SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agardenstateof_mind

Poison Hemlock near vegetable garden

I'm new to this forum, posting my question here because I think this group might be most likely to have the perspective, and possibly information, to help.

I finally got an ID on a plant that's been growing about two feet away from my vegetable garden ... it's a poison hemlock. Amazing thing ... it grew from a rosette only inches in height in February or March to a stalk over 9 feet tall as of today.

Per advice of the County Extension Agent, I've cut it down and bagged it for disposal. Understanding my reluctance to use a product like Roundup, he said I could just cut the shoots it keeps sending up and the roots will eventually die. But I still have a lingering concern: Will my vegetable plants uptake any of those toxins and will they find their way to the fruit?

Per Montana State U., the highest concentration of toxins is in the base of the stalk and the roots ... which are only two feet away from my tomatoes, which are now 16" high in a raised bed 8" high. (The p.h. is not in the raised bed, but growing at ground level between the bed retaining wall and neighbor's fence.)

Maybe it seems a little far fetched, but considering the effectiveness of companion planting, I just have to ask ... I do want to feel comfortable serving and eating my 'maters this summer!

Thanks in advance for any advice or direction you can provide.

Diane

Comment (1)