SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bohemianpunk

Container cabbages and cheap soil

bohemianpunk
15 years ago

I'm starting off a little small for my first organic container garden. I have three cabbage seedlings that I picked up at a local gardening workshop and my plan is as such. I got a few 17qt. pots (I've read that cabbages need a 5gal pot and this was the closest I could find). I'm planning to transplant each one into it's own 17qt. pot. Then I'll probably add in some rosemary, thyme, and maybe some marjoram. I read that the rosemary and thyme complements cabbage, and it would be nice to have some fresh marjoram and thyme for coq au vin.

A friend of mine has a compost pile in his backyard, and I was going to mix a bit into the soil before I pot the seedlings. Earlier today, I picked up some potting soil from (I'm ashamed to admit) Walmart. I figured at $1.50 a bag, I couldn't go wrong (I see now where the phrase "cheap as dirt" comes from). Even if it was of somewhat lower quality, I was thinking that mixing in the compost would make up for it. However, I've been reading the forums this afternoon, and a lot of the conversations about soil has me wondering if I'm actually about to make a mistake.

Since everyone here is more experienced than me, I was hoping to get a critique of my plan. The pots, the herbs, the soil, what do you all think? Thanks.

Comments (3)