SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richtgirl

Bud blast, root rot and ???

richtgirl
16 years ago

Richtboy here.

I bought Richtgirl a Phal. two weeks ago. Some of its buds began to wither the first week but the medium was still damp. I thought it might have been the change of environment. After its first weekly watering, bud problems reduced and a new bud opened 2 days ago.

Its medium was still soaked yesterday when I had planned to re-water. So, I did not, but knew we would need to re-pot to prevent root rot. By evening one of the spikes seemed to be drooping. I didn't have any fresh pots or stuff to do a re-pot so I waited and was going to do it today.

This morning the spike was definitely drooping. I decided to do an "emergency" re-pot into the same pot. Boy was I in for a shock.

They sphagnum was packed around the roots. Many roots were rotting. Some roots appeared to be hanging from a string. There are very few white or green roots. Some of the roots have black tips, or black stuff on them.

Currently it is on the operating table with a damp cloth covering the roots. I am about to go out and get some pots and fresh medium to plant it in. Then I will be back.

Here is the flower that is on the surgery table:

{{gwi:157047}}

and a picture of the roots:

{{gwi:157048}}

There are more (and larger) pictures of the roots at the link below. If anyone has some suggestions for this neophyte orchid lover, they could really be used.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery of problematic orchid

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations