SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

Is this a good plan to create a BIG no-till plot by next spring?

tetrazzini
15 years ago

A friend of mine wants to create an organic vegetable garden, about 1000 or more square feet. She'd like to be able to use it next spring. I've told her it will be a lot easier to avoid digging up the lawn and instead cover the area with cardboard, and then straw to hold it down and look nicer while waiting for the grass to die.

1) But then what? I've read about lasagna gardening, but I'm still confused. Wouldn't it be hard to fill that large an area with layers of stuff? She can get leaves and straw, but I'm not sure she'd be able to find enough nitrogenous material for 1000 SF. That means a LOT of grass clippings, coffee grounds, weeds, etc. My compost bin (4x4x4) holds about 60 SF of material. That's about all I can come up with over the course of a week, but 1000 SF?!

2) Would it work simply to use straw and leaves over the cardboard? I'm thinking the cardboard would kill the grass, and the straw and leaves would encourage worms to blend the soil and the decomposed sod, is this right?

3) I imagine planting a green manure would help a lot. If she started with cardboard now, when could a green manure crop be planted? Can the seed be sown on top of the straw or shredded leaves? Or would it need soil on top? I'm thinking a combination of legume and a grain would be best. Is it likely the soil will be light enough and have enough nutrients by spring?

This no-till idea seems great, but for some reason I don't quite understand how to pull it off. Thanks for your help.

Comments (16)