SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dragon_kite

nyios 2011

dragon_kite
14 years ago

It has not been posted on the GNYOS site, but members of other orchid societies (including the one that hosted SEPOS) are saying that the NYIOS will be returning in Spring (Easter weekend) 2011, AND it will be returning to the Winter Garden.

For the members here who attended the Winter Garden shows, I think most will agree that Rockefeller paled in comparison. Also, I don't care how "special" the show at the NY botanical is, if I can't buy from vendors, I'm not happy.

I originally heard the news off a Flickr photo group dedicated to the NYIOS. I hope fellow members at Gardenweb can snoop around and see if this indeed true.

Comments (10)

• orchidsnyc
    14 years ago

I also saw a more definite statement elsewhere on the Web, but I just checked March GNYOS newsletter (I haven't been to a meeting in quite a while) and what it says is: "Hopefully, next April will see the return of the New York International Orchid Show. We are still in the early planning phase and I will keep you informed as to the latest updates."

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

according to my AOS source at Longwood, the NY show is a definite in 2011.

--Stitz--

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

That's awesome - I hope it happens cause I'll definitely plan a trip down to NYC for it!

• dragon_kite
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Be still my beating heart! Thanks for the added info orchidsNYC and Stitz. This really makes my week.

Calvin, bring plenty of cash, we are going SHOPPING!

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

I hope that this event in NYC doesn't adversely affect SEPOS vendors at Longwood Gardens. That's the primary reason that I make the two hr drive!

--Stitz--

• dragon_kite
    Original Author
    14 years ago

As long as the SEPOS and the NYIOS are not the same weekend, there shouldn't be an issue. If anything, this will give vendors a chance to sell at 2 shows, not one.

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

true, however.....

you know as well as I that a significant number of people south of NYC were going to Longwood.... out of frustration that the Show in NYC wasn't available. There are only so many orchid buck$ and people like Norman Fang are expert$ at mea$uring the$e matter$!

--Stitz--
    no $ in Stitz!

• dragon_kite
    Original Author
    14 years ago

can't argue with that!

Maybe, we'll see more vendors? I'm guessing since both shows have been so popular, major vendors will book for both NYC and Longwood. Smaller vendors will book either NYC or Longwood...which means there'll probably be a lot of small vendors we haven't seen before...or a lot of empty tables.

Usually on the last day of the show, orchids can be bought pretty darn cheap. Don't know if that will still be the case if there are 2 shows, since whatever they don't sell at one show can be sold at the next show.
    I think the NYorkers who make it out there to Longwood, would still go. I think they'll be thrilled because there'll be 2 great shows to go to (I know I am!).

What I would love is if one was a spring show and the other was a fall or winter show, this way we could see some fall/winter bloomers too.

• bidding4orchids
    14 years ago

SEPOS at Longwood gardens is a beautiful show , but I'm not that impressed with the amount of vendors they have. They don't nearly have as many as the New York Show. I've only seen one Hawaii Nursery there and its H&R Nurseries- granted they have a lot of species and unusual types but they are on the pricey side. They usually only bring 2"-4" pots- little seedlings that take up to 2-5 years to bloom. I'm not that much of an expert at growing them from small.
    At the Greater New York Show they usually Have the 2 best Hawaii Nurseries- Kawamoto Orchid Nursery & Carmela Orchids. (What I mean is they are the 'best' at doing Orchid shows from Hawaii) They bring tons of plants (what I hear is 7-8 thousand orchids to sell and display) at very reasonable prices. If you are looking for deals I would go check them out on Sunday afternoon at the end of the show. I was there 3 years ago for the weekend and I had a chance to witness the crowd in front of there booth. Must Have been at least 5-7 people deep trying to see whats in front for sale- 'So Crazy!!!'. I Had to argue with people to make sure they wouldn't take my plants. It was pretty intense! But it was a whole lot of Fun! Glad to hear it coming Back...

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

" Must Have been at least 5-7 people deep trying to see whats in front for sale- 'So Crazy!!!'. I Had to argue with people to make sure they wouldn't take my plants. It was pretty intense!

only in new york....

--Stitz--