SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michiganmushrooms

Best clover for long term soil improvement?

michiganmushrooms
11 years ago

So last summer I cleared about an acre of aspens, white pine and mixed hardwoods from our property for a large garden. We are doing it almost exclusively no till, in raised beds made of logs from the felled trees. We didn't have nearly enough compost to fill the entire area with beds, so we are just going to build and fill them over the course of the next several years. So that leaves about 50% of the area empty and last year I planted various types of clover and alfalfa in hopes of improving the sandy soil over this time.

My question is what types of clover or other cover crops are going to be my best bet. As of now nearly the entire area is growing either alfalfa, crimson, landino, and medium red clover(with some flax mixed in here and there). I have been reading about how many types of clover will succumb to disease in the second year and I am worried about this happening. In some of the areas and especially pathways I would like to have these covers a permanent fixture, but still have the option of using the space down the road and hopefully having better soil there to work with.

Any advice or links to information about using clover as a long term soil improver would be greatly appreciated. Or any advice/resources about any sort of long term soil improvement scheme for sandy former forest areas.

Comments (4)