SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmcilhargie

Idyll #311-With A Little Help From My Friends

Lara Noles
17 years ago

You all help me get through the rainy days like today, my Idyll friends!

What would you think if I sang out of tune

Would you stand up and walk out on me

Lend me your ears and I'll sing you a song

And I'll try not o sing out of key

Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends

Mm, I get high with a little help from my friends

Mm, gonna try with a little help from my friends

What do I do when my love is away

Does it worry you to be alone?

How do I feel by the end of the day

Are you sad because you're on your own

No, I get by with a little help from my friends

Do you need anybody

I need somebody to love

Could it be anybody

I want somebody to love

Would you believe in a love at first sight

Yes, I'm certain that it happens all the time

What do you see when you turn out the light

I can't tell you but I know it's mine

Do you need anybody

I just need someone to love

Could it be anybody

I want somebody to love

Yes I get by with a little help from my friends

With a little help from my friends

Comments (100)

• veronicastrum
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Things are quieting down here - we are down three "kids" and one dog as they all headed back to where they are supposed to be today. At 3:00 am this morning, DS and his girl slowed-danced in our driveway in the headlights of her car and he formally proposed to her. SO much more romantic that his father, who popped the question at 11:45 pm on March 31st and then regretted that he had not waited another 15 minutes so he could say April Fool. Anyway, the happy couple is very happy, the younger sister is thrilled beyond words and we all keep smiling!

We hit the high seventies today! The daffodils that were just emerging yesterday have buds ready to pop today. DH and I took a long canoe ride all through the wetlands. For those who were here last summer, the hike to the prairie today would involve a good stretch of thigh-high water.

GB, can you post a picture of your DD along with the 31 year old picture? I see a certain resemblance.

I am quickly fading, so I shall say that I am thinking of all who are facing challenges and looking forward to spring!

V.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

LOLOL-V, I hate to say it but your DH is my kind of man...lolol.

Made a little headway in the garden today. It's still too wet and cold to do any digging or heavy walking around but I did manage to cut a few things back and do some creative pruning on a couple of my older Japanese maples. The sun never came out so we didn't get out of the 40s. Oh well...

Marie, you haven't changed a bit except for the hair color!

Babs, tsk, tsk, tsk, watch that back. Since I started doing Pilates three times a week a year and a half ago I have not had any major back issues. It does take some discipline but I highly recommend some sort of Pilates work for anyone with back problems. The condition I'm in will no doubt help with my recovery from surgery as well although I have been warned that I will have to give up both Pilates and weight lifting for at least six weeks afterwards. Sitting around doing nothing fo weeks on end will be the hardest part of surgery for me.

Ei, thanks for the tree suggestion-I'll add it to the list. As I look around the garden though I realize I already have more trees than I should so will probably shuffle around the existing inventory before buying anything new. Of course that's no fun but I have to be realistic...lol.

OK, I need to head upstairs and get ready for the week. I hope to take a day off this week-maybe Tuesday since that looks like it will be warmest. Rain coming tomorrow.

Sue

• Related Discussions

Idyll#263: Friends, Plants and Books (NO Woodpeckers)

Q

Comments (101)
    Good Morning Idylls! Well, what a pleasant visit to the Idylls this a.m.! You guys had me laughing and smiling all the way through...what fun pics! I knew Deanne was feeling her oats as soon as I saw that pic of her holding the little maple tree! You looked so cute and what a mischievous look on your face..."Psst...Mary...look at this little maple...isnt it lovely?" "What?!?...smuggle it on the plane, Moi?!?...*Never*!" LOL! Youre too funny! Loved all the beautiful pics of your spring garden and your Sutherland Gold is doing wonderfully! I hacked mine way back last fall and much to my relief, is also doing well this spring. Its a gorgeous shrub and Im very happy with it too! Thank you Mary for sharing the pics of your get together. It was wonderful to see all your smiling faces and it looks as if fun was had by all. :-) Really enjoyed the spring walk through Maries garden too. The unfurling fronds on your Maidenhair fern were wonderful to see...nature is just astounding, isnt it? BTW, is that Bruces White phlox divaricata in the one pic with the grape hyacinths? What a gorgeous picture. I just planted Bruces White in my garden last year and they are still very teeny tiny plants, but one managed to flower and the flower looks very similar to those in your pic, so Im hoping yours is p. divaricata too. If it is, I am in for a real treat when my plants mature! Marian so glad you are feeling better dear friend! :-) I can hear the laughter in your voice and the smile on your face and it warms my heart! BTW, dont forget to let me know what you want to do with the myosotis...i.e. plants/seed, now or in the fall. Babs sorry to hear Ryans physical was worrisome. Like Marie, I also have a lazy eye (which the doctors didnt treat), but I have been lucky in that it has not affected my vision. Most of the time I dont even notice it, but if I am over tired, I do lose control of the muscles in that eye, which is more embarrassing than troublesome. Also, when I get pics taken, often I look like I am drunk and thats because that eye will close if there is a flash or the sun is too bright. Anyway, have you talked to the doctor yet about the risks and or the benefits of having surgery to correct the problem? Well Im sure you are doing your research (youre such a good mom) and I know you will make the right decision for Ryan, whatever that turns out to be. Re the blood in his urine. My son had that too, when he was just about Ryans age. Cant remember a lot about it anymore, but I do remember the doctor referring to it as "spilling sugar?" He told me that it was not uncommon in children and serious joggers too! I took the doctors word for it and as it turned out by the following spring Paul didnt seem to have the problem anymore. In retrospect, I wish I had been more informed and I think you are wise to find out more abut it too, if you can. In fact, if you *do* find out, I would be curious to know why it happens too and why, as the doctors say, "its nothing to worry about". Michelle your garden is looking lovely too! So tickled that T.E. has made an appearance at your house. BTW, I meant to tell you before, I like my street name too! LOL! It was great when I had the biz cause we used my home address as the biz address and you would be amazed how much confidence it instilled in our clients...LOL! Honey! It was great to see you! :-) And I am in love with your Acalypha! A few of us garden gals are making our second trip to Sunrise Nursery this week and I am definitely going to be looking for that plant! Cant wait to see how you combine it in your always lovely pot combinations! Sorry to hear your landscape designer was such a disappointment! Stick to your guns and/or find another landscaper. It makes me very unhappy when I hear about designers who dont listen to their clients...its just wrong! I always think of one of my ex-bosses clients, who loved the color red. I always felt sorry for him because every year he would ask to include red in his garden and every year my boss would refuse to listen (just because *she* hated the color red)! I thought that was a terrible thing to do to a client and always thought she should have compromised. I mean, Im sure there was some way she could have included some red in his garden, without insulting her own tastes. Okay, Ill get off my soap box now, it just that not listening to your clients needs and wants has always rubbed me the wrong way...I find it insulting! Of course, you hire a consultant because you want their knowledge and experience, but that doesnt mean that the *client* cant have good ideas too! BTW...we will be seeing lots of pot combinations here, wont we? Please? I so loved that last spring....what inspiration I found here! Did I mention too how much I enjoyed all the eye candy here today? Just beautiful everyone. Eden...Im so tickled a gardener whom I admire so much also loves Dicentra Gold Heart! I know some people feel it may be a little to bright, but not me! I think it is gorgeous and I absolutely swoon when in a good spring, it blooms with my Redbud tree! :-) You and Marian have mayapples too die for. Though Ive had mine for several years now, they still have not made a great show like yours. When I was working for a gardening service, one of her customers had a huge stand of them in the woodland part of her yard and it is an image that I carry with me all the time...just lovely! Well, maybe one day I will have a stand too! :-) Enjoyed seeing all your unusual plants. It amazes me how many plants I have yet to discover...LOL! Lauren! So enjoyed your pictures...just beautiful and the pic with the droplets on the leaf is really a work of art! Boy, we are so lucky here at the Idylls...so many wonderful photographers! Gorgeous pics from Sue too! My fothergilla is finally recovering after a couple of bad years where my husband completely buried it during snow removal...GRRR! BTW, Sue is that your new "do" I see? You look fabulous! New do or not I think your hair is beautiful and I need to know what you are doing to have such fabulously chiseled arms! Youre looking fabulous dahling! Well, Im going to keep this short, as I want to come back later and post pics of the trip to Arizona and my surprise on coming home in a separate post. I was going to post it all here, but then realized I had way too many pics. Ill be back here later, to do a better read! Have a great day all! Ei P.S. T that is *so* encouraging and a joy to see the honey bees! :-) P.P.S.S. Meant to tell you all I read "Shocking Beauty" while flying...wonderful book! Can't wait to get to my "Jewel Box" now! Thanks for the recommendation! Okay gotta go now...TTYL! Ei
    ...See More

Idyll #286---Thankful for so many Idyll friends....

Q

Comments (102)
    Eden is the winner! I counted all of the pots of plants that are indoors. There are 176 total...until I pot up the cuttings from 10 containers. :-) There are 11 pots and one cutting's container in the spare bedroom. 25 pots im my bedroom (the african violets have company), 10 pots in the vestibule, 14 pots and 5 cutting's containers in the diningroom, only one african violet in water in the kitchen, and 93 pots and 10 cutting's containers in the plant room. The frost yesterday morning did no damage to the few tender things in our yard. This morning was a few degrees warmer, but there was frost on my car's windows when we drove out to the local store for breakfast. Eden, I sure do get tired of tending all these plants. Before winter is over, and it is still too iffy to put them back out, I get to wondering "Why,why, do I do this?" I am so glad that that dreadful storm in New York missed Mary's place. Mary, I didn't tell you how glad I am that you had another woman to share the room with at the camp.It sounds like it ended up being a good experience. I still admire you for going through with it. T, you certainly beat me on the facial color. Mine is quite greenish-yellow on the left forehead. Looks jaundiced! I need to start wearing a helmet. Last night I reared up under the corner of the kitchen counter, when I was goofing off with Trubby. No harm done to me or the counter. :-) Our front lawn is covered with Honey locust pods, and more still on the tree. Sure wish I had known it would do that...I would have been more choosey what I planted there. It will have to stay, because it's shade is badly needed. The one in the side yard doesn't have pods. Whoopee! The Phal from Ei is putting up a 3rd flower stalk! And I am pretty sure the Slipper Orchid is putting on 3! Another Phal is adding a new one, also. I should be assured of lots of lovely orchids all winter. Our forecast is improving for the next while...rain and warmer temps.But I'm not sorry that I have brought all the tender stuff in. Now I need to set out all the potted hardy plants...but where oh where will I put them!!!??? and am I up to digging the holes? I think I will put the ninebark where the old compost pile was. It was sunny enough to grow winter squash, so the shrub should do well there, and the soil should be mellow and fertile. I am thinking there will be a fun time at Sue's today. Report all the happenings to us. Marian
    ...See More

Hoya fitchii...a little help from my freinds

Q

Comments (17)
    Nancy, I don't grow this one, but some of them can be pretty stubborn, and it's always even more frustrating when you hear EVERYone else's grows like crazy! LOL!! Since you have a nice-size plant there, I would take a cutting from it. First of all, if you take a cutting, it roots and starts growing, you'll know there's SOME issue with your roots, something you can't see. And if that's the case, I'd then make cuttings of the whole thing. Second, I find that almost all plants throw out growth hormones when pruned. Maybe it just needs a kick-start... The "old-timers" here have heard me say that I learned this valuable lesson many years ago from my first German Shepherd. If you have one, you know how violently they shake that big ol' tail when they're happy. I've had many a plant knocked across the room and broken by the lively tail, and boy did I cuss about that! But after a few times and about a year had passed, it started to dawn on me that the "tail pruned" plants were some of my best looking plants! Hmm... Now don't get me wrong - I don't encourage tail-pruning! But I never hesitate to snip-snip because I know it'll pay off in a few months. Denise in Omaha
    ...See More

need a little help from my friends

Q

Comments (11)
    With all due respect, I'd have to say ignore it, put it behind you and don't bring it up. I say that after years and years of dealing with the men in my family who NEVER, EVER apologize, never learn, and never forgive. They just move on. Not very good behavior, but they also NEVER change so not anything I can do about it. If I bring a problem up again, it just starts the battle all over again--every time. Just move on and forget it and hope they do too. Some people will admit their wrong, change, etc., but if they are not these kind of people, don't cast your pearls before swine. Just be nice and kind, which is what anyone would strive for, turn the other cheek. You can't "fix" things all the time, much as we would like to. With some people yes, but with some people no and you just have to let go and let "You Know Who" take care of the rest!
    ...See More
  • dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Hi everyone this weekend sure went by fast. Wish I had one more day to spend in the garden doing spring chores. I have Thursday off next week and Im toying with the idea of taking Fri off too-a 4 day weekend would be splendid !

I got almost all of my purchases planted , except for 6 lily bulbs that I cant decide where to plant. They will have to go in soon as they are sprouted.
    I ordered 8 fuchsias from Antonelli Bros. in Watsonville today. They have literally hundreds of varieties available, and have them flagged for mite resistance and heat tolerance.
    Today I was spreading mulch and suddenly the right lens of my glasses pops out and falls into the compost. The eeny weenie screw that holds the frames together was gone. I am extremely nearsighted and cant function without my glasses-(been wearing them since I was 10) and fortunately I had a spare pair in my car. They are my old ones so they are all scratched up , but they will get me by till I get to my eye Dr. to get my frames repaired.

So, a few comments and then some pics..

Wendy, when my DS was little one of the few things he would eat was Chinese food. I made stir-fry quite often and whenever we went out to dinner as a family we usually went to a Chinese restaurant. I have cats who are less picky eaters than he was , lol !

Drema, nice to hear from you and such positive news about your brother . How fortunate he is to have someone like you in his life to help him on his way.

Sue, bet youll break all records on recovery . I have only been in the hospital to have children, though my late DH was in a few times. Staff is usually very nice but the food is unconscionable. Cooked to death, no fresh ingredients maybe things have changed. Do you suppose they have data ports in the rooms so you can plug in your laptop???

bug, how cool the pic of DD in utero ! You just look the picture of health !

Suzy, I must say, my present tooth problems are the result of dental procrastination on my part I hate going to the dentist too, but I have no choice now unless I want to loose all the rest of my teeth. Im going to be put on a strict regimen. Yipeee ! and 85?? Thats about 15 degrees warmer than we are here in No. Calif. You are in Indiana , right ? Ive been to Indianapolis numerous time , always in the fall-usually Oct-and it seems like the weather is so variable there. Ive frozen my kiester off some years and was in short sleeves others.

Babs ! Hurting your back on the cusp of Spring ..bad deal. I hope you can recover quickly.

Ei, I really enjoyed your mega-post and the tale of the fish pond. As you continue to anticipate , hope you enjoy the photos below

Ok , this is it for me, here are some photos

Yet another climbing rose that I should not have planted! Lady Banks.I prune her severly twice a year.This will be huge yellow blob in a few more days.

{{gwi:153307}}

Lilacs !

{{gwi:153309}}

Mr Turtle --a purchase from the garden show, hanging out with the Huercheras

{{gwi:153310}}

The entry area, lots of growth happening here...

{{gwi:153311}}

see y'all later!

Kathy in Napa

• Full_Bloom
    17 years ago

Whoo hoo Kathy! Thanks for spring! :-) I especially enjoyed seeing the lilacs...ohhh can't *wait* to bury my nose in that fragrance again! :-)

Thanks Babs & Mary for the tips! :-) I tried it on Paul but I kept laughing everytime I put the straw to my mouth so it didn't work out so well...LOL! I do see what you mean about "technique" though. I will be diligent in my practice...actually I think I'm getting pretty good at it...LOL! :-)

BTW Mary the sponge cookies sound delicious. I've got cookies on the brain. I've been reading the China Bayles Mystery series by Susan Wittig Albert. Light reading (in the last month, I've already read ll in the series - I think there are only a few more) but very enjoyable. I'm on "Bloodroot" right now and I'm enjoying all the sidebar fascinating facts about bloodroot that I had never heard before. Anyway the premise is China Bayles owns an herb shop in Texas and a little tearoom too. She solves mysteries. I like the tie in of gardening with the mysteries and she also includes recipes and garden and plant history and lore. Anyway, long story short there is a recipe in there that I am dying to try called "Martha Edmond's Comfort Cookies" and the recipe calls for zucchini, cinnamon, cloves, *fresh basil*, nuts, and the usual sugar, butter, eggs and flour. It just sounds so *different* to me, I'm intrigued. If they turn out to be tasty, I'll give you the recipe and maybe you can figure out a way to make it gluten free.

Sue...don't mean to be pushy...but I really *do* want to know what that shrub is that you loved so much last year in the Corylus family....if you don't mind sharing? I remember something about the great red (?) foliage. Okay I don't remember exactly what you said about the shrub,but whatever it was I *knew* it was something I wanted! :-) BTW, I absolutely love my Hydrangea 'Lemon Wave'. Thanks for that recommendation.

Bug - I too enjoyed seeing your picture. You know what really impressed me though? Except for the hair color you look *exactly* the same (well, okay, you weren't "with child" when I met you)...LOL! But *honestly* you haven't aged one bit!

Okay, off to bed with me...Good Night All! Ei

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Ei,

Corylus avellana 'Red Majestic'. I think Eden has one too. Great foliage. As soon as it breaks dormancy I'll grab some pictures. Mine is grafted so I have to watch out for suckers. It also recieved some unwanted attention from japanese beetles last year so if they are a problem in your area you may want to keep an eye out.

Kathy, some great spring shots.

Gotta run...

Sue

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Well, I know I am sorry to have missed out on the straw instructions and demos! Someone will have to show me this summer during the IU!

I confess I was too tired to even lift some fingers to turn on my p.c. at home this weekend how sad is that? I slept 12 hours on Sat.; pretty much was a slug, did a few errands & met a friend for an early dinner it had rained pretty much on and off here so I couldnt garden. But Sunday was a fine day & I worked almost all day outside boy, is my body telling me I overdid it today... it required 3 "vitamin Is" and a hot shower to get groaning into work . . . . but since I suspect Ill be in PA next weekend I had to crowd as much into yesterday as possible. . . . I still cannot get over all the weeds they must have been growing under the shredded leaves all winter!

O, Sue sorry to hear about the more invasive surgery what a 360, uh? from the insurance co telling you you didnt have a severe enuf problem to now having major surgery! Sheesh another primo example of stupid insurance system, uh? I guess this messes up your vacation plans too?

Chelone thats sad but good news that your brother is now on board re your Moms condition its heartbreaking but necessary step to do no one should kill themselves trying to care for others (just my personal selfish opinion)

Sue, I did indeed see that NBC segment re aging parents I think theyre calling us the Sandwich Generation and its not for Food! Luckily, my child is grown but it must be even worse for those who have small ones at home & aging ones as well. I feel lucky that Im only 3 hours away I cant imagine what it would be like to be 8 hours... Not sure how long this is going to go on though its been 4 hours of shuffle; and weve been very lucky that Dad wanted to be the primary caregiver for so long.

Re Spring here in this area the poor bulbs are all whacked out! later blooming things are blooming along with crocus; daff leaves are burnt out; and Im not getting much of a good display from them crazy weather. They had the a.c. turned on in the Metro this a.m. as I shivered and shook but tomorrow the temp is supposed to hit 80 degrees for one day; then plunge again... aaaah.

Gardenbug Im so sorry to learn of your friends loss deaths like that really brings home how short and precious life can be, doesnt it?

Ei Im laughing over the First Blood bit yep, gardening is aking to Rambo sometimes, isnt it? I feel like an old Rambo today myself! LOL. Ive been a fan of those Albert books, but kind of got out of the habit of reading them after about the 6th one.

Boy, you all are a "singing bunch" on this thread!! Loving every word.

Kathy, how delightful to see your new purchase love that turtle & I ador that white birch near your frton doort what a lovely vignette.

Ok, now to work.

Cindy

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Monday!
    First came the thunder, lightning and huge downpour.
    Then I boiled my keyboard in hot hot hot tea. :( I'm using DH's now. All the mess of papers on my desk drowned.

Then I had to rush off to the pharnmacy, collect more cat food, etc.

Now I must pack. Hope to knit too, but we'll see.

It will improve, won't it?
    'bug

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

In honour of Ms V:

(The Bee Gees)
    In the Spring , a young man's fancy likely turns
    to what he's been thinkin' of
    He's thinkin' of love
    In the Spring , a young man's heart's begins to sing
    Thinkin' of wedding rings
    He's thinkin' of love
    The chilly wintery winds, they blow,
    In his heart ,he's warm
    And true romance begins to grow
    A love is born
    In the Spring , a young man's fancy
    likely turns to what he's been thinkin' of
    He's thinkin' of love
    The chilly wintery winds they blow
    In his heart , he's warm
    And true romance begins to grow
    A love is born
    In the Spring , a young man's fancy
    likely turns to what's he's been thinkin' of
    He's thinkin' of love
    He's thinkin' of love
    He's thinkin' of love
    Ooh ........

Back to work now...
    'bug

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Turbo-post

'bug, glad to see you singing now. This is the quote on my desk calendar for today:
    "The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." -Dolly Parton

Babs, take care of your back.

Kathy, thanks for the spring pics - I can smell the lilacs!

Waving hello to all!

Back to work.

-W

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

79 degrees here today making the Midwest one of the warmest spots in the country.

• chelone
    17 years ago

Good heavens! miss one day around here and it's like trying to get on a moving Merry-Go-Round. :) Naturally, I will forget most of what I wanted to share, but it'll be OK.

I hope 'bug is doing OK with the loss of the young friend. I've thought of that every so often and the whole notion of why it's important to "Shower the People" you love with love; even if it's in the smallest ways... . When do you leave for DF's (dear family)? You really DO look the same, you know.

I'm also glad that Babs. survived dinner without gastric upset. But am very sorry to learn of the current back woes. See the chiropractor and go easy on yourself. Sue's advice about stretching is spot on.

For the "'fraidy cats": I was a "penny candy" kid... with all the rotten teeth to prove it. My parents went to the dentist when it was necessary and that's how it was for my brother and me, too. Any wonder why I was so freaked out?! Long about age 25 it dawned on me that "putting it off" only meant it would hurt more and be more expensive to fix what needed fixin'. I swallowed hard, called for an appointment, and have gone every 6 mos. ever since. My father was a handsome man with a dazzling smile in his youth. He rarely smiled later in life because he had a headful of rotten teeth. His mouth smelled foul. Very, very sad. Go to the dentist, tell him you're afraid! I don't LOVE going to the dentist, but after replacing fillings and having 5 (count 'em!) crowns in the past 23 years, I'm pretty much fearless. Only the fact that I have always used dental floss and brushed regularly has spared me periodontic woes. Did you know that by the time Mary I ("Bloody Mary") was 20 she'd pretty much lost every tooth in her head?! The first Europeans to these shores were blown away by the beautiful teeth of the native peoples...

So, Kathy! great news on the offending tooth. Your roses are breathtaking. Do you have to spray them at all? (this is aphid territory, and sawflies... and blackspot). I'm still not convinced they're really worth all the fuss.

I called the funeral home today and started the "mortuary trust" procedure. The guy was great. I told him what we wanted to do, what Mum's wishes were, and he walked me right through it all. He was very quiet and reserved until I made a characteristically flip remark. I said, it's OK to laugh a little; we're all going to end up at the same station, it's just a matter of when the train pulls in. He chuckled and said, "you're not kiddin'". I have to make a few more calls about a few other sundry details, but other than that, it's pretty much a "done deal".

I'm not sure things would have moved nearly as speedily to this end had I not "hit the wall" and had not the helpmeet intervened as he did. The incident where my brother had to carry Mum indoors against her will was a sobering moment for him, I think. Until that time, I think he'd harbored a certain belief that I was "being a baby", but that evaporated when he had to intervene physically. I am greatly relieved that his innate practicality has taken over and whatever feelings of anger/resentment he may have felt following Mum's arrival in his home have dissipated. We have laughed about some things, spoken frankly about several others, and the old, "easy" rapport is back. We're on the "same page" and we trust each other. You have all given me courage and support when I was most beaten down. I think of all that I've been given often; I hope one day I'll be able to repay the kindness.

I am so glad the lyrics to the Dolly Parton song were posted. I LOVE Dolly Parton, actually I love "country music"... but not the crap pumped out by the Nashville establishment that will blacklist talented people for their political views. One of the prettiest tunes on the Maria Muldaur cd I'm presently enjoying is one of Dolly's ("My Tennessee Mountain Home)... she is one of the (if not the very) first artists besides Dolly to record one of her songs. Thanks for the great quote from her, Wendy! She is a woman of amazing talent and great good humor. A treasure.

It's really raw here today. Overcast, cold rain and I whined enough to have the helpmeet start a fire in woodstove. It feels great. Warm and cozy and no droning furnace in the background. The cats are drawing nearer to it by the quarter hour.

I'm presently working on a recover for a sofa and a loveseat. New foam for the deck cushions and new foam bolsters for the back cushions. Personally, I think it's pretty dreadful, but the owner loves it. The fabric is a denim with Lycra... sooo... how much "ease" should I add to the cut pieces? should I add any? Never a dull moment, kids... good thing I'm a risk taker. :)

OK, I need to shut up now. Ta ta.

• babs_clare
    17 years ago

Chelone-IMO if the denim has a much smaller percentage of Lycra(say less than 5%) wouldn't you treat it like any ordinary woven upholstery fabric? I would think the more give it has the less ease you'd want to cut the pieces with...no?(watch me help you screw it up)what other fibers are in this-just cotton? Does it have alot of body? I bet that wears pretty quick!The customer is always right lolol.

Oops-must tend to bedtime for a sleepy boy-I love shipping them outside after homework....he's going to pass out: )

Ryan asked to tell you all that "this is a happy day because we had gym and recess outside today. The worst of the day was being sweaty when the class had to run a lot for gym...Goodnight!"

I shall return...I hope ; )

~Babs(& Ryan)

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

Finally I got to view Kenzie's video! What a going concern! You're so lucky she lives nearby! I wish...
    Michelle, my sedum angelina looks pretty much like yours. Tomorrow we are supposed to have high 60s and so everything will really wake up in the garden. Lots of bulbs are poking up already, but then it is supposed to cool off again of course later on. I saw talk of 12F! I guess we could even have S**** in mid April.
    I'm adjusting to my new keyboard that DH brought home for me. How neat to be able to see all the letters!
    Well I finished the little sweater while waiting for DH to come home for dinner, so I'll be able to take it along with me when we visit DD on Wednesday. I can't wait to get all the boxes moved and sheets on the beds and then go off to buy baby furniture. :-)
    But first, more packing and then organizing things for the pet sitters etc...
    It's good to hear that Drema's brother is doing well and that Chelone's brother is completely on board now. Ei, I hope things go really well with your sale of your home. We sold our own place many years ago. It took about 3 weeks and we advertised a lot in the papers. We had 2 kids at the time who messed things up in no time flat...so I would spend LOTS of time with them at the park while DH showed the house.
    The purchase of DD's new place involved lots of nonsense on the part of the bank and problems signing things long distance. Funny, last time DH was on a flight and managed to finalize the deal on the plane! I'm reminded of the saga of Sue and Tom selling their place..almost...many times. It all works out eventually though.

Here's the finished product
    {{gwi:153313}}

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Rain all day today here in Northern Calif. But thats ok-we needed it bad. We are at about half of our normal rainfall totals. The rain let up about the time I got off work today (how convenient !) and I took a stroll about the garden-how nice and perky and dusted off everything looked . We are supposed to have showers tomorrow, and clear sailing through the weekend.

Ei, I may have to check out those China Bayles mysteries. For many years I would rotate murder mysteries with "literature" and non-fiction of various sorts. In fact I used to read a mystery newsgroup on the internet . I hope I can resume this , I have really fallen behind.

Cindy, I used to have three white birches in that area, but we had a severe beetle infestation several years ago and two of them "passed on" and had to be removed. Really just as well I think-birches will rob the water from anything in the area and it was really hard to grow anything else in that area when there were three there. I can relate to your wacky bulb dilemma.I lost almost all of my freesias this year because they always come up really early and our severe cold turned them to mush..

Chelone ! Your comments on the state of "country music" could have been written by me. My DD and various coworkers have listened to me ranting and raving about this for many years !
    Last March I was in Nashville on business with a fellow employee. She had never visited Nashville so I arranged for us to go tour Ryman Auditorium-the original home of The Grand Ole Opry. What history is there ! Doc Watson, Flatt and Scruggs, Dolly and Porter Waggoner, Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Hank Snow, etc etc. So sad to see the demise of this great musical tradition.
    On the rose front- I am organic. I dont spray at all. Aphids are a 6 week thing here and I use a "slapping" technique or a jet of water to get rid of them. Blackspot is definitely a problem, but only in spring. I try to keep the ground cleaned up and I tolerate a certain amount of bad foliage. I find that new foliage grown in summer is clean.

bug, that little jacket is just a beauty ! The colors are wonderful- I could go for a sweater like that !

Ok, time to go cook some food..
    Hi to all

Kathy in the Napa Valley

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good foggy morning all,

Well, two inches of snow on Saturday night, rain yesterday and today is supposed to get up to 70 degrees . Yikes! Go figure that one out. New England weather at its finest. Ive been looking at the long range forecast and it looks like I can take the rest of the large pots up out of the basement and put them in the garage. I dont think it will get below freezing in the garage again this spring. (crossing my fingers)I really have to get those plants up out of the basement as a couple of them need to get the aphids hosed off. The bulbs are going to explode out of the ground with this warm weather and sunshine. I finally have a few tulips poking up out of the ground, and lots of the hyacinths in the front of the house are showing green. Yippee!

Kathy, great that youve gotten some rain and how convenient it stopped so you could do a garden tour when getting home from work. I love all your spring photos! I didnt know you could grow lilac there. Thats neat. There is nothing like the smell of the lilacs in season. They are our state flower and almost everybody has a shrub or two. The neighborhoods around here are all scented of lilac when they are blooming. This year Im going to put a thistle seed feeder in my lilac in hopes I can get some Goldfinch photos in the lilac bush. That would be so pretty.

Bug, what a sweet little sweater! When are you leaving for your visit with DD??? Ill bet you cant wait. ~~ You probably didnt have to pour hot tea into your keyboard to get a new one! LOL ~~ Great pic of you and DD!!

Chelone, Im so glad to hear you and your DB are on good terms again. ~~ Im very lucky that our upbringing included dentist visits every six months beginning at age six or so. (my mother had to get dentures when she was only twenty years old) I only have four fillings or so and the only reason I had to have two crowns is that Im a teeth grinder in my sleep and have cracked my teeth.

Michelle, soooo happy youve sent that weather our way.

Hi Wendy!!! Maybe we can get into our gardens this weekend! That would be so great. Ive still got a huge pile of snow in the corner of the driveway garden but if it hits 70 today that should be out of here before too long. ~~ Glad you enjoyed the NE flower show.

V. Congratulations to DS his fiancé and your whole family. What joyous news!

Sue, sorry to hear about the major surgery. Thats a bummer. Are you still going to be able to go on vacation? Im with Wendy, let us know if you need any help in the garden while you are convalescing. Somehow I want to be a fly on the wall to watch you try to be a couch potato for six weeks! You are going to need someone to tie you down.

Babs, take care of your back. So sorry that is causing problems.

Mary, I dont think I told you how sad I was to hear that you lost all your lovely fish. That is so sad. I lost four of mine in the aquarium this winter. No idea why! That is what bothers me most, is that I have no idea what happened. ~~ So do tell, how did your violin lesson go??? Please start bugging me to practice my guitar? I dont seem to be able to make time in my schedule for it.

Eileen, how LOVELY to have nice long posts from you again. Its wonderful to hear from you. You are just too sweet! So happy you enjoyed the bird photographs. I think of you every time I have a robin pop up in front of my camera.

Drema, glad to hear your DB is doing better. My youngest brother had a tumor removed from his pituitary gland a month ago(brain surgery) and they only kept him in the hospital less than a week. I wonder how many people die because they get kicked out of the hospital too soon because insurance wont pay.

OK Ive got to get a move on here and get to the gym, have a great day everyone!

Deanne

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Well, summer is here today -- how's about the expected 82/83 degrees??????

No wonder we're all confused, including nature! Sure would be a nice day to get "sick" - but little chance of that since I missed a bunch of work recently due to the family probs -- guess I'll just have to take a long lunchtime walk if I can muster up the energy.

Babs - take care of that back!! ouch, terrible thing to happen right before Spring.

Deanne - hope you get the weather here too that you want to be able to get goin on Spring.

'bug, that's a lovely sweater -- Im sure the parents will love seeing their new chick outfitted so delightfully & with such love.

--Cindy

• ccsuzy
    17 years ago

Good morning everyone!

A rare morning that I am actually up and functioning this early. I'm typically a night owl but yesterday was spent nursing a sinus headache that was a bit migrainey so there were several naps during the day. I need to be on a better schedule but I just can't seem to wind down at night.

I want to say what a difference a few days of warm temperatures make in the garden! So many things I was worried about or thought might be lost have show life. All the bulbs I planted are now up, and I'm excited about that. Finally I have a baptisia too! I planted it last fall but it had a long time before the ground froze to root. Lots of shoots coming up there. I think, however, my euphorbia might be toast! What should they look like in spring? Do they come up from the ground, or sprout from old growth? Mine looks dead, but since this is the first spring with it, time will tell, I guess. Maybe a new opportunity there, LOL.

I'm thinking of tackling the wild bed out front. Now that the offending persimmon tree is gone, I need to dig up the whole bed and redo it. I have a lovely bleeding heart out there with a tree growing in the middle of it. I'm thinking now would be a good time to dig the whole thing up, pull out the tree and replant the bleeding heart. It's just sprouting now so it wouldn't be too hard to handle. That whole bed is just a mess of neglect. *sigh*

Tomorrow will be an early morning also as Cinders is going for his spring "do". He's so scruffy looking! When I called the groomer, I didn't mention my name but told her "Cinders needs his spring hair cut" and she just chuckled. He always is eager to get in the door until he realizes where he IS, and then he turns back to the door. She'll come over to greet him and he gives her a soft grrr, not a mean growl, just a disgruntled one. She's the only one who's ever groomed him so she knows how he is. Funny thing will be when I bring him home, because Mystique has never seen him clipped. I'm envisioning some fuzzed tail and cautious sniffing, since he'll be perfumed.

Kathy, thank you for the photos. I love to see other's garden photos, especially when it's still early here. Gives us hope!

About dentists: I have no idea why I hate dentists so much. Mom said I was fine until I had my tonsils out at the age of 4, and then I was like another person at the dentist, someone she didn't know. I tolerate visits but find myself clenching my fists the whole time I'm there, and come home just exhausted. Once a dentist scheduled me to go somewhere to have dental surgery where they planned to pull my gums down and scrape my roots. The closer it got to time for the procedure, the worse I got. In the end, I cancelled the whole thing, I just couldn't tolerate it at all. I don't think I've had any ill effects from not doing the procedure, sometimes I think dentists just get overzealous about some of this stuff. It's like doctors - they are just "practicing". LOL

Must get moving.

suzy

• wendy2
    17 years ago

Another turbo post:

DD is feeling better, well enough to kick me off the computer to do her homework last night...she did miss school yesterday, but she had a friend bring the homework to her.

I grew up listening to country music, my Dad is a fan of Willie, Waylon and especially Johnny Cash. I like it well enough, but it is not my first choice.

Been meaning to put this picture for Deanne, of the coleus standards they had for sale at the flower show - they wanted $35 and up for these!

{{gwi:153315}}

The snow is almost gone at my place, just waiting for the mud to dry up. Have to walk around today and spread my rabbit-repellent so the little buggers don't eat the crocus shoots that are popping up.

Duty calls!

-W

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Babs, my sympathy on the back problem. No fun! Ryan, it was a happy day here too. It was absolutely summer-like.

Cindy, I checked last night and the iris that you gave me is looking good.

bug, does your DD have a digital camera that can take video also? Most of the cameras have this feature. Maybe she could set up a photobucket account and just upload videos that you could go to and view. It is really quite easy. I bet your GS would even enjoy seeing you in a video talking to him. What a well dressed baby this will be great sweater.

Deanne, I brought out my 3 fuchsias and put them under the lights, but they dont look like they are doing anything. What a cool idea to put the finch feeder by a lilac. We have several lilac hedges here on the farm. They may be quite common, but they really are beautiful flowers with a scent to match.

We are supposed to cool down some and get rain. Im enjoying a daily walk around the gardens. Getting down low to see if certain things survived the winter. Trying to remember where all the new plants are.

I only go to the dentist annually even though I have dental insurance. The dentist I go to now as well as the last one both tell me that I take such good care of my teeth that it isnt necessary to come more often.

Im still sewing like crazy. I made a table runner last night to donate to our local schools annual auction. I saw one on line that I wanted to make for myself so decided that I would make one to donate as well.

I hope the sun shines on you today.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

WOW! I actually like those coleus standards!!! (You know how I hate coleus usually!)

Well this morning, unlike Sue, I had my first spring walk! I'm actually too warm now! As I crossed the bridge with Charlotte, I heard this rumbling and splashing. At least five deer were galloping across the yard at full speed, right through the pond water! I don't dare check the plants in the flats since they were probably browsing there.

So there are bulbs emerging everywhere. Winter aconites, iris reticulata, and snowdrops are in bloom! Chipmunks are munching them too, but it is exciting. There's loads of rabbit damage, but I still can't bear to look in any detail.

OK, back to packing now. I'll be away for over a week. Take care everyone!
    'bug

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

YEAH!

{{gwi:153317}}

{{gwi:153319}}

{{gwi:153320}}

Stairway to Heaven (polemonium)
    {{gwi:153321}}

Lime Ricky
    {{gwi:153322}}

Hellebores
    {{gwi:153323}}

Rhubarb
    {{gwi:153325}}

There are delphiniums emerging too, peonies, tulips, other stuff too. Yippeeeeee!

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

Well, we set an all time record yesterday of 80! It was glorious. Ill have to go to Fla. every yr. to bring back temps like this.

You know youre addicted when you follow a growers delivery truck to the nursery. Yep, I did that. Im incorrigible. Got some color to tide me over

{{gwi:153327}}

{{gwi:153328}}

Been busy since Ive been back from vacation. Wont bore you with the details. More sad news tho 2 former colleagues, one much younger with small children, are in hospice. Too much.

DH and I both have been fighting a stomach-type bug. We think our OJ and vitamin regimen has helped and weve just had a mild case. Some in DHs office have been down for the count for 7-days. The Drs are saying its very contagious and related to the virus on cruise ships.

Michelle, McKenzie is just darling! She so reminds me of my DGN. When we saw her Sat. at Moms bday party, I was amazed how much she grew and changed in just a couple weeks!

Congratulations V, on your DSs engagement! How fun. Ei, the advice from my friend for the mother of the groom was: "Shut up, show up and wear beige!" It is rare these days that brides family handles everything. Ill bet the bride and her family were thrilled to have you lend your talents to the planning and décor.

Sorry to hear so many idyllers are dealing with serious illnesses of family members. My heart goes out to you all. Oh bug, how horrible about your friends DD. She was so very young. Im so very sorry and send my deepest sympathy to you, your DD and the girls family.

Sue, so sorry to hear you need major surgery for those fibroids but glad you found a Dr. you like and trust, tho. I, too, have never been in the hospital except to have DD, so I cant offer any advice. Im sure you cant wait until its over.

Kathy, what a trial youve had trying to save that tooth only to have to have it out. I opted for a fixed bridge instead of an implant b/c of the cost and it worked out just fine. Good luck with your dental issues. Been there, done that and youre right its costly.

Hi to all. Sorry I havent commented on everything. Im a bit overwhelmed trying to catch up on a couple idylls and what youre all doing, especially since Ive got an eye allergy thingy going again this yr. Im only halfway thru this thread so Ill catch up more later. Im off to the drug store to get a prescription for my eyes, then Im going outside in this glorious weather!

Hi to all. Im glad to be back and close to being caught up with all of you.

TTYL,
    Honey

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

After balmy 81 degrees every day in a resort like setting, I now GET why people enjoy having a place in Florida. And I understand why a hi-rise condo is preferred -- no critters or bugs.

I particularly liked my friend's place. Everything about her condo and location is fabulous. Their complex has 2 bldgs. on 18 acres in between the intercoastal/Lake Worth and the ocean. The bldgs are oriented so that no one can look into your windows/doorwalls and the bldgs are diagonally placed on the property so that everyone gets both views from 5 sets of doorwalls. I also like that their balcony is an integral part of the bldg. instead of cantilevered out; is enclosed with a 4' high wall instead of just iron railing; and that there are only 4 units per floor each with w/d inside their units, etc. The lowest level (underground parking) of the complex is 25-30' above the beach.

There are no bugs so you can leave your doorwalls open. And it's only 4 miles to Stein Mart!

I could do this life -- walking the beach, sitting by the pool every day, watching the boats, stingrays and manatees on the intercoastal. When we win the lottery, we're buying a place there (as a winter home Don't think I'd live there year round). Click on the link below and enjoy.

• chelone
    17 years ago

I had to sit with the accountant for a bit this morning. I was 1/2 hr. "late" to work. I'm REALLY tired of this late start schedule! I've taken a hit to my paycheck (down 6 hrs./week) and this is not a busy time of year for alterations. I've asked twice when we're returning to our usual work schedule and have gotten nonanswers. So, I've decided I'm starting back in on my preferred 6 AM start time; there is plenty of work, I need the money, and I need my afternoons "free" for private appointments/yard work/etc.. I have to take matters into my own hands. ;)

The denim wouldn't be my first choice for upholstery, but the owner is elderly, no pets, so it will work out just fine. It would be "roached" in no time flat at your house, Babs.! Most of the upholstery fabric we work with is very stable, much of it has a bonded back, too (we use a lot of fabric intended for automotive interiors) so there is MINIMAL ease. Typically, I cut the fabric the size of the template and overcut the foam by 1/2" all around. I suspected the denim needed to be UNDERCUT, but was overridden. I made up one cover, stuffed the foam into it and sure enough... it was not quite tight enough. The finished cushion was too wide; remember when you're putting 3 cushions into a confined space a little extra quickly becomes too much and they ride forward annoyingly when the backsides get up to go to the kitchen/bathroom; also, the test ass left a series of nasty wrinkles in the cover. Sooo... I ended up cutting the tops/bottoms 1/4" narrower than the foam and taking a "strong" 1/2" allowance. They looked much better. But they're STILL homely as sin. Tomorrow I will tackle the back bolsters. (Cant wait).

It's still too wet for many of the bulbs to reveal themselves; beds closer to the house are now sporting some, though. Parts of the yard are still under snow, but it's receding daily. We have the materials ready to submit for a building permit. Now I'm getting freaked out... the amound to work (trees to be felled, plants to be moved, enriched soil to be dug and "stored", etc., etc.. GULP.

I thought of Kathy last night as we were watching "Sideways". I didn't get all the way through it, but what I saw was pretty funny. I kept looking at the vineyards and thinking, "I know someone who lives out there" (that is, if it really EXISTS ;) !).

Mary, I too, want to hear about your violin lesson! I had forgotten to ask you about it earlier. But I do think it's a very exciting thing you've undertaken!

Good to hear DD is on the mend, Wendy. I'm STILL coughing, but feel fine.

Now I'm drawing a complete blank, there was something else I wanted to say... (ain't that the truth?). Ahh well, I close with my best and fondest wished to 'bug on her journey. Your daughter will be so thrilled and touched by the wonderful knitted items you produced. I am awed by them, personally. Every baby should be so swaddled with love!

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi everyone, We've had three great days weatherwise here in MI. Sunday, Brad and I spent the afternoon at the park with Bella. Then yesterday and today I spent cleaning up the front gardens. This morning I bought pansies and put together a few pots. Fun! Megan seems to be feeling better at last. Thank goodness for that. We also have engagement ring shopping going on with Jenni so it looks like I was correct calling that one a few weeks ago. It was great to see all the pictures posted here of spring blooms too. Looks like spring really is here at last.

Since I have been absent for the last few days it's hard to comment, I'm afraid I'll miss something but just want you all to know that I'm thinking about you, especially those going through life's trials.

Marie I do have to say that I love the little sweater and can't wait to see it modeled by the new arrival. Have a wonderful trip!

I'm going to keep this short. I had forgotten how much working in the garden all day tires me out. I have to recharge and get a good night's rest because I'll be chasing after Bella all day tomorrow. I've linked below to Bella's latest pictures, we're up to the two year old ones now. Time's flying! Some are in her Easter dress and some are in a jacket and hat my mom made for her. It's starting to thunder and I hear rain pouring down so I'm shutting down. Talk to you all tomorrow!

Eden

• triple_creek
    17 years ago

Driveby, waving hi to all!

Kenzies video and Bellas pictures are just to cute for words. Thanks for sharing.

Bug that sweater is so cute. I just love those yarns and styles you pick. Have fun at DDs . Sorry to hear about your friend. It always hurts to see a young life cut short.

Honey, sad to hear of your friends too. Good to hear that you enjoyed your trip. The condos do sound nice. Pretty containers already.

We had a nice visit with DD while she was here.. We have both gained to much weight though and I challenged her to see if we can get a certain amount off by Sept 1st. The prize yet to be determined. Hope it works.

I am under the gun to get the leaves out of the flower beds before their is to much growth on the plants. It has been so warm here things are happening way to fast. Even though we did the leaves at least four times last fall they collected again over the winter. One of the pitfalls of living in the woods.

V, congratulations to your DS and girlfriend.
    Eden Congrats to Jenni too. Our #2 grandaughter has recieved a ring also. I asked her if she got a romantic proposal. She said he had baked her some oatmeal cookies she had wanted and when he picked her up for lunch he handed her the container of cookies. He was determined not to move the car until she had opened them and there in the cookies sat the jewelry box. Their date has been set for April of 08. She has ask me to take their engagement photo.

More to comment on I know but my eyes are drifting shut so will try to get back soon. Take care everyone. Norma

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Tuesday Greetings
    Hi everyone, we had really cool temps here today. The wind machines were on in the vineyards this morning-you can hear them all over the valley .When the vines start to bud out a frost would be very bad.

Deanne- my Lilac is the hybrid "Lavender Lady" which was hybridized in SoCal in the late 70s . The issue was to develop a Lilac which did not require the chill hours that the French Hybrids did. I bought this plant in the early 80s when I still lived in San Diego County.. I moved it in a pot from SoCal to NorCal and kept in the pot the first 3 years we were here-it never bloomed till I planted it in the ground.

Chelone-"Sideways" was filmed in the Santa Ynez wine region, some 3 hundred or so miles south of here. This is one of my favorite areas of California-we refer to it as the "Central Coast"it is inland from Santa Barbara. Santa Barbara is beyond question my favorite city . If I could choose anywhere to live , Santa Barbara would be the place.

Hello to everyone else hope I can post more tomorrow. too much to do !

Kathy in Napa

• deanneart
    17 years ago

Good sunny morning everyone,

Yesterday was simply gorgeous, partly sunny and 65 degrees. What a treat. I did some yard cleanup finally. The yard is such a mess after this winter with lots of blown down branches and tree debris. We are going to have to get the utility trailer down from the hill to get all that debris to the dump.

So Cindy, did it ever get up to 82 degrees yesterday??? We didnt quite get to 70 but 65 felt wonderful. Thanks for wishing us some warmer weather.

Suzy, how great that many of the plants you thought were lost are coming up. I had a nice surprise myself yesterday. I was looking over the rose garden yesterday and four of the Hybrid Tea Roses I thought Id lost have some green life at the bottoms of the dead canes. It looks like I might have just lost one bush instead of the five or six I thought Id lost. My Miss All American Beauty that has been there for fifteen years or so is still alive, barely, but its alive. Im hoping it throws a lot of new canes from the roots. ~~ Hope youre feeling better today.

Wendy! Thanks for posting that photograph. Those standards are just lovely! It makes me want to start some more plants. HE HE HE. I only have the one that I did with that Malibar variety. Ive got several more of those cutting rooted up and are ready to put in pots now. Im thinking Id like to try a standard with one of the trailing varieties. So many plants so little time!

Michelle, Id give the fuchsias a few weeks to see if they start some new growth. You can tell if the woody growth has green if you prune some of them back a bit. The canes are plump and have green just under the bark. If youd like some more cuttings let me know. I pruned a bunch of fuchsias back last week and have several dozen cuttings in water right now. ~~ Michelle, Im another lucky person who only needs to have my teeth cleaned once a year. Works for me!

Bug! I cant believe that your spring is ahead of ours! I dont even have an Iris reticulata out! My hellebores are mushy messes, they were in bloom when the ice storm hit in January and between the ice and the cold they are just sodden black mush What a bummer! The only one that looks OK is my Ivory Prince. Im hoping that one get a few flowers on it. ~~ Your spring pics are just gorgeous!

Honey, Thanks for bringing this warmer weather north with you! I LOL about your following the delivery truck. Lovely splashes of color in your containers! Im getting itchy to plant out some pots of pansies. Maybe this weekend.

Eden, pansy pics please! Doesnt it feel great to start working outside? Im loved just raking yesterday. Im thinking Im going to clean out a couple gardens today. Ill see how bad the wind gets. They say its supposed to gust to 30 or so and that will put the end to any further raking but one never knows. ~~ Those pics of Bella are just darling! I cant believe how fast she and Kenzie are growing up.

Norma, best of luck with your weight loss challenge, I should join you. Ive been so bad this winter and MUST take off ten pounds. ~~ Congratulations to your GD and her engagement. How neat about the oatmeal cookies. Clever boy!

Kathy, thanks for the information on the lilac. I was wondering how you got a lilac to bloom there. Neat that they have hybrids that work for your climate.

Well spring is in the air and Ive really enjoyed watching the garden birds the last week or so, they are starting to look at the nest boxes and pairing off. I thought youd all enjoy this photo of a pair of House Finches I took yesterday. Part of their courtship ritual is for the male bird to feed the female. This pair were at the feeder and all of a sudden they started this thing with their beaks and I noticed that he was feeding her. I was snapping away with the camera and happened to catch this one right at the second the sunflower seed was passing from his beak to hers. How cute is that? Love is in the air! LOL
    {{gwi:153329}}

And here are a pair of photographs of Mrs. and Mr. Downy Woodpecker

{{gwi:153330}}

{{gwi:153331}}

Have a great day everyone!
    Deanne

• gardenbug
    17 years ago

We'll have a great day alrighty! I hate flying, but the bags are packed and the destination, though cold, will have a warm atmosphere. ;-)
    Can't wait to start on the baby's room.

I fully expect to experience more snow there, perhaps even here when I return. But it is on its way OUT, for which I'm thankful.

Sue, take care of yourself, and don't rush with the recovery!

Deanne, the birds are Fabulous!

Norma, good luck with the challenge! ;-)

Hugs to all. Off i go to deliver Charlotte to Spring camp.
    'bug

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Good morning all its back to real spring of 50s here today. . . .

Suzy I meant to mention to you that in my walk thru my gardens I also noticed that a couple of the variegated euphorbias I had that looked so good thru early winter, seem to have disappeared I know that my others such as Chameleon simply spring again from the crowns, but I am a bit more concerned about the Tasmanian Tiger & First Blush that are somewhat more tender well have to cross our fingers! I did see that quite a few things really bit it this winter after that drastic warming & then icing trends we had guess we have to look at it as more opportunities, right?

Honey how nice to see you back sounds like you had a great time except for nursing that norovirus type bug upon your return? Yucko. Love your vacation pics that spot does indeed remind me somewhat of a Mediterranean or other resort spot looks like it could really be a great place to retire to! Wish I had the light to take some spring pics at present I leave in the dark & get home w/ only about 30 minutes to spare and Miss Chloe doesnt like the idea of waiting to walk in the dark, LOL. . . .

Eden I am having the same problem I relaxed last Sat to gain some energy to work in the garden on Sunday but totally wore myself out now Im dragging all week sheesh the early spring "Rambo" gardening phase (Ei, love that phrase) can be quite exhausting -- & looks like Ill only get one day this weekend gotta work on Sunday at ofc (what a fun choice either drive to PA again or work on Sunday. . . . I need to expand my choices) but at least I hope to work Saturday in the yard.

Norma what a sweet (literally and figuratively) way to propose I liked Vs sons method too these guys are doing it right!

Kathy I do envy you your Lilac interesting to hear of its nature thats a problem here in VA as well; theres such a short time of bloom for lilacs and it gets so hot rapidly.

Deanne yes, it actually hit 83 degrees can you believe that? But its gone already and back to dreary 50s the stuff in the yard is looking quite burnt (from winter winds, ice, etc.) and I noticed the pansies & bellis perennis Id potted up were quite drooping from the heat of yesterday. . . . they dont like extremes me neither! I meant to comment that I do hope your brother is recovering well from his surgery that is so scary so many people having serious illnesses. Best wishes for a speedy one for him. I did see that my Buddleia Pink Delight really bit the dust (from that 12 inches of rain we had last spring if you recall I said a lot of it had died back in the summer - just rotted away apparently) & so I pulled the rest of it out last weekend sadly. It was about 9 years old & had really given me a lot of pleasure and "delight" Im going to replace w/ Guinevere I think for a different look this year (w/ Cl. Duchess of Albany thats still there).

bug have a wonderful, safe trip!! That new home of theirs looks delightful and charming. A great first place.

--Cindy

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good Morning, It's a bit nippy out this morning, only 50s for today but then warmer again for the rest of the week. My bending muscles are a little sore today, lol. I went shopping at Homegoods, JoAnns and Michaels last night and got a few Easter decorations to put out by the front door for Bella to see when she comes up. She loves that sort of stuff. I also decorated an Easter tree inside for her. Today will be a laundry day, I'm behind from all the time I spent outside. I'm so happy that gardening season has finally arrived though!!!

Deanne, I love the picture of the finch couple. Wouldn't that make a great Valentines card? I'd take pansy pictures for you but I'm still camera-less:(

Wendy, those coleus topiaries are great. There's a nursery called Telly's here that sells them but they are sooooo expensive. One day when I have more time I'd like to try some.

Marie, you'll have such fun setting up that nursery! You've got some great days ahead of you!

Hi Norma, so that makes three Idyll engagements. It seems things here always happen in multiples. How cool that you get to do their engagement picture! You know, you really should give us more glimpses of your photography. Your pictures are always such a treat!

Chelone, I was glad to hear that you and db are now solidly on the same page. I hope the transition for your mum goes smoothly for all concerned.

Sue, so do you need us to send you jigsaw puzzles to pass the time during your recovery? I just don't see you doing them though...With the great shape you're in you'll bounce back fast and be back to yourself in no time!

Hi Honey, what a wonderful vacation! Let me know when you're up for a nursery run. I'd love to come and check out that new front garden of yours too!

I need to get to the grocery store before Bella gets here. Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard is bare. Have a great day!

Eden

• chelone
    17 years ago

Lordy but it's windy here! The ocean was gorgeous; deep green-blue with sparkling white caps on the rollers. The gulls were just suspended in the air... floating on the wind. People make fun of seagulls, but to me they are beautiful. All you have to do is watch the way they use the wind, air currents, and the water to be amazed at how perfectly adapted they are. The wind is supposed to keep up through tomorrow and it ought to dry out the soggier areas rather nicely. I spied the first tentative showing of white in the crocus on the south side of the house!

I finished the back bolsters for the cushion job I've been working on. Tomorrow morning I have a couple of little zipper replacements first thing, then the remaining 4 cushions for the present job. After that? probably more cushions, lol. And my first prom gown fitting of the '07 season. I loathe that sort of thing, but the woman who called me is a long-time customer and she BEGGED. I had to accept the mission. ;)

There is a sink FULL of dishes awaiting me and after that I have to shove the vacuum cleaner around the "lab.". And then there are some calls to return... I don't feel like doing ANY of those things.

Deanne, the bird shots are wonderful; esp. the one with the male feeding the female. Eden's right, it would make a great Valentine's Day card... or an anniversary. Feeding is very standard avian courtship behavior. When cage bird owners do "kissys" with their birds, it's precisely that behavior that their bird is exhibiting. Preening is another. Larry used to love to preen our eyelashes or eyebrows. He was so gentle neither of us ever feared his beak near our eyes. Great shots!

Eden, the shots of Bella are wonderful. My favorite is the 4th. one down. There was a shot of you some months back and it flashed in front of my eyes as I looked at a couple of Bella. I'm starting to get a little freaked out at how the kids are "ageing", the gardens "maturing", and pets going "bye-bye". How long have the Idylls been chronicling our lives? has anyone ever bothered to save them to CD or anything like that? Wouldn't it be funny to set the "way back machine" and see what was going on at the outset? Talk about a life voyage! There are several people I wonder about, too. Ruby Star, Rara Avis...

I can't postpone the inevitable any longer.

:(

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I spent a little time cutting back a few grasses last night and pruning a few roses it felt so good!

Eden, wow that Bella is sure photogenic. I cant help wonder how many shots were taken to get so many good ones. It sounds like wedding planning is in your future how exciting.

Deanne, that finch picture is awesome!

Norma, congrats to your GD.

Honey, good to have you back, it looks like you had a nice vacation. Sorry to hear about the flu bug.

Wendy, those coleus standards are great. Id love to try one sometime. Ive also seen some really cool geranium standards.

Marie, enjoy your time with DD and family.

Michelle

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

The pictures of Bella are outstanding! She should have her own movie with her great-grandma as costumer. You did say your mom made the jacket and hat Eden? Wow, great colors fabrics and design. What a little princess :-)

Michelle, I watched the video of Mackenzie(sp) a few nights ago and was just completely charmed. I think my bp went down 20 points.

I always get a smile when you guys talk about your grandchildren. Eden saying she got Easter decorations for the front door because it pleases Bella literally put a smile on my face.

Bug the sweater is gorgeous. Very sophisticated for a little one. You have such nice taste!

I've been out in the garden for two hours. Had my morning meeting canceled and pushed things around so I could take the afternoon off. It's perfect outside. Put 5 or 6 flats out to harden off under pergola, and then moved a few things in back yard. My arms have the scars to prove it because it's tank top weather and everything I wanted to move seemed to be next to a rose bush. I moved C.Betty Corning and it was like trying to dig up a volkswagon. I'm sure I left enough roots that it will appear again right where I decided it doesn't belong.

The Magnolias are blooming! The neighbor's is in the side yard right outside of the french doors to my office (which lead to a roof I could fall off of, so not used). I bought these neat 'crane' rods this winter so that the sheer curtains I have there can be swung open when it's blooming. Otherwise I have no need to see out of those doors.

Picture of rods from catalogue:
    {{gwi:153333}}

Well yes, I managed to install them before spring came :-)

Terrific bird shots Deanne! Soon we'll be getting your super garden shots too.

Enjoyed everyone's pictures and updates, just too far behind to remember everything!

Back outside with me (I had iced coffee as a cool down drink while I caught up). Spring is really here!

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

I have two Fridays this week-today since Im taking the day off tomorrow, and of course the real Friday.what could be better ?

Wendy those coleus standards are pretty nifty. I bet that wouldnt be to difficult to do but lots of pinching involved. I saw Willie Nelson a few years back when I was in St Louis on business (of all places !) and boy, does that guy have one tight back-up band.They were great.

bug, you emerging spring photos are so pretty, and Honey love the primroses. I didnt plant any this year We usually put them in in the fall here and they bloom through winter and spring . I like the basket with the ranuncula in the center. Hope you and hubby are feeling better.. now here is a question. Ive heard the term "doorwall" used always by people from the east . Exactly what the heck is a doorwall?? Is it as obvious as it sounds?

Eden, what a ham that Bella is ! Cute pics..

Deanne-love the finches .

Cynthia- those are nifty curtain rods ! Lol your struggles with Betty. I moved 3 roses this winter-one of them (Boule de Neige) I have moved 3 times in the last several years. I think I finally have it in a spot that will work ! It always amazes me how forgiving they are of being yanked out and shuttled off to another location.

One of the items in my mail box at the office today was the Simple Pleasures wholesale bulb catalog for fall. Im going to order 200 tulips to line my brick path for next spring. Purple, yellow, orange and pink. The drama !!! A horrible extravagance of course , but this is something one should do at least once in their lives. I will get top-size bulbs at a very attractive price with my employee discount .

Ok, time to go. I have to read the paper, and work on my fantasy baseball roster (opening day is only a few days off ! yippee !)

Hi Martie !

Kathy in Napa

• gardeningmary
    17 years ago

Good evening

just taking a little break in my violin practice to say Hi to everyone.

Deanne - the birds are stunning and the finches just adorable. You've obviously been busy with the camera.

I had a great violin lesson on last week. I felt over my nerves at playing to someone new and we worked on some of the trickier parts of the Vitalli Chaconne. Having learnt the notes I am now able to work on bow control, tone color and phrasing. The violin can be such a difficult instrument to play well, but it is unbelievably rewarding when you are able to express yourself through it.

back to tackle some more of the tough spots

Mary

have a great trip GB!

• chelone
    17 years ago

"Doorwall"? not a phrase with which I'm familiar, but now... "doohyahd", that's another story. That's the area immediately outside the front door. The place where snow shovels tend to be left about this time of year.

Good news on the lesson, Mary. Any chance we could get you to play, "Turkey in the Straw" for us... only kidding. :)

I have the prom dress appointment this afternoon. I hoed out the "lab." and shoved the vacuum cleaner around after dealing with a disaster of a kitchen.

I have to rustle up some grub and make like a baby (head on outta here). Later!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

Good morning from vacation day central-my first vacation day since last September. Unfortunately the weather isn't cooperating as well as I'd hoped-windy and cold-but it was either today or not til after surgery. As soon as it warms up a bit more I'm heading out to move shrubs and do whatever else strikes my fancy.

Wow, Deanne, great picture of the finch couple!

Eden, the pictures of Bella are adorable. That photographer is talented but of course it helps to have such cutie patootie subject matter.

Boy the wind is really howling out there...I guess I'll spend some more time on my list of what needs to be moved and to where...lol.

Later,

Sue

• honey_mi
    17 years ago

More bad news this am. One of my former colleagues passed away last nite. They have 2 small children. Its so depressing. His wife is also a former colleague. Tomorrow is visitation. Im dreading it.

DH is still hanging in despite his job being posted. Only the desperate would go after this job, its that bad. But that doesnt mean it wont happen. Weve been busy swinging our finances around in case the worst happens. Meanwhile, Ive been notified by my former co. that my health insurance will stop when I reach 65. Thats really scary.

On a more positive note, "THE BOSS IS BACK IN TOWN!" GOT MILK?

{{gwi:153335}}

Bullet is doing so much better since the new meds. He has an appt. tomorrow for more blood work to check on his progress. But he feels like hes put on weight, his coat looks better and hes resumed his role as Boss, telling DH when its time to go to bed so he can take over the warm spot on the couch. Hes such a vocal kitty.

OK, you enablers. You MADE me stop at Homegoods yesterday. Lots of looking and thinking but I didnt buy. There was however, the cutest folding wrought iron kids chair. Another gal grabbed it before I could get my hands on it. Darn. However, I stopped at Pier I nearby and scored some wrought iron banana leaves, a floor vase and plate for our new bedroom décor. I still havent found a wall color I like yet despite mega-sample tries. Im going to try again tomorrow.

Oh, Eden, Isabella is just darling! And her outfit is so very cute. And congratulations on Jennis engagement! BTW, I HAVE to get your books back to you. Hmmm, I feel the need to visit GW or even Tellys soon. Perhaps we can meet up for lunch. And we definitely have to have you and Brad over.

Norma, congrats on your DGD getting engaged, too. Seems this Spring love is in the air.

Bug, I love the heirlooms youve been making for you new arrival. How very talented you are. Im sure your DD will just love them all. How fun youll get to help set up the nursery. Enjoy your visit.

Suzy and Deanne, thats great some of the plants you thot were toast have survived! Im hoping that is the way it works here. My new azaleas out front look to be toast. Well see.

Deanne, Norma, I have to get in on the weight loss challenge. Ive been snacking. Think it has to do with not sleeping well since I got home from Fla.

Deanne, you blow me away with your bird pix. I just love the finches. I hung some lint from the dryer under my bird feeder for them to use as nesting materials. However, it seems to be scaring them off. Perhaps, Ill move the lint over to a nearby tree.

Chelone, I was so glad to hear that you and DB had a meeting of the minds on your mothers care and this ordeal hasnt affected your close relationship with him. Thats so important for all of you. Hey, would you please come help me shovel out this place?

Wendy, great coleus pix. Hmmmm, seems Deanne has got us all more into coleus than we were.

Oh Cynthia, your magnolias are blooming! Im so jealous.

Kathy, a doorwall is a sliding windowwall as opposed to full length french doors that open in/out. Ive never heard them called anything else. Guess Im still an east-coaster.

Mary, it sounds like youre really enjoying your new violin lessons. What a wonderful emotional outlet for you. Violin music is so expressive. Im in awe of those that play well. One of my favorite songs on Yanni Live at the Acropolis is the dueling violins. Im looking forward to hopefully hearing you play at IU4.

Sue, Ill bet youre relieved to have a date set for your surgery so you can get it behind you. Hows Zoe?

Gotta run. Have a subdivision board meeting here tonite and I need a big shovel for this place. Then Im heading to the grocery for snacks and hopefully will still have some time for outside clean-up. Hi to anyone I missed.

Honey

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

In honor of the only day of Spring we seem to have had here, Chloe got out into the yard last nite & took some pics of her favorite new scents... it's now a breezy 47 degrees here -- from the 83 we had 2 days ago. The flowers are retreating.

{{gwi:153337}}

{{gwi:153339}}

{{gwi:153340}}

{{gwi:153341}}

{{gwi:153343}}

{{gwi:153344}}

Happy freezin Thursday!

• ccsuzy
    17 years ago

Hello to all. I'm taking a break from a short burst of energy outside. I went to the neighboring town with DH to deliver a tape to a school and on the way back it seemed to have warmed up substantially. I decided to tackle that bleeding heart/redbud in the front disaster bed. I dug down about a foot and pulled out the dirt - the bleeding heart came apart in 5 pieces since the redbud was smack in the middle of it. I then cut the tree off below ground and planted a piece of the redbud back in the same spot. I think if any new shoots come up off that root I'll cut them off right away and see if the root will die back. Spread the other pieces of the bleeding heart out around the yard, one where I seem to have lost my white one! There was another redbud tree growing there I had to dig up. It's still cool and the plant was not more than about 4 or 5 inches tall, so hopefully with the cool weather and rain in the next couple of days the pieces will all take and make nice new plants.

BTW, Deanne, do you want a redbud? Now would be a good time for me to dig one up for you (small one) if you want it. I have them growing all over the place. Volunteers...

LOL on the "Rambo Gardening". I try very hard not to do that any more, because it leads to suffering. I raked half the front yard of sweet gum balls (that translates to one very large trash bag full), picked up a large can full of sticks, cleaned out a peony/daylily bed, and the bed behind the deck which consists mainly of removing about an inch of pine needles each spring. That amounted to a bag and a half of pine needles. We won't talk about how many are on the deck to be cleaned up, but the trash men only take so much and I don't want to overextend their generosity.

At any rate, I'm feeling muscles I forgot, of course. Not too bad but enough for Aleve...and a good hot shower. I'll go out later and do a bit more, perhaps. I think a trip to the 'mart for weed and feed is in order since rain will be coming tomorrow night. I could spread it in the morning.

Bug, that sweater is adorable, your grandbaby is so lucky! What an heirloom to keep someday. My mother still has a little cotton dress of mine. I still have a lot of the boys' clothes, I really should get rid of most of them. After all, they are nearly adults!

Deanne, your bird and flower pictures are always stunning. I love to look at them, you have a great eye. Last year I had a fuschia in a basket I kept alive all summer, first time ever. I considered bringing it in the house, and I guess I should have, or at least taken cuttings. My coleus are still in water in the window upstairs. OH, and the hoya you sent a couple of years ago is blooming...again! I guess it likes my window. My roses regularly die back nearly to the ground. I think they are doing better though. Age and better soil, and I plant the crowns deeper than I did at first so it gives them a better chance. And the right varieties help. I just had to realize that I have to grow what I can, not necessarily what I like, in the way of roses! What I'd really like is a gigantic climber that flowers all summer, that wouldn't lose leave to blackspot, that the Japanese beetles would hate, and that required very little care. I don't ask for much.

I have two hellebores this year! One I've had for several years and it looked pretty bad up until about a week ago. Now it's sending up lots of new growth and has it's first bloom of the season. The other one I planted last year and it's taken, also. I have tried a couple of times to get a second one to grow and this is the first one that has succeeded. It looked pretty sad until about a week ago also.

Kenzie and Bella are both adorable. Maybe someday there will be little grandbaby GIRLS around here. But not too soon!

Cindy, the euphorbia still looks dead. Still waiting to see if there is an "opportunity" there. I have no prior experience with euphorbias and I was so pleased with this one and the plants I put around it, it made a nice grouping. I'll still wait a bit.

Chelone, sounds like a doorwall is what we midwesterners call a sliding glass door. I love French doors, and would like to replace our slider with those, but really our room isn't set up well for that sort of arrangement. If we left the door open, for air, it would be blocking other thngs (like television). My parents have a slider that LOOKS like French doors, it's nice.

Oops, had to chase Mystique across the basement with her favorite toy. She sneaks it down here and if she were to lose it that would be sad. Our basement is a bit of a catch all area, so lots of nooks and crannies just big enough for a kitten to wander through. She's allowed to explore, but no toys!

Honey, sorry to hear about your colleagues. I dread funerals, too. I'm glad your kitty is better. So pretty!

The other day I was at the grocery and the cashier asked me if I'd been pruning roses. I haven't done that yet, and then I realized she was seeing all the scratches up my arm - I told her no, I have a kitten.

Better get back out there for a bit.

suzy

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

I googled 'doorwall'(*) because I've lived up and down the east coast and never heard the term. The only regional association I could find was Michigan! That explains why Honey knows it. To Kathy, I guess it's all East :-)

(*) It means sliding glass door.

I need food.

Latah, Cynthia

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

Okay ! Doorwall=slider. I'm feeling pretty smart !
    Went to a fantastic lecture today by a local entomolgist
    on butterflies and moths. It was very cool. I always enjoy talks by the bug guys;they are so passionate about insects.

No time for a lengthy post tonite, but I must say Honey ,how great that Bullet is doing better.

So, ta ta for tonite-

Kathy in the Napa Valley

• chelone
    17 years ago

Now that I actually give "doorwall" some thought it makes complete sense. Nice goin' Cynthia and Suzy!

Definitely good to know that Bullet is feeling better, and it made me wonder about zoned out Zoe, too. I have a vision of Sue's yard completely excavated with plants heeled in here and there... :)

Kathy, I loved Entomology when I took it. I particularly liked parisitology, too. There was a pickled beef tapeworm in the lab. that was over 40' long. And there was a dog's heart completely plugged with heartworm... it was pretty cool, but definitely an EWWW moment when you first realized what it was. What really fascinated me was the interconnectedness of everything... that even the ickiest creatures serve a purpose in the big scheme of things and are supremely adapted to fulfill it. Even as I instinctively recoil from something, I think of that.

I am going in to work today in preparation for a new schedule, will be back to Mondays off next week. I am going to gradually introduce my early start time, too. ;) I'm shooting for 6:45-7 AM today. I know it won't be greeted with joy, but I like afternoons free for yardwork and appointments and will stay later when it's required. The "homely as sin" cushion job is nearly finished, with 4 left to do. They actually look pretty nice from a professional standpoint... it's just that the fabric is dreadful.

We secured a building permit for a garage yesterday. I was appalled at the cost of it, lol. Apparently, things have changed a good deal in the time since we built the house. :/ . We are going to mark the trees to be removed tonight and call the guy to fell them and relocate them so they may be turned into firewood in the coming months. I'm beginning to wonder if I've lost my mind...

The prom gown is going to be a horror. Beading... EVERYWHERE. Mercifully, it fits her pretty well, so there is minimal beadwork for me, but there are aspects of the fit at the bustiline that I'd normally "tweak", but I'll be leaving well enough alone in this case. I may have to take drugs to get through it. Babs. will understand.

Thinking of 'bug and how much fun she's having "out west".

I have to get "motivatin'".

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    17 years ago

TGIF!

Yup Chelone, it's plants on wheels time and what a vicious circle it is too. In order to move plant A over here you have to move plant B over there. Oh wait, there's a couple of perennials that haven't quite emerged yet. I wonder what they are? Where can I move them too? Not over there, there's not enough sun. Too dry over here...lol, you get the idea. The bottom line is I wish I had more sun and better soil in some areas. When I was digging yesterday I didn't have any problem with the soil being too wet. Much of my garden is on the dry side.

Cindy, you've got way more going on that I do. Just a couple of Iris reticulata and winter Aconite here. It's my own fault-I haven't planted any bulbs in a couple of years. Pansies always seduce me around this time of year. Maybe I'll pick up a couple this weekend.

Oh Bullet, you handsome devil you. So wonderful to hear you're doing well. Zoe is doing great. She's still a little antsy at times but the housebreaking problems have stopped. The funniest thing to watch is the way she runs around like she's a puppy. When she gets going it's a riot. She actually runs at full speed through the kitchen, takes a flying leap onto the diningroom rug then tears around the DR table a couple of times oftentimes chasing Nick. One of these days she's going to wake up and realize she's 9...lol. At this point I can't see medicating her with steroids as prescribed. I should call the vet and see if there is any downside to us doing nothing.

Until yesterday I'd never heard the term doorwall either. You truly do learn something new every day.

Later,

Sue

• chloehoover
    17 years ago

Good morning, all -- yes, another whacky Friday. I actually also have a pulmonaria and Veronica Georgia Blue that's blooming - totally seduced by that 80 degree temp we had on tuesday -- very strange. Im excited too because altho I only have one day to garden (tomorrow), my Cercis Covey arrived from Forest Farm, so it will work perfectly to get it in the ground. Yippee -- and I will have to do that plant circus act too, moving a bunch of things to make way for it and probably tossing some phlox and other stuff that just got messy. Im sure there's way more work out there than Im really thinking, esp. since I didnt finish the huge weeding job needed in front.... but I'll try to work my body into a spasm as best I can (that's a phrase a friend uses when I describe a frenzied garden day to her, LOL).

Count me in on clueless re doorwall = slider. Always happy to expand my knowledge -- Im waiting for the demo on the straw trick though before attempting to share that knowledge with others....

Sue, that's cute re Zoe -- Chloe is 8 also and she's lost a bit of weight over winter for some reason & is almost "skinny" -- which worries me a wee bit since I wasnt really trying hard to get her to lose weight (altho she was probably 3/4 of an lb heavier than she might have been) -- but I've noticed a distinct perking up to her -- she too is bounding up steps that previously she was stopping half way up; running & "ripping" around - feeling quite perky it seems. And it's not warmer enough which is when she's more normally perkier (like me..). Anyhow, I guess we should just be happy that they're feeling good these days - and let well enough alone, right? I personally hate giving steroids to dogs - had to do for another Maltese because of a back problem & I also felt it let to her having early heart failure -- the stuff is just not good for long-term use - not even for humans - even though we obviously have to do what we need to in order to function. Hope Zoe stays frisky for years!

Well, guess I better face the work day - it's gonna be a tough one; I probalby spent 3 hours yesterday on phone trying to get an atty flites out of Gillette, Wy; now he's just called to say he wants to totally review it all over again today -- Im about ready to belt him. Patience.... Like why cant he just call the airport/agent himself if he wants to know 200 answers to all possible itineraries in a 250 mile radius?

--Cindy

• Lara Noles
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good Friday morning, It looks like it's shaping up to be a sunny day here, but no gardening for me since I'll have Bella. I was hoping the weather would hold so I can get out there this weekend but it looks like we'll have rain. Monday and Tuesday are still showing some promise though. I'm glad I'm not the only one with a list of plants to remove and rearrange. I did alot of that early last fall but have come up with more "plans" over the winter.

As for the doorwall/slider topic, our house here in MI had one when I was a child and it was always called a sliding glass door. I've only begun to hear them referred to as doorwalls as an adult.

Good news that both Bullet and Zoe are doing well!!!

Chelone, I too like to get up early and get going on whatever project I have. Don't ask me to start anything after 6pm though. I'm looking forward to seeing the progression on your new garage project.

I've run out of time, Bella's here! Be back later...

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

Wet, wet, wet! And the plan is for it to continue for a while, so no gardening in the weekend plans. We are having pre-Easter get together with DHs kids/grandkids on Sat. night.

Cynthia, the curtain rods are a nice idea.

Im glad you all liked the Kenzie video. Too bad that I didnt think about holding the camera the other way. Im sure you all can appreciate the excitement that she has over the dog and cats.

Eden, make sure to tell your mom what an adorable outfit that she made for Bella.

Wow, Cindy, things are really looking good in your garden. I havent even seen a pansy for sale yet. Last year I did a pot with primulas and a bunny for Easter by the front door, but havent seen any of those yet either.

Honey, sorry to hear the news about your former coworker, how tragic. Good to hear that Bullet is feeling better.

Michelle

• chelone
    17 years ago

I'm glad Michelle mentioned the curtain rods because I meant to comment on them, too. We have several pair of them that came out of my late aunt's apartment (she lived there for over 60 years!) and Mum put them to very good use covering drafty doors in her home with thick, interlined draperies. It pleases me to see a practical idea return to vogue. How's things goin' with the fabric Michelle? it will be fun to see what you crank out.

Windy again today but nothing like the past few days! and the sun is really warm. Remaining snow is receding quickly and the lawns are beginning to dry out. I'm hoping to get a basic clean up underway tomorrow. I'm laughing at the image of Sue and all the frenetic activity of mistress and canids. :) Remember, you need some help... sing right out. Really.

I arrived at work at 6:45 this morning and immediately addressed the accumulated dishes in the kitchenette (I always cave in first), then I finished the fugly cushions. I'm now hard at work at probably my LEAST favorite type of work... moulded seats with knee and/or lumbar supports, all "skins" stapled on. Ugh... BUT! knowing how much I loathe that sort of work, my boss will be unlikely to fuss too much about my bald-faced move to return to my preferred 6 AM start time. Hehehe... (always thinkin', me!).

Here's one more tale to share from today (one that will make the shop lore category). My co-worker and I were singing along with some obscure disco tune, spoofin' it up. We looked up and there was a thin, nervous looking guy standing there watching us (lol). Turned out he was British and was on a 3 mo. visa intending to cycle from BaH HaHbaH to Florida. HOWEVER, he has a phobia about bridges and the one in front of the shop freaked him right out (draw bridge with a grid deck!) and he couldn't force himself to cross it. Did we know anyone who would drive him over it??? I grinned, told him I had a wagon and I'd play Caron and ferry him across the raging Styx... he laughed. Once we were in the car I turned to him and told him that the grid deck on the bridge makes the tires "sing" and the car sort of sashay side to side and that if he flipped out I'd belt him. I winked at him and took him across the bridge, helped him unload the bike and sent him on his merry way. I warned him there were a lot of bridges in his path and he'd best prepare himself for some inconvenience. I wish I'd given him a card and told him he had to send us regular postcards... he would have done it, I'm sure!

We had a prliminary discussion about how to approach the whole garage project; naturally, our different views on money have sprung to the forefront. :) But, as usual, we had a few laughs, made some notes and have found a way to compromise. I'm reminded that marriage is not for self-important! those unwilling to laugh at their foibles and seek middle ground would be best served avoiding the "altar". ;)

Time to go back and reread and be reminded of all I WANTED to say...

• cynthia_gw
    17 years ago

I can't do much after 6PM either Eden, though I generally work til 7 :-). This winter I started having the coffee and Bailey's at night as a little treat and that can keep me going when I need to. 'Need to'? That would be to have some 'me' time, so I try to stay awake for that! Last night I fell asleep on the couch at 8PM, woke up at 2AM and called it morning. It was peaceful.

Ok, I'm going to try to remember what I have blooming!

Peach tree (from a pit), Magnolias, forsythia, hyacinths, early daffs are past, and mid season are full, late are budded. Pulmonarias (a dozen? very easy with root cuttings, so I've sprinkled them everywhere, one of my VERY favorite plants), campanula glomerata, blue Anemones, Ipheion uniflorum, Hellebores are still in bloom but got ragged from the really cold temps in February, the cherry and crab apples are budded up. Fothergilla is just starting to bloom. Not sure why the species tulips aren't in bloom yet. They're up.Crocus and Eranthus long gone.

Most of the clematis are starting to leaf out,(Hi GB!) I'm worried about the ones on the lamppost. Not seeing much life in them. I think the fence sliced my two baptisia, no sign of them. I'm sure they'll pop up sometime. Dicentras are up 8". A couple of small baby buds on the oriental poppies.

I like that Zoe is out of her mind and acting like a puppy. I hope the same thing happens to me when I get old.

And YAY Bullet! You are looking good. George (18) says hey, and he's had CRF for 2 years now, and hyperthroid since last summer. Amazing how they rebound when you throw a bunch of money at a vet :-)

I posted to my greyhound group that I'm taking Monty and Dannie to the dog park early tomorrow to see who can join us. Monty will be 12 in June and still loves to run. He can't go anywhere without a stuffy in his mouth, and this winter when he wasn't picking one up everytime we went up or downstairs or changed rooms, I worried about him. He had a couple of housetraining 'moments' this winter too, and his anxiety has ticked up a notch. I attribute it to age and just watch him very carefully, give him plenty of breaks, and keep enzemic cleaners everywhere.

Sheesh Cindy, what a waste of your time. Doesn't this person have internet? In public companies we all learned how to take care of ourselves 10 years ago. I share a sec'y with about 20 other people and she's basically a 'manager' and makes us laugh. She can solve anything. I would never waste her time.

Chelone good luck with the beads, if any fall off make a necklace for your cat.

Cynthia

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner