SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

to s/h or not to s/h? A plea for advice!

caliloo
16 years ago

That is the burning question.

So here's my situation. I mentioned in another post that I could get a great deal on some orchids from a lady on Craigs list. So I went to get them today (list at the end of the post) and she grows all her orchids in s/h. They all seem very healthy and happy, but my growing conditions will be a little different - and from what I have read here on the OF and googling, my conditions might make them all susceptable to rot. My main concern is temperatures over night. She had them on shelves in fron of sliding glass doors in her house (supplemented with some sort of lighting). Her house is normal human temps - probably around 70-ish.

She came over to see where I was going to be growing them (I was giving her some perennials, she isn't hovering over the plants LOL) she mentioned that they should be VERY happy in my south facing Florida room since in it bright and has higher humidity than "inside" with the heat running. Daytime temps are in the upper 60's to low 70's which should be fine. Night time temps can drop into the 50's which she also said would be great for the types of orchids I got from her.

Here is my concern.... I've read several threads that say that s/h is NOT suitable for lower light (NOT MY SITUATION) or lower temps (MY SITUATION) because the plant doesn;t use the moisture as quickly an can result in rotted roots.

So even though they have been doing well s/h, is it okay for me to continue even though the growing conditions are very different? Should I switch them to regular bark mix like all my phals and dends? Am I overthinking this completely?

PLease offer advice!

Thanks

Alexa

here is what I got:

cochleatum 'John'

alata

Prosthechea ionophlebi

Prosthechea garciana 'pink zebra'

green hornet

Encyclia "Hereford Jewel"

Encyclia NOID (she lost the tag, it is setting buds so I will be posting photos and begging for an id soon)

Cattelya - "very large white"

Thanks again for any help

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH