SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleeplessinftwayne

Is a small lawn tractor worthwhile?

sleeplessinftwayne
12 years ago

I am in my sixties and I have a broken back, nerve damage and fibromyalgia which means that I am in pain most of the time but I need to keep moving. I am five feet tall. The yard is not huge but is more than I can handle with a mower, even if I could start one by pulling a starter cord. The distance is too much for what endurance I have left. We have lots of trees and I would like to use the leaves as mulch on my gardens even if I have to go over them twice. I also need some way to get materials from the front yard to the back and trash and debris from the back to the front. A cane doesn't allow you to handle bulky or heavy objects. Even a bag of dry potting soil is too much to get from here to there without painful effort.

I checked out the Best Buy rated Sears Craftsman LT2000 model 28885 since all of their tractors are on sale, 20% off through 11/26. Much as I like it, the deck is simply too large. Their catalog shows two much smaller ones, the Smart Rider 28001 and the Rear Engine Rider 28034. Ratings say the Smart Rider transmission is a flop but the Rear Engine Rider seems to be OK especially for my flat yard.

Can anyone give me any advice?

Comments (11)