos and Clara to break out the Pigeon Noir in celebration. :-)

Abnormally yours,

Me

• sheepco
    15 years ago

Oh bummer, pretty dark when I just checked now, but it appears the camera has been jostled again, nice view of the city lights again tho. Hope they fix it tomorrow, I'll check back.S

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The last time I looked (yesterday morning), the camera was zoomed way out, so I could see the sky line. Not sure who's running the thing, but maybe they should work on that.

Brenda

LOL!!! @ Pigeon Noir!

• sheepco
    15 years ago

WoooHooo!!!! Just checked in for about 5 minutes - looked like two fuzzy chickies!!! Soooooooo Cute! No parents came in, but both were moving their heads! The camera is back to the nest close up.
    Sooooo Cool! S

• comettose
    15 years ago

I looked in and the camera was practically in the bird's face! She or he was sitting on the chick but I could see a bit of whitish fuzz. The other egg was out in front so I don't think is is going to hatch since she wasn't even sitting on it.

• sheepco
    15 years ago

I just looked and mom was standing to one side and both chicks were active, trying to stand up! Didn't see another egg, might have been behind her. Someone/thing was zooming in and out and adjusting the camera.

• sheepco
    15 years ago

There ARE 3 sweet chicks! One the parents was feeding them just now!

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've been checking in when I remember right after I log off-line, which seems to help with the issues that site causes on my computer. The last time I checked, the camera was zoomed out further than I'd ever seen it, so I had no clue what was going on.

I'm SO glad you saw THREE chicks, Sarah!!! I'll have to check it again tonight when I log off again.

Brenda

• sheepco
    15 years ago

Just checked on 'em now. 1 parent is tearing at 'the catch' and feeding it to the 3 wee chicks. Fascinating. Camera is up close. Don't know why it ocassionally wanders off to the sky line!

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've been trying to check in on them once a day. I can't believe the size of those fat, juicy little babies!! LOL The camera was zoomed out again the other day, but I got to see both parents on the building ledge. One of the 3 fuzzy tykes was flapping his wings in the nest, too! Awww, tho pwethuth!

They've set the limit to 5 minutes now, with faster refresh rates.

Brenda

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Happy Mother's Day, Carla!!!! :)

Brenda

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oops, I meant Clara. LOL

The 3 Stooges were being fed yesterday when I looked! It appears that one of them isn't being fed as much, but I only refreshed the page for about 15 minutes.

Brenda

• sheepco
    15 years ago

Just now 2 of the Falconettes were doing aerobics while mama looked on from the roof drain. 1 chicklet appears to be barely moving - off in the righthand corner - maybe not such a good sign. Hope I'm wrong....

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When I viewed it yesterday, Sarah, 2 of them were doing the aerobics thing...one even got out of the box and was down on the left stumbling around. The 3rd one was off in the righthand corner, just as you mentioned. Demmit. :(

When I saw the parent feeding them the other day, they were all lined up. It wasn't like the runt was sitting off to the side...but the parent seemed to hardly feed it. Then, the parent took off, the other 2 laid down, satiated, while the 3rd kept calling out. Makes me kind of sick to my stomach...

Brenda

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, ok, I just looked, and they're all sassy!! LOL Two of them were rough housing, while the 3rd one stood off to the side, flapping his wings and muttering, "Idiots..." :D

They all look about the same size, too, so I panicked for no reason. Whew!! Sorry about that.

Brenda

• sheepco
    15 years ago

I just looked in again. 2 are obviously more vigorous - both were outside the box. But while the 3rd was still inside - toward the back right hand side, it's still upright and moving it's head around. 1 parent was up on the ledge keeping watch. Keep your fingers crossed.

Any idea what time of the day the parents bring in take out? I'd like to see that again. S

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't recall the time I saw them feeding, Sarah, but I'll start keeping track from now on. They're growing so fast, I check the site 2 times a day now. :)

Brenda

• sheepco
    15 years ago

Just popped in for a look again, all 3 little peeps were out of their box stretching their wings (trying to look scary!). Glad to see all 3 are active. It's amazing how their wing feathers have grown!

What a great nesting place, the peeps can get exercise and be enclosed by the walls - chick playpen!

No Clara or Carlos in sight.

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yesterday morning, I only saw one of them, and about had a heart attack! It was out of the box, over to the left side, hunkered down. The camera was panning all of the over place, obviously in a panic over where the other 2 were. Never did see them then.

Yesterday, just before 4pm PDT, I saw one parent down there (off the ledge, but not feeding them), one baby strutting around trying to look scary...LOL!...and one over to the right of the box. The other one could have been back there, too, but I couldn't tell.

Ahhh, the drama continues! And there's plenty of poopies going on....wonder how that would work in my garden. Hmmmm...LOL

Brenda

• jeanner
    15 years ago

I finally got to see the falcons! They blocked us at work from any streaming videos (how rude!) and it seemed I always forgot until midnight when I got home.

I saw all three yesterday and Mom (or Dad) was perched on the ledge.

Can you imagine taking your first flight from a high rise????

• chickadeedeedee
    15 years ago

They grew so fast! Guess they are not allowed to be afraid of heights. It's been great watching them. Thanks Brenda!

C3D

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I sure hope I get a chance to see the first flight of at least one! What an incredible sight that would be! Too bad they couldn't strap a camera to its head....

Been hanging around DH too much lately, I think.

Brenda

• bonnieblueyes
    15 years ago

Hey everyone. I just checked on the chickies and all three were on the floor running (waddling) around. Then one left to go back and hide behind the white square box thing and left the other two there. Then on of the others decided to join the run away one and the last one just kinda hung out by itself. Im going back to see what else is going on. Thanks Brenda for this site! Fuzzy babies :-)
    Bonnie

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, yesterday at about 6:40am PDT, one of the parents showed up, dropped some kibbles and bits, and took off, leaving the babies to fend for themselves! And they do so very well, thank you. LOL They all shared whatever critter Mom or Dad brought. :)

I was reading about 2 unlucky babies being followed by the same group (Santa Cruz Predatory Bird Research Group) which were under the Oakland-Bay bridge. One of the researchers finally went down to check on them and found they'd both died a few days after birth. They have rescued babies from there before, because they're unable to make their first flights all the way across the water to shore.

Hope "our" falcons have an easier time from above San Jose. :)

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    15 years ago

Awwww. How sad to have your babies drown. :*(

Maybe the chicks who died soon after birth were chilled by the wind / mist from the water? Hope *our* chicks thrive and make future chickies for us to watch! :-)

3DChick

• sheepco
    15 years ago

They're getting so big! Anyone know how old they are when they 1st fly?

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sarah, I found a great site, linked below, about when the birds fledge...and anything else you wanted to know about peregrines! :) It looks like they take their first flight anywhere between 38 and 45 days, with some waiting until after 50 days, and some as early as 33 days.

I'm not sure about those Bay bridge babies, Chicka. I know that the parents have nested there for at least a couple years now, if not more. You'd think they'd get the hint. :D

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Peregrine biology

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I cannot believe how quickly they're dropping the white baby feathers for the dark ones! Within 24 hrs., they must have lost 90% of the ones from the previous day! I sure hope one of us can see them take a first flight!!! Not sure when that is...I lose track of time so easily. LOL

Brenda

• sheepco
    15 years ago

Excellent site, thanks.
    OK so we're on Day 31 from the 1st chick sighting 4/24!
    They're pretty quiet tonight, but I'm going to have to start checking in more often. Could be in the next week or 2. Has anyone seen them up on the ledge yet?

Thanks again Brenda, this is soooo interesting!

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sarah, thank YOU for keeping track of chick sightings and dates!! Whew, I had NO idea whatsoever of the time line.

I haven't seen them up there, no. I've seen them on that slightly elevated grate thing in the center, and I saw one run, flap his wings, and catch a little air. LOL Oh, I just can't wait to see them fly!!!

Brenda

• bonnieblueyes
    15 years ago

Well i just checked in for a peek and all i saw was a metal grate in the middle with lots of poopies around and no babies anywhere. Did they fly the coop already? :-(
    Bonnie

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They haven't flown yet, Bonnie, but whomever was at the controls of the camera yesterday had it stuck on that grate, for some reason. When I checked it later, I could see bits of the 3 wise guys coming in and out of view. :D

Brenda

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG!!!! 7:15am PDT, the camera was turned all the way to the left, showing the ledge and TWO babies up there!! They were first facing outward (could see vehicles driving by and people walking WAY down below), then they gingerly turned around toward the inside. One was just preening. It's so close!!

WOOHOO!!!

Brenda

• sheepco
    15 years ago

Just checked in at 9:30 pm CST and they were all snoozing in the nest box. Must have been an exciting day!

• jeanner
    15 years ago

I'm wondering who gets the job of cleaning off the poopy stuff after they fledge !

• jeanner
    15 years ago

Did they fledge???? They changed the camera again and I didn't see any activity at all ....

Come back, come back!!!

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I haven't SEEN them fly yet, Jean, but they hang out a LOT on the opposite end of the roof from the nest area. There is a shorter ledge there, like the one behind the nest area, and the camera sometimes focuses on them there (it basically turns around 180 degrees from the nest area, not 90 degrees, as I initially thought).

Yesterday morning, I saw one of the young'uns up on the BIG ledge with a parent, and he was eating something meaty. One of his siblings was trying like crazy to get up there with him, but he ate it all himself! LOL

Brenda

• chickadeedeedee
    15 years ago

Did they leave? Did I miss it?

Will they nest again this year?

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chicka, I don't know if they've flown yet, because each time I've checked lately, the camera is pointed at some blank place on the roof. The last few times I've seen the chicks, they were up on the tall ledge, though, so maybe the camera pointed at that blank area means they've taken off from that place!

According to the link I posted above, they usually don't hunt on their own until about a month after their first flight. I thought I read somewhere that they stay at the nest sight (or with the parents) for up to a year after they hatch...but I'm not sure now.

It's said that "the only time that a female would lay more than one clutch of eggs in a year is if the first eggs are lost or damaged before hatching or the chicks die in their first few days."

Hope I get to see one of them fly SOME day!

Brenda

• youreit
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I saw 2 of them fly yesterday!!! Woohoo!! I'm sure they've been flying for a bit, but I wanted to see it for myself. :D

One was sitting on the ledge, enjoying quiet time. The camera was showing a long shot of the nest box. In the background, I saw a plane fly by (first time I've seen that), then right after, I saw one of the young'uns go careening past before finally getting control and landing on the ledge. As "he" landed, he hopped/skidded right at the resting one, who became frightened by the in-your-face attitude and flew off. He returned after a few seconds, a little ruffled, but ok. LOL

Life is SOOOO good!

Brenda