SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevin2e

New Mulching Kit Throws Leaves out in Front/Right side of Mower

kevin2e
14 years ago

I have a 32" Encore Premier walk-behind mower for 10 years now that I use for personal use and decided to get a mulching kit for the leaves this year. It came with a center divider, cover plate for the discharge chute and new blades.

When mowing there is a constant gust of wind coming out the front towards the right wheel which pushes leaves in a line off to the right and it leaves rows of uncut leaves or semi cut leaves. The mulching worked great where the leave were thick (3" to 6" deep) because that wind was blocked I would guess.

I called Encore Equipment today and they were not really sure what to do but suggested I try taking out the center divider to see if that helped. They also said I might try on some gator blades which work good on leaves. He also said to raise the blade up all the way. The blades are on the third "ring" out of five now, and the front wheels are all the way up for clearance. I'll raise the blades all the way next weekend but it's only about 1/2" more.

Is this a common problem with all mowers or all commercial type walk behind mowers or maybe just the design of this Encore Premier? I did have to go over the leaves a couple/few times and it worked great except for the strips of leaves left behind.

When I used to bag with this mower it sucked up everything in it's path like a vacuum cleaner. I assume because all of the air was going out the discharge chute to the bag.

BTW, I did check and the blades are installed correctly.

Comments (4)