SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mary_piper_gw

I thought I'd be back to work by now!

mary_piper
15 years ago

The paper announced that our county's unemployment rate for the month of March was 16.2%. Yikes. And since that report came out, a couple of the big box stores have announced they were closing. My favorite restaurant closed because the rent was too high and revenue down, but it may re-open at another location. It was just a small mom and pop Italian restaurant with very reasonable prices. I keep checking my hospital's online job board, but very few jobs are posted, and nothing I feel confident about applying for. I'm not too nervous yet, because we have always lived well within our means, but I'm not able to add to our retirement fund. Plus, now I have to start paying COBRA (the hosp paid the first 6 months of my unemployment) and it ain't cheap!

On the plus side, I'm really enjoying my time off! My mom has gained 10 lbs and now weighs 90 lbs, because we eat lunch every day at the senior citizens nutrition center. We've met some wonderful people there and mom seems so much happier and active. Unfortunately, I feel like I've gained also, and haven't been going to the gym, that I promised myself I would do when I lost my job.

How is the economy in your area? The schools seem to have been hit hard, with teachers being laid off. I hate to see that. Homes seem to be more reasonably priced, but they're still not selling.

Comments (4)

• Janis_G
    15 years ago

Georgia is at 9.3 the last I heard.

We've lost a lot of stores here in our town.
    Starbucks is closing after only 13 months in business.
    I never have been to a Starbucks so it wasn't a loss to me.
    I hate it for the people that worked there.
    The box stores are slow but still going.

We've also had several stores come in to town in the past
    year. Panera Bread, Five Guys Burgers, TJ Max and others I
    can't remember the names. There is also a big shopping
    center going up north of town. It has a South of the border
    flavor but so far it hasn't opened.

I think things are looking better but I'm not going to hold my breath or anything.

Join the Silver Sneakers exercise program at the Senior center. Your mom can
    even if you aren't old enough. It is fun and you get a pretty good workout.

• ronbre
    15 years ago

My son's job is auto industry related ..parts..and he is laid off 2 weeks or more out of every month..he may lose his house..hope not, he has been trying to get his loan restructured, and they keep promising..but he has been trying since Oct.

our STATE is nearly a Ghosttown..state..people can't afford to stay here, unless more industry comes in..we have had a few solar and wind plants move into the state..but not in our area.

my mom will be 90 in May, she is very thin..but still walks a few miles a day..mostly inside now as it is cold to be outside yet in Mich

• Josh
    15 years ago

Sadly, a lot of jobs are lost which aren't hitting the news except in the statistics, such as my cosmetics saleslady after 13 years. On the other hand, my son produces tv ads and car dealerships especially are keeping him hopping (yeah, those annoying car commercials...lol). DIL left an unpleasant job situation last year to enjoy GD's last summer before 1st grade but luckily found new job with orthopedic hospital early this year...guess it's about as secure as any these days. They've just moved to larger house, partly because it was a very good time to buy at good price, but also because 2 teens (16 and 18) will probably now go to local University, while living at home. They feel fortunate but still having to consider economy in their decisions.

DH is fortunate that the Assisted Living facility has cook-from-scratch meals...and I love to cook for myself and eat...lol I do know 2-3 retired couples who make the rounds of the various hospital cafeterias often...they say the food is freshly prepared 24/7, reasonably priced and under direction of qualified dietician. Plus there's often a friend/relative inpatient to visit. Certainly not my choice of venue but they seem to enjoy it. Since there is a wheelchair and walker involved, I'm told the disabled parking, etc. is well-planned, not true of many restaurants.

A couple of the enclosed shopping malls here open early for joggers, walkers. Seems a good idea particularly for northern states. It's a safe out of the weather place for early morning exercise...and free if you just windowshop...LOL

I've rebalanced my own budget considerably, cutting out cable tv, magazine subscriptions, and most regrettd: new plant orders. I've discovered using online news sources and spending time enjoying my existing plants to be good for both my garden and myself...LOL All too often those 4 inch pots didn't get cared for or planted properly. Plus I'm using up a lot of leftover seeds. I do need my housekeeper parttime...cleaning and errands, appointments, grocery shopping since I no longer drive. But if cigs go up again I might have to cut back more on wine, even tho they say it's good for you. Hard choices. lol Overall though I'm incredibly fortunate and I'm fully aware of it.

I feel a little hopeful that slowly things are beginning to turn around but it will be a long struggle for so many folks...I don't know of anyone who hasn't been affected in some way and worried either for themselves or family members. Sadly, tea and sympathy aren't enough when you've lost your job, home, or even just the chance to go off to college carefree...whatever it might be. Sad times. josh

• andie_rathbone
    15 years ago

Unemployment here is something like 7.5% which sounds great when compared with 16%, but not so great when compared to 4.3% which is what it was about one year ago.

If one is in the healthcare field, the prospects of getting a job are pretty good as we have three big hospitals here and are a regional health center. However, if you're looking for some other kind of job, the pickings are pretty slim.

Circuit City & Linens & Things closed here as part of their nationwide bankruptcies and I think some stores are hanging on by a thread. However, mostly stores have just halted expansion programs. The local grocery store chain was going to open an upper end store that would compete with HEB's Central Market. But although the sign announcing the store has been up for about a year, there are no signs of breaking ground for construction. Ditto for the local Target that got the OK from our Planning & Zoning commission to enlarge the store. I think those plans are on indefinite hold.

Sponsored
More Discussions