SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
just_t

Idyll 261: Pieces of April continuing......

just_t
17 years ago

I liked Eden's Idyll Tydll....and it is much too early to be creative on my own. ;o)

It is Monday....and I've just put in a request for a glorious and gorgeous day for all the Idylls.....sure hope it happens for you!

;oD

T.

Comments (103)

• chloehoover
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Eeek, 70 kids running around the yard - now that's a scary thought - probably worse than that tree crew of Babs!!!

It's supposed to get to 80 here today -- in between t-storms -- that should blow all the tulips & bulbs out for sure.... I am so jealous of you guys who even get to work in the yard 1 hour in the evening after work! I'm thinking I should ask to change my hours for a couple months so I could get that one hour....

I agree with you, Sue - I really love the look of Bergenia foliage -- I'd eyed that variegated one but havent purchased as I had not had luck w/ it much - but the Apple blossom cultivar seems to have withstood the Virginia climate pretty well and is blooming now - so I may attempt to locate the variegated one now. Norma, I do love the color of your pink one -- very very pretty (even if it took 8 years to bloom) - it's funny how patient we gardeners can be if we want isnt it? Think of tree peonies, wisteria, magnolias, etc., things that we wait for almost decades to get a real "return." Then, other things we just chuck after a couple of seasons!

GB & Deanne, I too have a few recalcitrant red tulips I keep trying to get rid of -- they've been there a long time - I like them but the clash w/ other stuff -- but boy, they're persistant - I do as you do GB & usually pick for inside. Yes, I do see a few (maybe 15 or so) of the color I love - the Mariettes -- not the bang I was expecting & I admit the other white tulips are quietly pretty -- I suspect it was the shock of realizing I had so screwed up the planting that annoyed me so at first....now, Im deciding it's "okay"(at least they're blooming, right?).

Deanne, you make me exhausted just to hear of all the cleaning and energizing you've been doing in the garden -- maybe that has something to do w/ the eating too (plus the family stress - old behaviors and buttons are really hard to change permanently). But Im sure you'll haul it in quickly - you may just need the extra "fuel" to get started on the garden work, right? hehehe...

Taryn, I missed the bit about the spider bite -- boy, I sure hope you're feeling better now. It's amazing the garden hazards we can encounter. Good luck w/ the house again - I know you'll find one in good condition just right for you and your family.

Martie - that's interesting to hear about the Grosso - I love lavs but in my heavy clay it's really difficult - but I hope to try it again this year w/ lots better drainage prep for it-- I may give Grosso a try. I did order some of the stoechas Kew Red & hope to pot it up and try to overwinter indoors, as I know it's less hardy then the other.

Eden -- I just love your containers -- they're such great combos & you put them in just the right settings - it Almost makes me want to give a lot more a try but I have no storage space for overwintering stuff - I think I'll live vicariously watching yours & Deanne's collections multiply. You too should give that Fine Gardening contest a shot.

Okay - I need to pretend to work today - it's like a ghost town except my "big" boss is here (he's a workaholic - he's Always here.... holidays, etc.) - if Im lucky maybe I'll get to leave 30 minutes early tonite - but at least the commute should be pretty easy w/ everyone else already gone.

Happy holiday (of choice, as Martie said) -- hope we all get some sunshine for the weekend.

Cindy

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

It has been a year since our new roof was put on, and Bab's experience with the tree crew makes me glad all over again for the lack of damage to our yard and beds. I had placed large stone jars in front of small front yard trees to protect them from vehicles, and more protection in flowerbeds, and had dug and potted a few plants that I thought might have been endangered.
    Babs, I hope no additional damage was done, and that the ones that were ran over and trodded on will come out okay.

I heard our first Wippoorwill of the season last night. It was very close to the house, and the doors and windows were open. I went into Nolon's bedroom, ( he was in bed), to ask if he heard it. He didn't, even though it was on that side of the house. I am thinking his hearing is much worse than I realize.

Add me to the Bergenia with no blooms. I have had mine for several years, and it has spread, but never bloomed. At least I was blessed with blooms on the Dutchman's Breeches that a cousin gave me a few years ago. It always puts up a leaf or two, then dies down right immediately. There are seeds , so maybe it will reseed and more than one will appear next spring.
    Our dogwoods are coming into full bloom. Now I am afraid the tour will be past the peak...it isn't until next Friday, and we are one of the latest areas to come into bloom because of our altitude. I am rather amazed that although most of the dogwoods should have suffered from the drought, they are still putting on a good show, even in locations where I never watered them.I just walked around and counted....there are 10 in our yard, or on the immediate perimeter and all but one is blooming.
    The Chinese Coral Narcissus that Tim's lady friend gave me last fall are blooming. They are very pretty, and later than my other large flowered narcissus.
    My pink azalea is opening. The Jacob's Ladder is in bloom
    (Ilove it), and the Jonquils and Red Honeysuckle that share it's bed make a patriotic picture. The Lunaria has made a spread of purple in the North corner of the 'island'. Mayapples are putting on buds. Goldenseal is starting to bloom. Lots of Rue Anemones, Spring Beauties, and Wood Sorrel ( Oxalis) are in bloom in and around in our yard.
    I noticed the Jack in a Pulpit are up in the bed by one group of May Apples, under a Dogwood out front.
    Almost more than I can keep up with! and it just keeps coming! Oh yes...the Bladdernut is blooming. Bush Honeyscukle are blooming. Redbuds are fading.
    The pollen count is HIGH, with sugar maples and oaks doing most of the contributing.

Butterflies have been here for about a month. I think that includes the Swallowtail. Becuse of my ailments I haven't been as observing as other springs.

Marian

• Related Discussions

Idyll # 312 - The Plants on Wheels Idyll

Q

Comments (103)
    Good Morning Idylls! Another early one, so I can make a quick post. I hear you V...I *live* for spring...it's my season. Oh well, I guess this year I'll live for June! :-) Now I'm wondering about when Sue's surgery is too Cynthia. I *thought* it was for Monday the 16th. I wrote it down in my calendar awhile back, so I wouldn't miss wishing Sue my best the night before, but from what I'm reading here now, I may have written down the wrong date...it wouldn't surprise me. You & Bug have Clivias?!? Oh I'm green! I am not a houseplant person, houseplants don't like me. But, if there was ever a houseplant I *wished* I could grow, *that* would be the one. Speaking of which...I just drooled over all your beautiful plant choices Bug. Your purple hellebore looks a lot like one I planted last spring. To my relief, it lived through the winter, looks to have maybe one bloom or two, but not open yet. I'm just thrilled that it made it. One of my "no-name" hellebores has made about 20 babies from my last count (that is if they didn't die from yesterday's snow). I'll check on them once the snow melts. I want to pot them up and bring them to the next place. LOL about my posting, Bug. You are probably right, but I have *so* much *fun* making them! :-) Eden - I *love* that bedroom you posted...that is sooo just the kind of style I *love*, the soft hint of colors, the lamps, the little chest (armoire?), the curtains, the vase of fresh flowers, well *everything* and that *headboard*! That is the sweetest thing! Hope you find just the right gate/trellis and will post your creation when it is all completed. I can see that being Cynthia's style too...in fact it reminds me a lot of some of the restful, beautiful home pics Cynthia has posted. BTW Eden...I *love* that pic of your GT and SS together...what a beautiful combo! Chelone So sorry about the headache with Lamee? Did I spell that right?...You know...that *sparkly* cloth! :-) Can't help it but hearing about *sparkly* things gets my blood going. Paul tells me I'm a lot like a crow...attracted to bright, shiny things...LOL! BTW Mary...what is that *gorgeous* flower in your BD pic to Kathy? YumMm! Oh before I forget...I wanted to share this with Deanne & Drema: Up on the top shelf to the left is Deanne's Fuchsia and next to it is a pot of about 6 of Drema's coleus. On the bottom shelf to the right is a glass of Drema's cuttings! :-) I know the pics are poor, but can you tell which Fuchsia this is Deanne? It's been a blooming wonder and a real joy. A close up of some of Drema's coleus cuttings. I don't want anyone to be misled. I'm *not* a houseplant person. The only reason these plants are still alive is because they only have to be in the house for the winter....LOL! Actually the poor begonias are crying to get out of my hands and into a container outside...hope spring comes soon! Okay...gotta run...mom has an appointment at 08:30 and I'm not even dressed yet. Hi to anyone I missed. Hope you all have a great day! Ei
    ...See More

Idyll #266 Here Comes The Sun

Q

Comments (104)
    Woody tells me that she received TWO birthday cakes for the big day's celebration. One was from the longterm care facility where she volunteers in the garden, the other from family. She also received several gardening books and from her DH, a dwarf Japanese Maple that she loves. She managed to see the good wishes from Idylls also and expressed concern for V and her brother. Her oldest dog appears to be declining. The vet has given them a second pain drug to see if that will bring some relief. The dog is 15 now. There may be tough decsions to be made one day soon. It has been a blah morning and a lovely hot afternoon. I managed to plant a few ghetto items and moved the Caryopteris Snow Fairy to a spot where we dug out the Golden Wings Rose. I really loved that rose except it was grafted and constantly had thorny suckers that needed to be removed. I MAY have started an own root cutting last Fall, but it will be a while before I can tell how well it is doing. Planted hosta 'Striptease'(should have put that near Black Lace LOL) more blue woodland phlox, a geum, more tiarella to spread about, etc. Tons more to do but I also need to weed and ammend soil and work on my arbors. I simply don't know where to begin so do bits and pieces as I feel up to it. Right now I ache! DH wrote me from Shanghai that yesterday he visited with a student's family in a Shanghai suburb. The suburb has a population of 10,000,000! Anyway he had an amazing time but I guess I'll have to wait another week to hear details. Tomorrow he visits a university, then Sunday he heads to Beijing for another university inspection. That's all she wrote... 'bug
    ...See More

Idyll #330 Bone dry and tough as nails!

Q

Comments (101)
    We have a very pretty screen door on the front of the house. It has the old-fashioned method of closure, just a little spring loaded doohicky. You just push the door, no knob to turn. Rex mastered it in no time flat. I retired to the security of the bedroom about 8-8:30 last night, helpmeet was watching the Kevin Spacey labor of love, "Beyond the Sea" (it's great) and dozing off on the couch. Evidently, the huge one decided to let himself out (helpmeet having forgotten to close the big door to prevent "AbsentWithOutLeash" activity). He was awakened by frenzied barking and several high-pitched, anguished animal cries. He flew down the stair and called Rex, who returned immediately and obviously stricken. At that point I vaulted out of bed, rolling the sleeping cat (Vera) uncermoniously onto the floor. I raced down the stairs in my night attire, underpants (not lime green ones). I have little fear the imagination of the crew will cue up a nice visual of the dash down the stairs... . The helpmeet was examining Rex, fearfully looking for quills and oblivious to the slowly permeating smell of something akin to burnt rubber... . Yup; SKUNKED. First time in my life I've ever had a pet skunked! Still clad only in underpants, I ordered the boy and his dog OUTDOORS and raced back up the stairs to Google "cleaning a skunked dog". I retireved the dog shampoo, rubber gloves, towels and presented them to the helpmeet. I stumbled to the spigot and hooked the watering wand to the hose and dragged that to the stricken cur (securely tied to the contractor's trailer...) and bolted back upstairs to put on a tee shirt and locate the remaining amount of "Skunk Kleen". And we washed the dog. The helpmeet then located Mr. Skunkie, by the side of the road. To quell the rising smell he decided to put him a plastic bag and bury him in the morning... but Mr. Skunkie was still alive. We decided to call the cops and ask what to do with a wounded skunk in the road... cop arrived, rolled down the window and helpmeet said, "so this is the glamorous side of policework, huh?". The officer cracked up and they went to the site of Mr. Skunkie... no skunkie, but a pool of blood. No blood trail, and a careful search of the area revealed nothing. So we have no idea where he is now, or whether or not he's died somewhere nearby. We do not know if he'd been hit by a car and Rex "discovered him" and was then sprayed or if he was contentedly scrounging around the gaHden and Rex discovered him, attacked him, and then was sprayed. What I do know is that my home still smells of skunk, the dog is going to receive a repeat of the neutralizer, and he is going to smell unpleasant for some time to come. I hate dogs. Eden, beautiful room! Denise... have you seen "Little Miss Sunshine"? LOL, I'll never look at another VW bus the same way again.
    ...See More

#460-Idyll Pet Thread!

Q

Comments (100)
    Today I managed to pot up the wallflowers which have been sitting in water for the past month! I hope I didn't postpone things too long. It is so hard to keep things going all winter long. I haven't brought in the rosemary yet, even though it was 19F last night. (I covered it with towels) Dh has offered to help me out this weekend with the raspberries, rain barrels and hose cleanup. I have some clematis to cage and a few annuals to remove still. Phoebe has less than a week to go before getting her leg checked by her vet. I sure hope we get advice on how to re-introduce her to wild puppy activity without repeating stretching of the ligaments. Tonight I received a sweet phone call from Skyler full of excitement about various items I'd mailed him and also some Halloween jokes that I emailed. He is going out to see a Christmas movie tonight. Sigh....already Christmas stuff. Tonight the farmers are finishing their corn harvesting. I'm always surprised how they work into the night with lights on. One neighbour is allergic to corn and can't go inside his own barn. He's nearly died twice from the dust. Good thing he has three strong sons who help out. I'm having a hard time finding reading and knitting time. There's always something interrupting me, the phone, a visitor, laundry, meals. Seems DD & DSIL hope to put down a new tile floor in their hallway and kitchen this weekend. They did this for his Mom last weekend and it was not very difficult. Today was DSIL's last day of work before starting paternity leave, so he's off with his buddies having a beer (or two?). Off to read a bit. Yes, I too miss Sue. Enjoy your weekend! I hope it is sunny and warm. 'bug
    ...See More
  • michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

The weather here has been unbelievable. Yesterdays high ended up at 87. Last night I sat on the patio around 10:00 and it felt like a summer night. The frogs were singing, the moon was full and the stars were shining bright. 80 is predicted for today. I woke at 6:00 this a.m. and decided to take the dog for a walk as it was 55 degrees already.

Deanne, I got my box in the mail yesterday. It was better than Christmas. What a beautiful bunch of plants. I think we should call you the Cutting Queen. LOL Thanks so much. I will probably mail your box next week. This week has been so crazy and in such an uproar with the water in the basement. Im hoping that things calm down a little.
    I cant believe your family that is so sad.

Marian, spring seems to be going full swing in your neck of the woods.

I also received 2 clematis in the mail also. Arabella and Franzishka Marie. I still dont have the finial on my copper obelisk. I have 2 more clematis on order as well.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

WOW Marian, your description of your woodsy gardens just thrilled me! My favourite kind of plants. A few years ago I spent an obscene amount of money for a Golden Seal plant and last year they were popping up all over. I wonder what this year will bring? I also hope my Japanese Mayapples multiply, but I'll have to be patient for a while longer to find out. The bloodroot is up though, so flowers really soon!

All the shops are closed here today except for Little Katy's, where lottery tickets, milk, cigarettes, soap, Coca Cola and other essentials are sold. I bought DH a candy bar and me a jug of water. Soon a new filter may be installed so that I can drink from our kitchen tap.

Also open, the nurseries 1/2 hour down the road from us! Because DH is studying for his professional engineer's license today, I got the car and escaped to inspect the important things in life! And that is how I got a white lilac to replace a dead one where Clematis Kermesina grows. That should be an interesting task, eliminating the one and planting the other!

Also came home with an interesting willow shrub for along the creek.

In the perennial department, I came home with yet another orange rudbeckia, a Morden's Sunrise rose, an apricot coloured tree peony named Kinkaku, a Ruby Bergenia, Stairway to Heaven Polemonium, and a Peach Flambe Heuchera. All that because I've been housebound for too long. The sun is shining a bit and I feel good after this venture! Pretty heavy on the orange I see now.

Way to go Michelle! You'll LOVE Arabella!

Enjoy your gardens!!!!
    'bug

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Mine is presently about 2" tall!

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

WHOO-HOO!!!

DD got accepted at her first choice college!

V., for Very happy and relieved!

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Congratulations to V.'s daughter!!!!!! :o)

I came home all grumpy because that darn pecker is back and has made some big, deep, awful holes in the house (same corner). I put the ugly CDs back up.....DH is going to be so angry.

Congratulations again to V.'s daughter!!!

Ü

T.

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

YEAH for V's DD - how exciting!!

Boo for T's [wood]pecker!!!

GB - wow, you're definitely in the "apricot" mode -- that tree peony will be a stunner.

Happy weekend - Im counting the minutes til home bound.

--Cindy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Too tired for typing but congrats to V's daughter.

Marie, thanks for the Perl D'azur link. I was thinking of growing it up the garage wall in the patio garden. How would you site 'Mrs. Robert Brydon'? Monique uses it as a ground cover of sorts but I don't have that much room.

Anyhoo, here's some pictures of what's going on around here...

Site of future hot tub. This pic was taken this morning. Tom slaved over it all day so I'll get an update tomorrow.

{{gwi:154018}}

Early tulips are blooming

{{gwi:154019}}

And daffs...shown with the kind of rabbits we don't mind in the garden.

{{gwi:154020}}

Sometimes you just have to let sleeping dogs lie.

{{gwi:154021}}

Sweet dreams to all!

Sue

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Oh those dogs! What a cute scene!

Sue, Mrs Robert Brydon DOES take up space and it really is great as a ground cover. Maybe you should put it in that circle at the end of the street! In three years time you will want the space for many other things. Actually, I throw mine over the fence in mid summer, but it is always a risk with brittle stems to do that.

V, she must be as happy as you are. And now I hope she makes the best of things next year! May I ask which was her first choice? The place of the audition? What a relief to have that process over with!

And now a word from Simon and Garfunkle:

April come she will
    When streams are ripe and swelled with rain;
    May, she will stay,
    Resting in my arms again.
    June, shell change her tune,
    In restless walks shell prowl the night;
    July, she will fly
    And give no warning to her flight.

August, die she must,
    The autumn winds blow chilly and cold;
    September Ill remember
    A love once new has now grown old.

(Perhaps a bit melancholy, but I don't think so now, with all those months ahead of us!)

My bones ache. I need that hot tub NOW!
    gnite all!
    'bug

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Evening everyone!

Three Dog Night, Sue? They look very comfortable and content.

I received a great box of plants from Deanne. She took great care in packing them and I was singing her praises as I unwrapped them. Jim just stood and laughed at me. Thank you Deanne!

It has been raining all day. Gray, dreary & I think the grass has grown 3" during the day. Everything is getting that fresh 'spring' green look. When I was in town, the cherry trees were in blossom. I love driving down streets that have the trees on both sides....of course I didn't have my camera and they'll probably be dropping their blossoms before I get into town again.

Cindy, do you ever take photos of the Capitol Mall when the trees are decked in their blossoms? I bet that is lovely.

Sue's TGIF was in pretty Easter pastels this morning. We're having the kids over for Easter lunch....I'm going to just bake some salmon fillets, make some cheese garlic rolls, will make some cole slaw, wild rice and not sure what I'll do for a dessert. Jamie will do his Easter egg hunt here his momma said. She has some plastic eggs that she's going to tuck a couple of jelly beans in each one and in a few will be some coins (he likes dropping money into his piggy bank). Sounds like it will be fun to watch him figure this 'finding eggs' business.

DD who is pregnant is already having trouble with her legs & feet swelling. She's got a long time yet to go, I hope this doesn't mean she's going to have troubles in the months ahead. Babies aren't due until late July.

The woodpecker was beautiful. He had a bright red head and dark body. He was perched on the siding and didn't leave until I rolled down my window and told him to get off my house. Nasty bird. I don't know what the draw is to that corner of the house, but he's doing a real job of ruining the whole area.

I'll see if I can take another picture of the damage.

Time to go feed Boo & the goats.....

Later.........
    T.

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Isn't this rotten bird causing a lot of damage? You can compare the size of the CD with the holes....he is an ambitious and industrious bird...........

{{gwi:154022}}

He must have a long beak....some of these holes are very deep.

{{gwi:154023}}

He did seem to stop when I put up the CDs, but I took them down a few days ago because I thought they looked awful hanging there........well.........they are back up and I may just add a few more to get in his way. Hope one of them bonks him in the beak a good one!

There are thousands of acres of trees around us......thousands. Why does it want to peck my house to bits instead of the trees? The wood is good there, no rot, no bugs......just must be tasty. Darn bird!

T.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Morning all. After a fabulous weather week, we will have a windy Saturday morning and rain for the afternoon. Figures. So I will be outside soon. Im keeping Sundays dinner very simple so that I dont have to spend so much time preparing. Mom offered to bring dessert.

Sue, the pups make a cute picture. (Three Dog Night) LOL Love those tulips!

T, that pecker damage is awful. He obviously isnt very bright to choose your house over all the trees.

V, great news for your DD.

Those with Arabella, do you let yours sprawl or have it climbing?
    We checked out a few of the popup nurseries last night out of boredom. Not much out yet. We did score a pallet of misc. bags of compost, manure etc. that were somewhat broken open. DH spots these in the back and asks what they want for it. On Tues. I do have to go to a business meeting about an hour away. I will be able to come home through Spirit Lake (the town DD lives in) and theres 3 full time nurseries on the way. So I will be able to stop to see Kenzie and go to nurseries. It almost makes an all day meeting bearable.

Later
    Michelle

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

T, I wonder how woodpecker tastes roasted? Maybe it's payback to Jim for taking down all the dead trees around your house....lol. Your Easter lunch sounds yummy. Tom's family is very traditional so I'm guessing we'll have ham, ham or ham. If I had a choice I'd prefer to stay home and work in the garden.

Marie, unfortunately the soil in the cul de sac circle is crappy and I rarely water out there. You did give me another idea though-the top of my wall at thepart shade end needs plants. Maybe I'll try Mrs. Robt Brydon there.

The other day I had a great idea. I think the idylls should have a container contest-not really a contest but a display of sorts. The only rule is your container has to container all plants you got from Deanne. Wouldn't that be great? Who needs Fine Gardening when we can make our own fun? In our contest everyone is a winner. Start planning your containers. Entries must be submitted before IU3.

Looks like a great day on tap here. I plan to spend the whole day outside. Hopefully I'll be able to get the rest of the woodies from my list moved and the remainder of the Miscanthus cut down. Then I can start moving and dividing perennials. I want to get this done so I can order a truckload of compost to topdress the older beds. The soil in those beds needs help. Then it will be a truckload of mulch for the reclamation area. Then I can start concentrating on tender stuff and container design. Based on what I can get done in the next few weeks I'll decide whether I want to volunteer for the town garden tour that is supposed to take place in June.

Yesterday I spoke to a family in RI about Mackenzie. It sounds like a good fit for her but they can't come and meet her until April 29th so it looks like she'll be here a few more weeks. Now if I can just kid test her-gotta rent some kids somewhere...

Sue

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

It's a beautiful day here too and I too plan to spend it entirely in the garden. We're having Easter at my sister's tomorrow but don't have to be there until 5pm so I'm hoping to spend most of tomorrow gardening too if the weather cooperates. There's still lots to do out there but I keep reminding myself it's still early. Gotta run but wanted to stop in and say "HI".

Eden

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good morning all, it is going to be a primo garden day here again and Im determined to get the rest of these beds cleaned out. Ill worry about mulching things later but Ive got to clean up this mess. The hyacinths are simply lovely right now and Im thinking I need to plant more and not try to deal with tulips anymore. The rodents have taken out half of what I had planted and sometimes it is better to admit defeat. One has to pick the battles and I cant win the rodent war.

On a totally different subject, the Decorative Artists Workbook magazine that Ive had a column in for the last eight years has closed its doors. That is a terrible bummer and a blow for our industry. Business has been very bad for a long while and I guess this was to be expected. On a positive note, I dont know if you guys remember the licensing thing I got into a couple years ago? Well, apparently Sams Club has purchased a set of canisters from a company that is using a knock off from my designs so Ill be getting a royalty check in the fall when they take delivery of the order. Just a small toehold but this is a good thing.

Sue, looks like good progress is being made for the hot tub. When are you supposed to be having that delivered? ~~ ROTFLOL about our Idyll container display. I like it! ~~ RE Idyll containers, the really fantastic news is that T saved the container thread from last year so I have the information, the bad news is that I still havent put it all together in hard copy so I can send it out to people. I am planning on doing that at some point. We really had some fabu containers here last year and Id like to have that available; maybe I can bring them to IU3. Another thing to get ready for. ~~ I surely hope you decide to participate in your local garden tour. Your gardens will be the highlight. ~~ I love the pics of the snoozing dogs. MacKenzie looks like she is fitting in nicely in your household. I hope she isnt too traumatized when she has to move on.

Michelle, I grow Arabella on my arch over my path. I just have to tie it up because it doesnt cling. I love the way it displays the flowers though. You are so going to enjoy that clematis.

T, I cant believe that drasty woodpecker is back. What a horrible nuisance! I wonder what the heck it is looking for. ~~ So glad your plant order arrived in great shape. ~~ That is a worry about your DD with the swelling. I hope it doesnt forecast problems later on.

Bug, We seem to know and admire a lot of the same songs. Ive sung April Come She Will for many years. I love the music and lyrics.

Congratulations to Vs DD!!!!!Woohoo!!!! That is terrific news.

Bug, sounds like you had some fun at the nurseries. Kinkaku is just gorgeous and so orange! LOL

Marian, I cant believe your Bergenia dont bloom either. Intersting! No flowers for me again this year and Im thinking they are going to go. Hoik time. They currently look lousy and have no redeeming qualities so out they go. Ill bet your dogwood are looking lovely.

Cindy, I"ll bet thats it, I need more energy for the intense gardening. LOL

So I went out this AM with my camera in the light overcast and snapped a few pics.

My Beacon Rosa standard is looking great and hasnt had too difficult a time adjusting to life in the great outdoors this year.
    {{gwi:154024}}

Here are a couple of my new Fuchsia Shadow Dancer Peggy. I absolutely love these little jewels. They are covering themselves in buds and flowers and theyve only just begun. There is a whole series of these dwarf Shadow Dancer fuchsias and I might just have to get a couple of the other colors.
    {{gwi:154025}}

How sweet is this??? This little brug cutting came from Sue last fall. If this is a preview of coming attractions this plant will be pretty floriferous.
    {{gwi:154026}}

The rose garden those clumps of hyacinths are absolutely huge this year.
    {{gwi:154027}}

The PJM rhododendrons and weeping cherry just opened in the last day with the warm temps
    {{gwi:154028}}

Look what I found in the top of the Terrace Garden! This is an Ivory Prince Sue! I didnt even know I had it. LOL
    {{gwi:154029}}

Todays project I must get these beds cleaned out before I go to bed tonight
    {{gwi:154030}}

{{gwi:154032}}

So to that end Im outta here and getting my garden gloves and hat on and getting to work. Have a terrific Saturday everyone.

Deanne

• taryn
    17 years ago

Good Morning Idylls,
    Sunny and 65F on forecast for today and tomorrow, and I'm going to spend much of that in the garden. All of my pots of plants I'm taking are back in the greenhouse, but there are pots and flats to tidy and sort. Glenn has just taken 12 brown paper compost bags from my garden clean-up to the city compost pile as my 3 bins are full. Gardens are all cleaned up but the big stalks and stems that wouldn't fit in the bags I'm going to burn in the outdoor woodstove. Might have the neighbors over for a camp fire later.

T I can't believe that silly woodpecker! I'd be fuming at the unnecessary damage. What a dimwit birdbrain, with all those trees around. Cd's look nicer than the holes...

Eden your containers are lovely! I just put some pansies into my large wash-tub container Thursday. Not very creative, but will perk up my walkway a bit. Also treated myself to a lovely lacecap blue hydrangea which I need to find a nice container for, as I'm bringing it with me. I love the soft greens and yellows along with the blue in the petals--very pretty.

Re the container contest, well that will only work for me if Deanne will send me a box of goodies marked "houseplants" for the customs people, lol! Actually fuschias and coleus would fit that bill truthfully, anything you kept alive indoors all winter Deanne could technically be a "houseplant". I was thinking about asking you earlier. I have Purple Shamrocks (Oxalis triangularis) I could send you, also in the houseplant catagory. Do you have it already? Too funny about succumbing to the charms of that H. Ivory Prince before and then forgetting, lol! Great piccies as usual...

Here's a googled pic of the Oxalis:

{{gwi:154033}}

Add me to the no blooms on Bergenia club. Waited them out for 5 seasons, then decided they weren't worth the space in my small garden and passed them on. Norma yours is lovely with the phlox.

Marian I really enjoyed your description of your garden right now as well! It sounds just beautiful, and if you get an opportunity I hope you share some pics. And did I infer that your garden is on a local tour next Friday? How exciting! Do tell us more!

V how exciting for your daughter to be accepted at her first choice of university! I remember those days well, the whole world full of possibilities. It seems both not too long ago and very long ago at the same time. Best of luck to her!

Sue those doggies look so comfy lazing by the fireplace! Too cute. LOL roasted woodpecker.

Cindy hope you had a good commute home and make up for lost gardening time today and tomorrow.

Thanks to all who asked about my spider bite. Looks like the topical anti-biotics and cortisone are doing the trick, as it looks pretty good now, two weeks later. Better than the last one which got so nastily infected, and MUCH better than some of the pics I've seen on Google. Brown recluse spiders can kill a lot of tissue, so I guess I've been lucky. But the first time I didn't get sick, and this time very sick, so I made a point of asking the doctor if I had the bad luck to get bitten again, would I keel over dead or go into anaphalactic shock. He said no, but I would get even more sick if there was a next time. Can't imagine how awful that would be, so I'm wearing body armour out there!

Well I'm trying to organize my life better, now I am waking up feeling human again, so have subscribed to flylady.net. While I already do a lot of what she suggests, and have decluttered a ton of stuff before we went on the market, you can't be too organized, it saves soo much time, and I really would like my house to stay clean and neat between showings which she insists is possible with the right routines. Check it out at link below. The menu planning link (www.savingdinner.com) appeals to me too. I am SO tired of not knowing what to make to keep everyone in this family happy at dinner time. One of the menu options features low carb with carb options for the rest of the gang. Sounds like my kind of menu! On that note, light lunch, weights and greenhouse are next on my agenda...

Happy Easter weekend everyone, and hope you all get some garden time in!

Taryn

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Just a quickie. I am in to take a little break from the wind. The temp is nice but oh so windy. It figures that the beds that are finished are the ones that would be blocked from the wind. I am so happy to see so many things returning that were a little questionable. Especially some of the things that the rabbits chewed to bits. Mostly heucheras and new shrubs planted last fall.

Help, I need to make more light space. Deanne, I actually took some cuttings off the plants you sent. I should get my purple oxalis under lights as it is getting very scraggly. It doesn't look nearly as pretty as the pic that Taryn posted.

Deanne, the pictures are great. The area with the hyacinths is so pretty and the fuchsia standard is so cool. The weeping cherry and PJM look fabulous together.

Taryn, the flylady sounds interesting. I heard someone else mention it recently.

Back to the garden.

Michelle

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Taryn, no, the tour is not of our place. It is the annual Dogwood tour in our county.
    I am so glad that the treatments have squelched the advance of the spider bite. My word...how scary that must be! Do be very very careful...as if you needed told that !

I went out and took some pics, but the light was bad, and they didn't turn out very good, so here are the 3 best:
    Our yard
    {{gwi:154034}}
    Chinese Coral Narcissis from Tim's lady friend:
    {{gwi:154035}}
    "Molly" from Eileen :
    {{gwi:154036}}
    If anyone is interested in the rest of our place and flowers you can see them on my PT albums. Nothing has changed all that much from the past couple of years.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/marianark
    ( The link is also on my member page.)

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you all, that the tests on Nolon all came back 'clean'.Selenium was prescribed for him. The Urologist is still concerned about the high PSA count, and wants Nolon to have another test in September.( There is a free clinic for that at our local Hospital then.) Medicare only covers one such test a year.)

I am still "hanging in there", and having my ups and downs.

Marian

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

It's been a productive day. Brad got 3 yards of woodchips spread on the paths, we put the goldfish out in the pond for their summer vacation, I got the roses all pruned and I sowed about 50 different kinds of annual seeds. We're calling it a day and going out for ice cream.

V, great news on dd getting accepted! A weight off both of you, I'm sure.

Taryn, what a pretty oxalis! I can never keep them alive for long.

Marian, I love those narcissis. I'm putting them on my list for ordering this fall. What a pretty pink they are. My Molly from Ei has one bud and I can't wait to see the flower.

Deanne, that's funny that you had forgotten you had Ivory Prince. I love your bed with the white hyacinths.

Sue, everyone will love seeing your garden. It will be the highlight of the garden tour if you decide to be on it. So are you going to grow alot of tropicals around the new hot tub area?

T, that's one determined pecker! He is really doing some damage there. Unbelievable!

Marie, nice haul from the nursery. I've been good and haven't bought anything in over a week!

I guess I'll go and chip away at a little more garden cleanup while I wait for Brad and David to get back from their bike ride. Then off for a hot fudge sundae. Don't forget tonight's wine night too!!!

Eden

• wendy2
    17 years ago

What a gorgeous day today! It actually got into the mid-70's here this afternoon, just beautiful.

The front areas of my yard are cleaned up, and most of the back. Bloodroot is blooming despite a tree branch stabbing underneath that area in February when the tree fell, and one of my trilliums (I have a whopping two) has made an appearance, with a bud. The Virginia bluebells and epimediums also have buds. I moved Sedum 'Matrona' into a sunnier spot, I just wasn't getting that burgundy coloring and I think more sun will help.

DH and I planted some new foundation shrubs today: Ilex crenata 'Helleri', Pieris 'Brouwer's Beauty', Azalea Delaware Valley white, and Pinus mugo 'Pumila'. I spaced them sensibly (Sue, I used my trusty yardstick) to allow for the maximum spread in years to come, but they look tiny now. There is room for a couple deciduous shrubs too, but I wanted to get the evergreen background in first. I'll have to fill in a little with annuals or easily moved perennials, it just looks too empty.

GB, I like your plant selections, especially the tree peony. I'm starting to like the softer orange shades too. That polemonium 'Stairway to Heaven' was developed by Bill Cullina at Garden in the Woods here in Mass. I posted a link below if you are interested.

Deanne, looking forward to seeing you and Sue at the lecture next week. I would like some of your plants; some coleus would be great (Sedona and Plum Frost come to mind, or anything in the orange, purple or burgundy range), or anything with nice foliage - I'm a foliage nut! Actually if you could spare 2 Sedona, I'm thinking of the matching urns on my front steps. Maybe I'll try an upright fuchsia - I had good luck with one a few years ago. I tried fuchsia 'Autumnale' last year, it didn't do much for me and it never bloomed. Of course, I'm not the Fuchsia Queen that you are! I had it on my mostly shady deck in a pot, maybe it wants more sun. The foliage is great though, very pretty.

V, congrats to your DD! The college application process is very stressful, glad it all worked out well.

Norma, your "country boy" is adorable. That picture does belong in a frame - too cute.

Ei, glad you stopped by - as always sending good thoughts to your sister, glad she is holding up well and that you are able to be there for her.

Taryn, those people had a lot of nerve wanting to deduct from the price of your house for cosmetic stuff. Everyone makes changes when they more in to a new house, it is to be expected. It sounds like they may have been looking above their budget, hoping for a bargain.

Marian, glad that Nolon's tests were negative. I enjoyed your pics, the coral narcissus is pretty. The dogwoods must be spectacular.

T, that woodpecker must be driving you crazy. I don't even like hearing them in the woods, I can't imagine having him pecking on your house! (Yes, I'm sure it is a guy...)

Mary, good to hear that your back/bum is feeling better, but please take it easy! It must be frustrating not to garden now, but you must take care of yourself.

Babs, you have my sympathies re: dealing with the tree guys. You are brave to be home when they are working - I have to leave, I can't watch. The local guy that takes care of us (I hate to say "my tree guy" - I really don't want one of my own...) is pretty hip to the garden thing, he even knew what my cold frame was and offered to move it out of the way himself. Despite that, I still have some ruts from the truck tires, and a few broken flagstones.

Hi to everyone I missed, and have a Happy Easter if you celebrate it, and a wonderful Sunday if you don't!

-Wendy

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Woo hoo, just a perfect gardening day! Sunny and temps in the mid 70s. I spent the whole day outside in the garden except for a half an hour when I ran to the fish market for fresh swordfish for dinner tonight and cocktail shrimp for tomorrow. Got a few things planted, a few things moved and a few more areas cleaned up. Unfortunately the more time I spend poking around the garden, the longer my to-do list gets.

Deanne, Tom plans to order the hot tub next week. Supposedly it takes 3-4 weeks to come in after that. I thought you'd like the container garden idea...lol. For the Canadian idyllers, design your container using plants that Deanne has propogated and overwintered. I'm sure she can provide you with a list. So, Deanne, did you get all your cleanup done? I enjoyed the pictures. Have you really moved some of the tender stuff outside?

Taryn I love that purple Oxalis. Is it hardy? I'm guessing no. Interesting that Flylady is turning up on all my on-line groups-even the dog groups. Getting organized must be at the top of everyone's list. Did I ever tell you the story of the guy Tom used to work with who married a widow whose first husband reportedly died due to a brown recluse spider bite? They used to say things to him like, "They never did find that spider, did they?" lol.

Marian, some great shots from you too. Those pink daffs really are nice-even for non pink person like me. My "Molly" from Ei is shooting some nice stems but is a long way from blooming. Same with the dogwoods. You are way ahead of us here.

Eden, yes I plan to use containers around the hot tub. Any excuse, right? My canna tubers are sprouting out of their bags in the basement so I need to get them potted up soon. Also, even though I have yet to uncover my Musa basjoo, one of the stems made it through the winter and is starting to poke out of the shredded leaves. At first I thought the leaves were just settling but no, the damn stem is alive and growing. That banana will be a monster this year. We still have frost potential here for another month so so I'll have to keep my eye on the forecast. Oddly enough the Leycesteria planted right next to the banana appears to be a goner. Since we had a solid zone 7 winter here this year and that plant is in what is usually a zone 7 microclimate to boot, it must not be zone 7 hardy. I'll have to post on the shrub forum and see what other people have experienced.

Wendy, I'm looking forward to the lecture too. I'm still trying to decide how to plan the rest of that day. Too bad you can't join us for dinner. Good garden friends, a good meal, and garden events-what more can you ask for? Keep using that yardstick. It's tough to space things properly this time of year when everything is so small.

Michelle, I finally cleaned out the garden where I have all the variegated Solomon's Seal and it's coming up strong. The Persicaria 'Painter's Pallette' hasn't really sprouted yet though so I'll have to wait another week or so before getting your package together. Have I promised anything to anyone else?

My neighbor came over this morning because she needed to disappear because her house was being shown. She has two boys-maybe 12 and 7. I figured it was a perfect time to kid test Mackenzie. The boys were sitting out on the patio so I let the dogs out. Hmmm...let's just say Mackenzie may have to go to a home without kids. She growled the whole time-a low growl-and slunk around like a fox. She did let one of the boys pat her but he might as well been hitting her the way she cowered and growled the whole time while she pasted herself to me. I was really suprised because she is affectionate and playful with Tom and I and has never growled at all. On a funny note, my neighbor told me the positive feedback she has been getting from potential buyers looking at her house is they love what I've done with mine. Apparently they aren't willing to buy hers to look at mine though...lol.

Ok, I'm beat and need to get into bed. Tomorrow is a bust due to Easter festivities. I wonder if anyone will believe me if I say I'm sick...lol.

Sue

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Good morning and Happy Easter to all who celebrate the day.

The weather yesterday was drop dead grogreous, but I woke up with a right wrist so sore I could barely move it. I think it's a ganglion cyst. No gardening for me; I had to eat left-handed yesterday and made my son (home for the weekend) drive me to the grocery store, etc. It's better this morning but still a little sore. I have a whole lot of bell-ringing to do in a couple of hours, so I will take a large dose of ibuprofen and wear a wrist brace.

DD mailed off her acceptance yesterday. Yes, this is the college where she auditioned in March. Small college of 2000 that is about 2 1/2 hours south of us. Her cousin is just finishing her freshman year, her best friend is going there and they have 100% job placement in music ed. We're all pleased!

I've got to keep this short to avoid aggravating the wrist, so I'm waving hello to all! (left-handed wave)Have a great day!

V.

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Crispy cool good morning to you all!

{{gwi:154037}}

Why is it that sickness and injuries take place on weekends? V, I'm sorry your wrist problem occurred on a major bell ringing day! Do take care of it soon please. I remember spraining my ankle long ago, 3 days before a dance recital...

Last night I covered the old pink tree peony because it was supposed to reach 32F. I don't think it did, but better to be safe and not loose all the buds.

The birds are a loud active bunch out there this morning! I hope to get out there too and weed for a few hours before cleaning up and driving off to dinner at our friends' place in the afternoon.

Enjoy this special day,
    'bug

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good Easter Morning all,

It is a lovely day here and Doug and I are starting our morning with our lap tops and coffee sitting in the dining room enjoying the sun streaming in. Ahhhhh. Spring and the longer days of this time of the year are like a happy pill for me. The good news is that I finished cleaning the garden next to the house on the East side and my Odoriba clematis is coming up with some beautiful new growth. I started digging out the corner where Im going to move that huge wisteria tree and the bad news is that the shovel never went further in than five inches at the deepest point. The constant clanging of shovel blade on rock was NOT welcome music to my ears! In fact the exact spot where I want to move it to has a pretty good sized boulder already poking out of the ground. I need my rock mover helper to deal with that only he is currently working on my trellis for the rose garden.

The trellis is looking pretty nice at this point and hes gotten the curved edge on the top all attached. Now Doug just has to make the two wings that are going to go on either side and paint the frame. Im hoping this gets finished very soon because Proteus is seriously looking for someplace to attach itself at this point.

I never did get to the Terrace Garden yesterday but Im hoping to get to it today. So much to do and the time is slipping away. It looks like both of my Heuchera Amber Waves have bit the dust. Im pretty bummed about that as they are so pretty. Id like to try another of those heucheras in those colors but was wondering is anyone knows which of those types are the hardiest.

V. sorry about your wrist. How did you do that? How the heck are you going to do your bells? Dont make it worse please? ~~ That is so great about DDs school acceptance.

Sue, I was in the garden all day yesterday myself and I SO know what you mean about the longer you spend outside the longer the list gets. I was supposed to just be cleaning out the garden on the east side of the house and I decided to dig out a huge patch of an old variety of white phlox paniculata that has always gotten mildew there and replace it with the David phlox I dug out of the driveway garden. Also I decided to get rid of a patch of shastas and plant my orphan tree peony in that spot. That side of the house gets about five to six hours of direct sun in the morning and Im thinking that plant will do well there. The poor thing got dug out of the garden next to the shed last summer and spent the winter in the pot I put it in when I dug it out. I thought it would probably be toast but Im amazed and pleased to find it alive and well and sporting some new growth. So it is going to get that primo location. Then I was amazed to see tons of greening at the nodes on my Rose of Sharon. The last two springs it didnt break dormancy until June. Incredible! So of course I had to stop what I was doing and get that pruned. ~~ LOL about the propagation list. I should put that together just for jollies. ~~ Im starting to move all the fuchsia outside as they can tolerate quite a bit of cold. In fact one of my biggies got left out by accident on a night that had a hard frost and it is now leafing out again so they are pretty tough. Im still keeping all the coleus inside for now as I discovered last year that they really resent being too cold and just do not do well at all until the temps warm up. Im supposed to have a cold frame delivered this coming week and Im going to get that set up in the trailer park on the hill. I think that little alcove in the rock will hold heat pretty well and Im going to experiment with a few of the more tender cuttings and see how it goes. I also want to pot up my dahlias and see how they do in there. Im going to wait on the caladium for another few weeks though.

Wendy, it sounds like youve accomplished a lot in the garden. You have so much more discipline than I do. I never seem to be able to leave that much space between plants. I just crowd things in and let the best man live. I start hoiking when things get crowded. ~~ Im looking forward to seeing you next week at the lecture also. ~~ Ive earmarked a couple Sedona for you and Ive got some Plum Frost that just got potted up so Ive got that also. I think Ive got lots of burgundy colored ones too and think youd also like Religious Radish which has terrific variegation in the leaves when it gets enough light. It has burgundy and purple in the leaves. Ive grown it in full sun and it seems to be happy as long as it gets enough water. If you can do pink Eclipse cant be beat and Ive got plenty of that right now. Yes, do try an upright fuscia, Ive got some Beacon which is a darker version of Beacon Rosa and is pretty easy to grow and winter over. ~~ Thanks for the info on Autumnale. Ill bet it needed a bit more sun. I never really did well with fuchsia until I started growing them in more sun, ditto coleus. Ive found that most of them can tolerate a lot more light if they get enough water and food.

Eden, Im envious that youve gotten your fish outside. We still have to get the pond cleaned out for the year and Ive got to be careful because I probably have some babies out there I couldnt find in the fall. It was a mild enough winter that they probably survived out there.

Marian, things are looking really pretty down your way. We arent even close. My Molly from Eileen is coming up beautifully and has a couple buds on it so Im looking forward to a flower from her this year also. Those Narcissus are really pretty and Ive noted the variety to look for in the fall. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle, I think weve gotten your wind here today. It is going to be a pain to be raking up leaves today but the sun is shining so Im just going to have to deal with it. ~~ How cool youve made cuttings from the cuttings!!! I love it! Just wait, you will soon find yourself with forty feet of lights in the winter also! ROTFLOL!

Taryn, I didnt know I could send any plants to Canada. If it is legal Id be happy to send you a box of my goodies. They actually are house plants and have been indoors for months so that isnt even a stretch. ~~ That oxalis is gorgeous. Ive never tried them and it really looks like it would be lovely in a container garden.

OK Ive got to get my day started and have to get all the indoor stuff watered before I go outside.

Have a great day everyone,
    Deanne

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Good morning and Happy Easter

As I type the children and a friend are dying eggs in the kitchen. I hope the cupboards don't get dyed too.

What fun reading about everyone's plant/garden activities.

I'm still taking things very slowly but yesterday enjoyed the entire day outside. It was gorgeous, sunny and warm with so much bursting into life. I remember Woody saying she gardens by the seat of her pants and that was what I did. I plonked myself on my bum and did some arms reach weeding and tidyup in one of the biggest beds. The violets by the evergreens were giving off a sweet scent and it was heavenly. Instead of rushing around trying to get everything done, I savored every smell, sight and touch, just enjoying the moment. Not a lot got done, but I think baby steps are what is called for right now.

V - congratulations to your DD - that is fantastic!! and take care of your wrist.

Need to check on egg activities. Unfortunately today is cooler and cloudy. We're going out for brunch, then an egg hunt a a friend's house. Should be a pleasant day though I'm missing the sunshine.

Mary

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

{{gwi:154038}}

Wow, Marie, great shot! Pulsatilla is such a neat spring flower.

Well I'm off to bring Mackenzie to another foster home for a few days. She'll be going to the vet and getting a change of scenery. Then we're off to the in in-laws for the afternoon. Boo hoo-it would have been a great day for gardening.

If Easter is on your holiday calendar, enjoy!

Sue

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Happy Easter! I have my scalloped potatoes cooking away in the crockpot and am free until we have to leave around 4pm for dinner at my sister's. It's cool and cloudy here but no rain in the forecast. David and Brad are getting ready to go out disc golfing and I'm wondering if I want to go out and do some more garden cleanup or maybe hit a nursery or two.

Mary, I'm so glad you were able to get some garden time in. I've been having the same attitude about trying to enjoy the moment while I'm working in the garden instead of thinking of how much there is to do or what I need to hurry and move on to next.

Michelle, good news that you didn't lose much over the winter. I've been relieved to see things return that I wasn't sure about but am not seeing my heuchera peach melba or peach flambe. The squirrels are hard on the heucheras around here over the winter though so it could be their fault.

Sue, that's great news on your musa. So far no green anywhere on mine but I still have hope. How far down did you cut your stem last fall? We cut ours down to about 18 inches. It feels firm and there are small offshoots around the base that feel firm to but no green on those yet either.

Deanne, I'll play the container game too if you post a list of the plants. Sounds like fun! You got alot accomplished yesterday. I agree that it feels good to look out and see the gardens all neat and tidy. That's why I start at the front and work my way to the back. That way it looks good from the house even when the back of the garden's still a mess.

V, sorry about your wrist. I hope it gets feeling better soon. Didn't Cynthia have that same thing last year?

Wendy, good for you having enough discipline to use the yard stick. I'm trying to get better at that but it's hard.

I think the nursery has won out. It looks cold and cloudy in the garden and at the nursery I can walk around inside where it's warm and sniff the Easter Lilies. Have a great day everyone!

Eden

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Hi all, just a quick post because I'm taking a short break before hitting the shower to get ready for dinner at MJ's. she is fixing rack of lamb and I'm bringing the scalloped potatoes. I LOL when I saw that Eden was bringing the scalloped potatoes to a late afternoon dinner as well.

I never wound up getting outside today as I wound up spending my whole morning/early afternoon taking care of the indoor plants, labeling things that are going to new homes and checking that I've got enough of everything. I decided to make another batch of Sedona and Peter Wonder and was surprised to realize that I never did a bunch of cuttings from Religious Radish so I've got to do that tomorrow.

Doug is finishing up my trellis and it is going to be just gorgeous!!! I'm over the moon with it and will have to post a pic when it is finished. I told him he just saved us a couple hundred dollars and now he wants to make me another! Cool!

OK break is over and I've got to run and get ready for dinner. Enjoy the evening all,
    Deanne

• taryn
    17 years ago

HAPPY EASTER IDYLLS!

This is kinda cool--check out my Easter message below! The audio isn't quite in sync, but still! Imagine the possibilities....

Taryn :)

• Lara Noles
    17 years ago

Well I was doing good. Went to the first nursery and saw a couple of plants of interest, heuchera mardi gras and polemonium stairway to heaven. But I was strong and didn't purchase anything. Then on to the second nursery where I totally fell off the wagon. They had starter plants about the size you'd get from Bluestone and if you purchased a full flat, 32 plants, they were $2 each. I got some really cool stuff though. Salvia wildthing, salvia koyamae, indigofera pseudotinctoria, a buddleia pink delight, and for containers oregano kents beauty, vinca illumination and ajuga burgundy glow and mahogany and alot more stuff. Then I picked up a heuchera black bird and a euphorbia chameleon and a couple of ipomoeas, sweetheart purple and sweetheart red. Oh well, it was fun. Gotta run now. Time to leave for Easter dinner.

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Hi guys -

Just a quick half-blab...

Taryn, I watched your movie - how cool to hear your voice! I enjoyed the tour of your greenhouse; pretty hydrangea.

Lol on the scalloped potatoes, we had them earlier for our Easter dinner too! Yummy!

Deanne, thanks putting aside the plants for me. I do have a cutting of coleus 'Cantigny Royale' for you if you still want it. Re: heuchera 'Amber Waves', a review of Dan Heims' new book 'Heucheras and Heucherellas' in Horticulture magazine says that H. 'Marmalade' is more "vigorous" than 'Amber Waves' - maybe more hardy too? I haven't tried either one personally though.

Eden, sounds like a nice haul for you - and at that price!

Well, DS is standing behind me waiting for his turn on the computer, so I have to go now.

Enjoy the rest of the day!

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago

Sounds like most had a nice Easter. I'm feeling kind of bad that we didn't have scalloped potatoes...

Well, I'm not sure what was up with this wrist thing. Saturday night I couldn't even lift a fork to my mouth without horrible pain. Right now, I'm totally pain free. Was it the massive doses of ibuprofen? The massive doses of red wine? The sports creme? The slamming my wrist into the wall to get rid of the cyst? Something worked and I'm not sure what, but it's just a little weird to have it totally gone now.

I rang all my bells successfully, and we had a wonderful dinner - a ham from a local farmer (free range, no drugs) and lamb that DH prepared according to Cook's Illustrated and it was some of the best lamb I ever had. Spinach salad, asparagus, double baked potatoes, and a lamb cake for dessert. My lamb cake was a tad anorexic looking but still tasty.

Time to do a final clean up and go nitey-nite!

Hasta lunas,

V.

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I sounds like lots of us got some gardening yesterday. I did spend the whole day outside, but I just cant tell you how terrible windy it was. I did get almost all the gardens cleaned except the butterfly garden which is one of the biggest but the furthest from the house. I also spent some time trying to eradicate some white obedient plant. It grows like crazy. I also have the pink and it is positively whimpy for me. The white yarrow and the Lady bells that I dug out last fall havent shown themselves yet but I cant believe it will be that easy to get rid of them. You how it goes when you first start gardening and you plant anything and then later realize that not all perennials are your friend.

We ended up with an indoor egg hunt as it was cool and rainy today. Does that mean 7 more rainy Sundays? My mom and dad gave Kenzie a stuffed rabbit and we gave her a little stuffed duck. She didnt pay attention to either. Instead she carried around a feathered bird that I have perched in a little tree. She kept kissing and hugging it. I gave her a little piece of a peanut butter M&M and she loved it. She knows the sign for more and she kept asking for more. I had to hide the candy basket.

No scalloped potatoes here. We had roasted pork loin, little red potatoes with fresh chives, broccoli soufflé, garlic bread, lettuce salad with mandarin oranges and sugared almonds. My mom brought the pies.

Marian, things are looking so beautiful in your garden. I love those white and pink narcissis and Molly is a fabulous peony.

Eden, I have really admired the pictures Ive seen of Kents Beauty. The rabbits really munched my heucheras, but I had covered Peach Melba with a pine branch. I dont think a couple of the Amethyst Mist faired as well.

V, I hope your wrist feels better. I deal with a permanent ganglion cyst on my left upper hand. I have had it removed, but it returns. Most of the time it doesnt bother.

Taryn, how absolutely cool your video is.

I thought Id share a picture of my purple oxalis that I used in a container last summer. I did overwinter it and it looked good until a couple of weeks ago. It seems to be going down hill.

Later,
    Michelle

{{gwi:154039}}

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Good morning all, - dont know how you find the energy to post after all day in the garden?! I did nothing but work in the yard both days it was glorious but I was way too tuckered inside to do anything other than get a shower & fall onto the sofa! I got a few things moved around, about a dozen new plants planted, a new armillary put in a home in the front side garden (& Im hoping I didnt install it on top of any bulbs or plants not yet out), and assembled & hoiked the Plow & Hearth pillar into the bed for Cl. Betty Corning whos been throwing herself all about. I too ordered Mrs. Robert Brydon this year originally as a type of groundcover usage, but now Im having some trepidation about that concept & have to find a better place for it. Got to get some rebar too to help anchor the 3 metal arbors I put in last year (theyre doing that tilt-a-whirl thing this year...)

I will say that unfortunately neither new polemonium (nor a brunnera) made it thru the winter for me very disappointing; no sign of the veronicastrum fascination or dictamnus alba either I sure hope theyre just "late breakers..." but I suspect thats not the issue. . . .

I also took a bunch of photos that Ill try to post a bit later couldnt get the energy to do that at nite either! My mertensia are in bloom along with a bunch of other things, even the first of the iris pumila they just keep coming & coming each day. We then got a nice soaking rain last nite that is to continue today perfect timing to water everything all in all a very successful weekend!

Hearing all the remarks about everyones Easter menus has made me very hungry - & its only 9 a.m.! I turned down a couple of dinner invites because I jealously wanted to just work in the yard all day even had 2 phone calls from my father & brother who were attempting to do a prime rib & roast potatoes for themselves & Mom pretty funny trying to explain that no, those potatoes should not go in the oven for 3 hours w/ the beef!

Ill try to post later in response to everyones comments the one thing I did notice was Michelles inquiry re Arabella Ive got her twining thru a Heritage rose its gorgeous & Im expecting great things of them this year, as last year was the first for Arabella but shes looking very healthy today. I even have great big buds on Niobe, Blue Moon and Helsingborg has the first of its yummy blue blooms. So exciting!! Wish I had a better camera to get some close-ups; they seem to fade with this amateurs attempts.

Can someone re-wind to Saturday please?

Cindy

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Just back from a quick race into town where I deposited a check, picked up nail polish (!) that I'd ordered for my beautiful toes, and bought grass seed at the hardware store. Didn't have time for the nursery though. :-(

It is sunny and warming up a bit finally. Cindy, I hope you can be patient a bit longer. Brunnera always returns very very late for me.Veronicastrum and dictamnus are late risers for me too. Hang in there! Mrs Robert Brydon is a great ground cover. What's your hesitation?

I need to clean out the mailbox area today, perhaps get started on weeding the raspberry and asparagus patches too.

I hope your Easter was as nice as mine. We had a lovely lamb dinner and a fabulous moulded maple syrup custard with strawberries and raspberries for dessert. Lots of easter chocolates...so I am recovering from all that today. My friend gave me one of her many clivia plants too. Hope I don't kill it! She also gave me a beautiful Peit Oudolf book on natural gardens. It turned out to be a Christmas, birthday & Easter celebration all in one!

Heard from David B that his clematis have survived their move to his new place. He was pretty concerned by their dead appearance last Fall and is of course thrilled to see new life on them!

Later,
    'bug

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

T- re the Capitol photos Im such a poor photographer I have never brought my camera to work I couldnt do the cherry blossoms justice Im hoping to get a good digital camera sometime this year (more in the line of the point & shooters) & will perhaps be skilled enuf next year to give those a shot! My office is close enough to walk to the mall at lunch and sometimes to the Tidal Basin if I get very energetic & have a little extra time they are stunning but its always sooooo crowded when theyre in full bloom a site to behold from afar or near.. I cant believe all the damage that stupid woodpecker is doing to your garage! wow o wow.

GB, thanks for the note of encouragement re the MIA plants Im hoping & watching (daily LOL) that a couple of em will pop up and surprise me. I am trying not to plant any more new plants for a week or two to give any lazy sleepers a chance. I also looked thru last year photos to try to figure out if Id covered anything w/ the pedestal of the new armillary but had no closeups so Im just taking a leap of faith on that one! Re the Cl. Mrs. R.Brydon, I had envisioned (from a couple of book photos) of it "frothing" & skimming lightly in front of a bed border but I realize that DD (thats dog, not daughter) Chloe loves to hop in & out of there & I suspect shed break the stems in her travels at the front. Shes not destructive but loves to "investigate" where the neighborhood cats & pests have been in our yard! I may have to try to force it to climb instead by tying up...?

Deanne gorgeous fuchsias hard to believe most of those are "babies"!!! I love the "open" effect of your white hyacinths some seem so tight and closed; too stiff I definitely prefer the looser look. And oops youve got lost of fresh white for spring dont you? And you obviously CAN grow hellebores as well that Ivory Prince is indeed "princely"

Taryn thats a stunning oxalis. Your video was very clever & cool!

Marian I love those Chinese Coral narcissus very lovely. I dont have any "pink" ones thats a lovely color. Such a nice gift. And it looks like youve got lots blooming isnt Spring wonderful! and Great news about Nolon.

Sue, you guys made terrific progress for the hot tub site lookin good. My DB just installed one at his house (his present to himself) he installed on sand/flagstone base w/ a small rock wall around it. Thats a shame that Mackenzie is not a "childrens" dog but Im sure youll find her a perfect home shes a cutie!

V sorry about your wrist but glad its better if only you could figure out what "magic bullet" solve that problem!

Mary, meant to say to you that you did a perfect thing, just sitting & enjoying the garden all too often we dont really get to do that because were so busy working in it you were wise to take this opportunity and make the most of it "squeeze that lemon & make lemonade"!!
    O wow the pulsatilla shot how wonderful.

Deanne, why are you moving that fantastic wisteria standard? to get it away from that neighbor? It looks so wonderful against the gate. The new trellis sounds wonderful Im so envious of all these able-bodied helpmates who make things for the gardener! I find I sometimes have to compromise what I would really like with the reality of trying to install or do these things myself I just dont have the physical strength sometimes to pound stakes into the ground or cement them, etc. (but I would NEVER confess that to a guy!! LOL).

Scalloped potatoes and lamb are sounding mighty yummy here! not very dietetic but yummmmmmm.
    Ok, back to reality.
    -cindy

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Shooie! It's 86F and not even the hottest part of the day! A rather smothering heat.

Thanks for the positive comments on the Daffs. Nikki, Tim's lady friend, specifically picked out the prettiest pink ones she could find, since I had mentioned that was the color I was wishing I had.I keep finding pleasant surprises in my flowerbeds. I thought I had lost some clems, but they have all shown up. I did lose the earliest blooms on Asao, either due to the late freeze, or the hail. I know it snapped some of the Multi Blue's buds off.It still has a good crop of early buds. The Ernest Markham had 2 shoots last year. This year it has 6! I am training them to cover most of the tacky trellis that I made from reinforced cement wire tomato rings. They won't reach all the way around to the south side of the structure, so I've sown Heavenly Blue Morningglories on that side.

It sounds like some fancy eating went on yesterday. :-)
    We had canned Progresso vegetable beef soup, and store bought Coconut pie. (Smile) I chose not to stop at the local One Stop, even though it was open. Otherwise, it was a normal Sunday for us.

None of you need to envy our early spring. At least you don't have to remove ticks every time you come back in from working in your yards. I have already got bites from my shoulders down to my ankles. Some of the ticks had to be removed with tweezers. :-(
    I still have a couple of bags of tick granules, but hate to use them for fear I will kill beneficial critters.

Teresa, That is really awful what the woodpecker is doing to your house! Only our trim is wood, and (so far) it hasn't attracted woodpeckers. They sure do work on dead and dying trees around us. The sapsuckers did a number on the Am.Cranberry Viburnum in front of our house. It looks like it will be okay. It is all leafed out, and covered with flowerbuds.

I think the drought, or the hail, damaged the blooms on the Doublefile Viburnum. They aren't nearly as pretty as last year.
    The Iris cristata is in full bloom. I wonder if the recipients of the roots that I sent had any success with them.

That reminds me....we haven't heard from Lisa in Oklahoma in a long time. I sure hope she is okay.

Marian

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

A Micro-blab:

Hoppy Easter to those who celebrated the day!
    We had scalloped potatoes! ; )(never knew that was a traditional Easter dish?)

yAY and congrats V to your DD!

The stump was removed today...lots of chips here.My back is complaining.

Love the pics~I'll have to comment later. Miss y'all!

(BEAUTIFUL dogwood Marian!)

~Babs

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Evening all, I had such a weird day here. Got up and had my AM coffee and oats then went to the gym. Got home from the gym and didnt feel well the rest of the day. I dont know what I ate yesterday that didnt agree with me but Im thinking that the rack of lamb and scalloped potatoes was too rich for this old bod. Im finally feeling a bit better after a dinner of salad with grilled chicken. Too funny, I dont get away with much anymore in the dietary indiscretion department. I tried to work outside but just couldnt do much. Im hoping a good nights sleep will take care of things. I have too much to do and there is just no time to be sick!

Babs, you are too funny, a micro-blab and you had scalloped potatoes also? Too funny.

Marian, eeeeuuuu. About the ticks. Yukky! I absolutely loathe those things. Have you ever tried any of the Buzz-Off clothing from LLBean or Cabelas? They actually do work and keep the bugs off. I think they are supposed to work with repelling ticks too. I have a hat, jeans and a shirt that make working outside during black fly season bearable.

Cindy, yep, Ive got to move that wisteria to get it away from the property line so it doesnt aggravate the nasty neighbor anymore. ~~ I know how very lucky I am that Doug is able and willing to help me out and make things for the gardens and house. ~~ It sounds like you had a great weekend in the garden. Im thinking of picking up C. Betty Corning this year myself.

Michelle, that container with the Kiwi Fern, Oxalis and Ipomoea is gorgeous!!!!

V, sorry about your wrist but glad that it is feeling better. I used to have a ganglia on my left hand but it went away after being an aggravation for many years and has never returned. ~~ That free range ham sounds absolutely yummy! I havent had ham in a while.

Wendy, thanks for the information on heucheras. Im going to have to look for Marmalade. Also thanks for the cutting of Cantigny Royale. Im a firm believer that one can never have too many varieties of coleus. LOL

So Eden, where are you going to plant all those new babies???? Great score! LOL Here is what I can think of for the plants list .

Abutilon

Abutilon pictum Thompsonii

Canna
    Pretoria
    Wyoming

Coleus

Alabama Sunset (From Sue)
    Copper
    Eclipse
    Felix
    Gays Delight
    Kiwi Fern (From Eileen)
    Moonglow
    Peter Wonder
    Plum Frost
    Religious Radish
    Sedona
    Solar Flare
    Solar Sunrise aka Mt. Washington (From Sue)
    Tilt-a-Whirl (From Eileen)
    Wizard Pineapple (From Babs)

Dahlia
    Bellini
    Crazy Love
    Kelvin Floodlight (From Honey)
    Le Baron (From Honey)
    Lilac Time
    Ottos Thrill
    Pablo
    Rosella
    Snow Country

Fuchsia

Beacon
    Beacon Rosa
    Constance
    Lena
    Sun Ray

Ipomoea batatas

Blackie
    Margarita
    Sweet Carolina Bronze

Iresine herbstii

Plectranthus

Lemon Twist
    Variegated plectranthus
    Troys Gold

Perilla Magilla

Okie dokie, time for me to hit the sack. Have a great evening all,
    Deanne

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Finally got a chance to upload photos from last month & a week ago (boy, things are so different already!) But I like some of this spring color:

{{gwi:154040}}

{{gwi:154041}}

{{gwi:154042}}

{{gwi:154044}}

The other results of my over-zealous fingers on the shutter are located at:

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Well, I just found Deanne's seeds for Linde Armstrong cleome. I guess I still have time to plant them??? Seeds for Malva Zebrina are up after only one weekend!

Today was the day when Myrtle the turtle oozed out of the pond to explore the world of 2006. Boy, Charlotte was barking up a storm when she saw her. The kingfishers returned and were flying everywhere and the big fat Mama goose sat tight on her nest as I walked slowly past. Ah nature!

I did finish fertilizing all the clematis and weeded the mailbox garden. Tomorrow I go out in the afternoon, but I MUST start vegetable garden cleanup in the morning. Deanne, I just want you to know that ultimately Betty Corning gets VERY BIG and needs very solid support. It is beautiful and everyone should grow it, but be warned!

{{gwi:154045}}

True confession time: I have never made scalloped potatoes.

OK, time to go study investments with DH. Not my favorite activity....
    'bug

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

You seed people just reminded me...I collected seed from my Purple Hyacinth Bean vine last year and have some Carmencita Castor bean seeds that I never got around to doing anything with last year. Can I plant them now? What do I do-stick them in some soil in small pots and wait for growth?

I've never made scalloped potatoes either, Marie. In fact I only make potatoes for Thanksgiving. When we have starch at all, it's usually rice. Easter dinner yesterday was turkey. Since Tom's SIL is not known for her cooking I won't go into details on the rest of the meal but I will say that the leftovers a few of my co-workers brought in today were beyond scrumptious. We had a variety of cookies, almond poundcake, ricotta pie and this to die for cherry nut cake with cream cheese frosting-all homemade. Blew my healthy eating regimen all to hell.

Marian, I heard your heatwave forecast on the news this morning. Keep cool! I've already removed a few ticks from the dogs this year. I'm lucky here-all we seem to get are wood ticks. It's the deer ticks that carry Lyme disease.

More bad backs...everyone around me is complaining too-my boss, Tom...it's that time of year when people are trying to do too much. This morning I was on the floor in my boss's office showing him the various stretches that I do. It's a good thing we're at the end of a hallway and nobody came down at that particular time...lol.

Cindy, it looks like spring has sprung at your house.

OK, that's it for now.

Sue

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Oh what a beautiful morning,
    Oh what a beautiful day,
    I've got a wonderful feeling,
    Everything's going my way.

(Well, it isn't 86F here Marian!)

Chloehoover- lovely colour in your gardens!
    Enjoy YOUR day! That means you too Deanne. I hope you are feeling better now.

'bug

• drema_dianne
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone!

We had a nice Easter. Everyone came over for dinner, and then we had the egg hunt and played Trivial Pursuit. We have one old and one new game, and we play in teams. Skip knows all the science, geography and history, but absolutely nothing about pop culture, so we had to mixt them together. We take turns asking questions from each box. That way everyone knows some sort of an answer. Devin had his birthday party Saturday night at the Fitness Center. We played dodge ball and swam in the pool. Yesterday I ordered Dahlias from Swan Island. I just started by getting a collection. LOW GROWING COLLECTION These varieites work great as borders. This collection contains: All Triumph (white), Bitsy (lavender), Firepot (Orange/Yellow), Mary Jo (peach), Matilda Huston (red), Park Princess (pink), Sisa (yellow). The varieties have blooms from 3" to 4" and the bush heights of under 3'. Then I ordered separately, CHILSON'S PRIDE (BBID) Introduced in 1984. 4" blooms of pure pink with white center. Bush height is 5'. and the other one was LADY LIBERTY (BFD) Introduced in 2003. An excellent exhibition flower, 6" blooms are pristine white with petals that fold all the way back to the stem. I really wanted to buy some lilies, but I have some of those already, and don't really have many Dahlias, except the ones I bought at Sam's Club last year, and I enjoyed them so much at the end of the season.

I got an email from picture trail telling me the stats on my photo viewing, and they said 706 people viewed Bab's birthday card. Could there possibly be that many lurkers here? Maybe Babs just has loads of friends who she sent to look at it?

V- Congratulations to your Daughter! How exciting! I hope your wrist is better.

Sue, are you putting down a concrete pad for the hot tub, or a deck? Ours is on a deck, and it sort of settled a little crooked, so the water level wasn't straight across. I was pretty easy for Skip to fix. We have soft sandy soil.

GB, I love that song.

Deanne, hope you are feeling better.

Mary, nice pulsatilla shot. Glad to hear you are recouperating.

Marian, can you paint ticks with nail polish? Or is that chiggers? I know when we went up to the Upper Peninsula last year a couple of us got chigger bites.

Taryn, I loved the video. I hope you sell your house this weekend. It's that time of year. Did I tell you guys I sold another one a couple of weeks ago? I really like doing real estate.

Cindy, those are really nice photos. I have always wanted to go to DC when the cherry blossoms are blooming.

That's about it for me. Hope you all have a great sunshiney day!

D.

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Gardenbug - re the Cl. Betty Corning - I have to laugh because I kept reading on the forums here how huge everyone says she gets - altho most of the books say things like (8-10 feet), which is not so large -- but your photo proves that wrong I suspect -- she's so vigorous - I love her. I've been thinking of pairing one of the Bettys w/ another clematis but havent been able to come up with a good combo idea -- have you seen any successful combos w/ her?

Deanne - I hope you feel better today -- if only we could cure our tastebuds of all that great, rich food desire - we'd all feel much healthier and thinner I guess -- I pant at the thought of fried chicken (too many TV commercials in the evening -- all about Fried Chicken - there outta be a law!).

Drema - sounds like a nice list of Dahlias - Im giving some a try myself this year - altho I know nothing about them except they're a lot of work!

Hopefully a nice Spring day here -- those 80s are lurking later in the week - some of Marian's weather I guess. Yikes - too soon!

-Cindy

• just_t
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good morning!

It is a frosty 30 degrees out this morning and that *&^%$ bird (woodpecker) is still pounding at my house! I have so much shiny 'junk' hanging and blowing there, but he just dodges it and continues to peck. Along with the two cds I took tin foil, cut it in 2" x 18" strips and attached it to a piece of cardboard (think wind chime effect). I was making a cup of coffee and hear some drumming.......ran out (with the camera) and sure enough he's holding onto the siding...under the foil strips and pounding his beak on the downspout. Darn thing was probably choosing to pound on the metal downspout so I'd know he was back. Kind of a woodpecker raspberry noise to the homeowner. I didn't tell you guys that my DH got out the shotgun on Sunday morning and sat on the porch waiting for the bird to return (it had been on the house twice in the previous 15 minutes---pounding). Reminded me a bit of Elmer Fudd going after the wrascally wrabbit. He was prepared to blast him to smithereens --- I wondered what the house was going to look like with the peppered buckshot...........but the bird was wily and didn't come while DH was out there with his gun. This bird is doing a real job on our minds (and our house)! I'm not even laughing any longer......the destruction is amazing and we are just not sure how to stop him. My next consideration is to staple butcher/freezer paper to the house to cover the siding there. My thinking is it will be slick and perhaps the bird/pecker won't be able to get a toe hold on it? We've got to find something that works to keep the darn thing away.

:o\ That's my morning tale of woe.

The sun is shining on the hillside across the way.........grass is still covered in white frost.....it looks to be a pretty day.

My best to all (except the darn woodpecker)!!
    T.

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Hi all,

Well I just got back from my yearly physical and I think I need an overhaul. LOL Ive had some problems with an arrhythmia and had to have an EKG and now am scheduled for an echocardiogram then have to get an event monitor. Yuk. Im also going to talk to a nutritionist at the hospital and see if he/she has any dietary suggestions or information I dont know about. Leave no stone unturned is a good motto. Then Ive got to schedule another bone density test and a mammogram and also have to see an allergist. I dont think Im going to have any time to be in the garden with all this garbage I have to have checked and tested. I just hate this stuff.

Anyway, done whinging about that for now. Bug that Betty Corning pic is glorious. I must have that clematis!!!!! Maybe Ill plant it in the corner where Im removing the wisteria? LOL Id like to have a huge, aggressive vine on that fence. ~~ Glad you reminded me about the Cleome Linde Armstrong seeds Ive not sown mine now either.

Sue, lol about your back stretching demonstrations at work. I can see it now.

Cindy, Cindy, Cindy!!!! Your spring gardens are scrumptious and beautiful. What a treat to see your gorgeous pics. Thanks for sharing those. ~~ LOL about the fried chicken. So true about wishing I didnt like rich food. ~~ Interesting enough the doctor told me today to STOP trying to lose weight. She thinks some of what Ive got going on right now may be because Ive been calorie deprived for a very long time. Sometimes I think I cant win.

Drema how nice to hear from you. Sounds like you had a great Easter. ~~ Im looking forward to seeing pics of those dahlias, they sound lovely. I think a person can never have too many fuchsia, coleus or dahlias right?

Oh T!!!! The vision of your DH blasting away at the side of your house and the woodpecker flying off hooting in laughter has me ROTFLOL. That being said, the damage is just terrible. I wonder if you could find out what the heck the bird is going after. Do you have a local Audubon society person you could get some information from?

OK Im going to get myself outside and use up the rest of this sunshine today. Lots and lots to accomplish out there still and Im working all weekend.

Enjoy the day all,
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Isn't it amazing! It is after 8pm and DH is still working outside in daylight! This is a perfect early spring!

Today we are enjoying hepatica blooms. Here are a few of them:

{{gwi:154046}}

{{gwi:154047}}

{{gwi:154048}}

'bug

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I had my meeting today and we finished up at 3:00. So I had an extra hour to shop. I went to Menards which if you dont have them is like Home Depot. It is a huge new store that just opened. I found a great rack to hang garden tools on. You purchase the hooks separately and are able to get different sizes. I also bought a wire shelving unit. These things will help me organize the garden shed. I also got a cool jute rug on clearance for $15.00 that will go in there too. That says its an indoor outdoor rug. Then I stopped at the local nursery. I didnt see much other than another fancy leaf geranium, coleus Black Dragon and Purple Beauty hens and chicks. Id like to do some kind of succulent container. Oh, I picked up a couple of cool houseplants at Menards for container use. Then I had supper with Kenzie and her parents. Kenzie had to show me her purple "Dora" sunvisor, garden trowel and 3 tined digger. Shell be grandmas garden helper. So it was a fun day.

Those hepaticas are so pretty bug.

Deanne, sorry to hear about the heart problems. I hope it isnt serious. I know that all that stuff takes time and none of it is fun. I recently had the mamo, but should get in for the physical.

Cindy, great to see pictures of your lovely garden.

Our weather has settled down from the high last week of 87 to about 57 today.

Sue, I just planted my Carmencita Castor bean seeds last night. I wintersowed them, although winter is over. Basically, I planted in a milk jug, watered and taped the top of the jug on and set them outside. Keep watered. The jug acts as a mini greenhouse. I will do the hyacinth bean vines soon the same way. Im sure you could plant in pots under lights or a sunny window too.

Marian, we get ticks here too, but not yet. Although, I am watching for them.

Im sleepy, so Ill say goodnight

Michelle