SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
telugu_raithu

Tips to raise organic veggies in my new raised beds

telugu_raithu
13 years ago

Hello All,

Greetings! I am a newbie to gardening in general and this forum in particular. In fact, this is my first post here. Having read a few threads, I am in awe of some of the very knowledgeable posts in this forum, not to mention the friendliness.

I live in Southern California and I have put up two 6'X6' raised beds in my backyard this year. Filled them up with 50-50 mix of Humus and Compost that I bought from a local yard. To begin with, I have planted 4 heirloom tomatoes (Ildi, Black Cherry, Juliette & Paul Robeson). They looked very healthy for about a week after I transplanted them. During one night last week, we had moderate rain and along with it some hail (very unexpected for this time of the year). Since then, the plants have wilted a little bit, but not really bad though. For now, I am just watering them enough and making sure they are not being starved of hydration. I want to keep my garden as organic as possible. I was wondering if it is a good idea to give the tomatoes some Fish Emulsion and Kelp Fertilizer both around the plant as well as in the form of foliar spray. I also want to prep the soil for my next round of plants, which would include some Okras, Eggplants, Bell Peppers, Amaranth, Red Sorrel and a few varieties of Beans. What would your recommendations be? What N-P-K composition of Fish Emulsion and/or Kelp Fertilizer should I be using at this time? Should it be more K to increase the fertility of the soil to begin with?

As I mentioned above, I am a greenhorn and would very much appreciate your expert advise on this.

Regards,

Telugu Raithu

Comments (12)