SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mississippian1

Speed Control in small engines

mississippian1
16 years ago

I have noticed two kinds of governors Air vane and centrifugal weights. I've heard that there is an oil sling type (like the air vane but in the crankcase) but I've never seen one. Also, as far as linkages, I've seen springs and also wire "bars" with springs just to take out the slack apparently. My question is on a "non- adjustable" carb engine, can the speed be controlled by bending or crimping the governor wire to change its effective length? I have a Honda gcv-160 that is running fast for some reason (maybe improper reassembly after carb maintenance in the past). Any observations on this or governors in general will be appreciated (mower parts not politicians). In automobiles, I have run across looped systems that maintain a preset speed no matter what adjustments are made (up to a limit) or other inputs i.e. a/c compressor kicking on and off. On mowers though the governor seemingly must be designed to act between the resistance of the air over the butterfly on one end and the input from the cntrifugal weights on the other or the wind coming off of the flywheel fins. The mower doesn't feed back - it doesn't know what RPM the engine is doing - it just has to balance forces that are anticipated in the design (i.e. "at ~3,000 rpm, this or that force should be x") As I have written this down, I guess those forces can be pretty accurately accounted for and stay fairly constant.Works pretty well I guess until dirt, wear or ham-fisted mechanics take their toll.

Comment (1)