SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_grow_gw

Help me control the weeds organically

jessica_grow
16 years ago

Newbie here (at gardening and the forums)- Hubby and I joined a community garden for the first time this year and are really having a great time but are completely over run with weeds. Our plot is 100 x 25 feet and we've planted tons of tomatoes, peppers, several types of beans and peas, squash, zucchini. We have two long rows with our tomatoes and peppers and then the rest is set up perpendicular to those in shorter rows. We've tilled and put down tons of straw between the rows to try to mulch and keep the weeds down but it doesn't seem to be doing to much. One problem is that we can't attend to weeds by hand daily since the plot is about a half hour drive from the house . We manage about two weeding sessions each weekend and usually go out another time to water during the week to water. Our plants are all grwoing well but so are the weeds. The other gardeners are mostly old timers who use chemicals very heavily and theirs are all weed free and lovely (I know some can spend more time than we do and this is a factor as well). I hate having the ugliest garden around even if it is producing well. Any advice from the more experienced would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting