SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrbreeze_gw

Heating and cooling a sunroom

mrbreeze
15 years ago

I'm in the very early stages of planning for some type of sunroom. I know there are countless ways to heat and cool them so I was wondering if anyone has some actual 'real world' experiences to share about advantages/disadvantages of various methods?

More specifically, the contractor that was here today mentioned an Amana wall unit heater/AC similar to what my mother has in hers. It would be fine for hanging out but for growing orchids...it would have issues. Both the heating and the cooling would screw up the humidity. Maybe that cannot be avoided?

So some other possibilities would be: under floor heating, baseboard, electric space heater, gas fired of various types, and? For cooling, some type of evap. cooler makes the most sense but I don't know how one of those could be incorporated in a sunroom and I guess they couldn't be used in the cold months. I could use stand alone humidifiers and let them fight it out with the heater/AC I suppose.

There are french doors that would open into the room from the rest of the house. So another possibility might be to have them open to allow the temps to modulate but have some kind of plastic curtain to keep the humidity in. I can also design the floor so that it could be sprayed down (perhaps with a drain?) to increase humidity. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Comments (13)