SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

fixing mold on rescue phal roots?

quinnfyre
16 years ago

My rescue Phal is kind of annoying me. However, it's not getting Kev'd, because it's been quite a trooper, and it is also for my own education on how to save an orchid should I need to save a favorite somewhere down the line. And in fact, it is why I bought the thing even tho I knew it looked iffy (well, that and the nice yellow flowers...) Sooo, it had been hanging around since December or so, unpotted, very occasionally watered, sort of unofficially on its way to being Kev'd (due to those pesky molding roots and lack of time... bad me!) when I noticed it was actually growing a new leaf! Figured if it was going to do that, I might as well give it a real chance, and so I sphag and bagged it. The whole root molding thing, though, hasn't magically gone away, of course.

What's the best way to fix this problem? It's in the bag because it really doesn't have much in the way of roots, and the leaves are limp, but still green, and not very wrinkled. Cinnamon didn't do much to prevent anything, as the roots began molding in fir bark, after which I unpotted it, for um, months... whoops. I have Physan 20... will this do the trick? Is it scary to use? I'm a little wary of chemicals... I also have Neem oil, but I don't know if that would do anything. Just mentioning it in case it has some more magic qualities besides the ones I already know about.

Oh, just for reference, I do have a bunch of orchids that are doing quite nicely (including phals!) so this is my only sad sad case... which is still proving to be good for education's sake. I'd be happier if the lesson were successfully over, though : )

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!