SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Smiles

rob333 (zone 7b)
15 years ago

Smiles

Posted by Gillian_ z5 PA (My Page) on Thu, Sep 12, 02 at 12:16

Let's do the flip side of Marda's Tears thread. What is guaranteed to bring a smile to your face? For me it's a lot of the same things that move me to tears......music, a good book or movie, weddings.

There are also common, everyday things that always make me smile. Here's a few.....

-When I do something stupid (at least I amuse myself!)

-Answering the phone and hearing my daughter's voice on the other end; "hi mom!"

-Opening up Outlook and seeing a real email from an old (or new) friend. side note: real emails

are not forwards, they are like letters, written just for me.

-Driving by an Amish farm and seeing the kids out playing....a rare occurrence because they are usually

working.

-A car driving by with a dog hanging it's head out the window, ears flapping in the wind.

-Watching my kids get off the bus after school. They usually have their shirts untucked or a shoe untied.

-Seeing an older couple walking hand in hand.

-My 6 year old climbing up in my lap, throwing his arms around my neck and saying; "I love you."

~Gillian

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Smiles

Posted by: webegardnr 7NC (My Page) on Thu, Sep 12, 02 at 12:27

There are so many things....

Rainbows(now who can't look at a rainbow and smile?)

DH saying I love you

hummingbirds

newly opened flowers

backpacking and rounding the trail to find a beautiful overlook/waterfall/wildflower

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: GardenGhost z7 AR 724 (My Page) on Thu, Sep 12, 02 at 13:06

These make me smile:

My dog Sam putting his front paws on my bed each morning and sticking his wet cold nose in my face

Butterflies mating in my gardens

Mom saying "Don't you want to stay?" (Since she had a stroke, she can speak few words, but there are some phrases she remembers)

My brother-in-law inviting me to visit him and my sis for the weekend because he loves how I pick on her

A new canna blooming

Having time to myself to just play in the dirt

Visiting with my aunt and uncle, who have been married for decades and are still in love with each other

And the #1 thing that makes me smile is seeing someone else smile. Smiles are infectious, you know.

NancyAnn

Posted by: gardninlady 8 SC Coastal (My Page) on Thu, Sep 12, 02 at 14:02

great thread!!

babies~

puppies~

kittens~

old folks~

birds~

butterflies~

clouds~

anything silly~~

Love to Smile~~

the gardninlady

Posted by: Beanmomma z6 PA (My Page) on Thu, Sep 12, 02 at 14:03

Seeing DD.

The way she says "vaaallilla" (vanilla) all drawn out and thick.

DH coming in the front door, home from work.

Our cats when they sleep on their backs. Especially when just the tip of their tongue sticks out.

Watching plants that I started from seed grow and flower.

The first ripe tomato.

Posted by: Lulie___Wayne 8b (My Page) on Thu, Sep 12, 02 at 15:19

Our son

Our grandsons

My DH's funny wisecracks

Our dogs (when they are being good)

Chevy Chase (Makes me laugh just looking at him)

Laying in our bed after a long day... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

(nothing like your own bed!)

Rainbows

Thinking about funny things that my deceased daughter (Christin) used to say

These are just a few. So many wonderful things in life!!!

Lu

Posted by: Sylvia Tx8a (My Page) on Thu, Sep 12, 02 at 19:52

Knowing my daughter's gotten up because I can hear her singing.

Petting my recently-stray cat Fey and not feeling a *single* bone sticking out, and hearing her overly loud purr.

Watching ugly awkward baby grackles begging momma for food.

Going out in the morning and finding the night-blooming cereus opened a white firecracker of a flower overnight.

Posted by: jain n ca zn 9 (My Page) on Thu, Sep 12, 02 at 20:38

because i cried so much yesterday, i have a long list because it just felt SO good to reflect on inner happiness! some of my smile makers include;

chocolate, fresh cut flowers, stock market going up, deer at dawn, watching sprinklers, seeing an owl, hearing the turkeys, hosing the flowers, butterflies, dragonflies, hummingbirds, a good book, falling snow, all 15 of my pets, BUT only at select moments..., bearded iris, frogs, feeding my fish in the pond, the sound of water, hot air balloons, the smell of lilies, black and white animals, the harvest full moon, my backyard view, seeing love in other couples, when i finish paying the bills! the smell of lemons, red rocks and granite boulders, my husband saying i love you everyday and knowing i am truly loved by him.

Posted by: starshadow (My Page) on Thu, Sep 12, 02 at 21:02

oo-yeah--babies and puppies--did ya see the video on tv--corny stuff-I love it--especially the animals and children-but there were quadruplets that were in bed with their mom and all were like little elves giggling--that one really made me laugh, giggle, smile--

dogs doing crazy things--running in circles, yodeling--my dog can make me smile even in my darkest moments--and she seems to know when I need it!

flowers, butterflies, hummers, bluebirds all fluffed up and bathing--I have had 20 or more lately at a time--big smiles

remembering the wonderful moments with my children--thoughts that are always there for me to pull out when I need them--

being outdoors, walking, working in my garden, smelling flowers--wow! I sure get high on that one--

seeing wildflowers beside the roads--

stars on a clear winter night-

being out at dawn and hearing the owls call--

stepping out and hearing migrating birds passing overhead-

hearing my loved ones voices on the other end of a phone --

Posted by: Rob333 zone 6B (My Page) on Thu, Sep 12, 02 at 21:04

jain, I was just thinking about re-reading my journal and the list I made when I was feeling so sad. Sounds like we're on the same wavelength. The fact you said what I was thinking, lets me know I should go re-read it. Thanks, here's an excerpt:

snuggling

horseback riding

Lady Day's music

Sunday champagne (sparkling wine) brunches

rolling rivers

candle light

velvet

sunrises with my cup of coffee

passionate kisses

crisp sheets

clean home

cats cleaning their ears

lazy days

busy days

sailing

hiking

thunderstorms

wind in the trees

kindness for no reason

feeding the ducks

paying off loans

martini glasses

being hugged around the knees by a child

flirting

bubble baths with Tchaikovsky

air rushing through my hair while riding in my Miata

tender kisses

Monet

remembering old times...

Thanks for helping me find my smile. I am having a really rough day with the little guy. He's been mad at me and even went to bed mad at me, it hurts too much. Think I'll go make a list about him.

-Robin

Posted by: jain n ca zn 9 (My Page) on Thu, Sep 12, 02 at 21:09

can i just say i am getting chills and HUGE smiles from everyone else's lists. it feels SO good to feel good, very good thread, thank you!

Posted by: MRobbins 6b - Brooklyn (My Page) on Thu, Sep 12, 02 at 21:32

The first forsythia, the first Bradford Pear to flower, the fattening of enoki-mushroom-shaped buds on a dogflower tree.

A musician in the subway playing really, really well.

A ladybug visiting my garden in the middle of the city.

The look of "getting it" on a student's face as she wipes the wax off her Ukrainian Easter egg.

Posted by: Andie_rathbone Tyler, TX - 7B (My Page) on Thu, Sep 12, 02 at 21:59

The hummingbirds feeding on the flowers outside my window every morning

A cat on your lap

The dog at the door waiting for you because he knows thee sound of your car

Christmas lights on all the houses in the neighborhood

The first daffodils blooming in the spring

The wildflowers in Texas in the spring0

The voice of an old friend on the telphone.

Getting a snail mail letter as opposed to bills and junk in the mailbox

Posted by: MRobbins 6b - Brooklyn (My Page) on Thu, Sep 12, 02 at 22:50

Those of you who like smiling at puppies, dogs, kittens, cats: bookmark this. A different pet each day, and not always what you expected (today's was a hedgehog).

Here is a link that might be useful: Pet Of The Day

Posted by: Andie_rathbone Tyler, TX - 7B (My Page) on Fri, Sep 13, 02 at 9:56

M, That did make me smile really, really wide this AM. Thanks for the link.

Posted by: Pamven z5neastindiana (My Page) on Fri, Sep 13, 02 at 10:23

All of the above....wonderful thread Gillian.

Posted by: Aileen Ga z8b-9a (My Page) on Fri, Sep 13, 02 at 11:08

I think "The Pet of The Day" site is going to give me a smile every morning. It is a winner.

I get a big kick of seeing the First Bloom of The Season on anything in my yard. I feel as if I did it all by myself, even though I know better.

Posted by: NoraR_IL z 5/6 (My Page) on Fri, Sep 13, 02 at 11:58

Any baby animal.

The smell of corn blooming.

The first cool days after a long hot summer.

The sight of new books waiting to be read.

Going outside and calling "Walkies" to gather the dogs for a short jaunt and the dogs acting as if they've not ever had a chance to leave the yard before, demonstrated by all the leaping, prancing, tails wagging, etc.

The old cat playing.

Seeing a friend.

Hearing geese overhead.

Life its ownself.

Posted by: KathyJane z6VA (My Page) on Fri, Sep 13, 02 at 13:09

sunrises

fresh coffee

the warmth of my two DGD's in bed with me

Answering the phone and hearing them say,

"Hi, Ga!"

Seeing all four of my cats in their special crannies,

all snuggled in for the night

fresh coffee

vintage plane smells

old photos

connecting with another human

connecting with nature

riding on old back roads---BIG SMILE!!!!!

finding a bargain at a flea market/junk shop

woodsmoke

a good handshake

little old ladies

Echo Nora: the haunting sounds of geese flying overhead---

-----on a foggy morn

fresh coffee

sailing

smell of rain

music that comes and zaps you through the heart

smell of those WONDERFUL Daylillies---like ladies talcum powder----my nose is yellow for weeks from all the sniffing!

babies---any kind----

motorcyling with my DSIL

driving a P.U.

the moon

wet grass

the first glimpse of the ocean

screen doors slamming

sitting at my daughter's table as the family asks the blessing

warm water on my neck and shoulders

having my head or back scratched

enough light

leaving the dentist's office

driving fast

autumn colors---sad smile

HUGGING

comfortable shoes

warm rocks

new places

when I open GP each day

convertibles

shadows on a wall

holding my DGD's hands

whispering to them

sunsets

---------fresh coffee

Posted by: KathyJane z6VA (My Page) on Fri, Sep 13, 02 at 16:00

How could I forget?!!

I'm a train nut----I wave at all the freight trains that chug along the bottom of the mtn. behing the business.

There is one which starts blowing the whistle 'way down the tracks to let me know he's coming----

I run outside, try to pick a good spot so he can see through the trees and wait for 8 seconds------AHA!!!!! THERE HE IS! THERE HE IS!!!!!! WAVE!! WAVE!!!

Shave and a haircut----two bits!!!!----he blows as he rumbles by!!!

Me? I'm grinning like an idiot, waving my arms off;

happy as a girl trying out new dancing shoes!

Yes, that makes me SMILE, no matter how unpredictable the rest of the day might be-----right then, life is great!

(Only time you'll see a bigger grin is when a planes buzzes me----that's a grin so big, the face is stuck like that for hours!)

-----unwary customers have been forced to wave with me-----I figure its good for their spirit, TOO!

Posted by: Mush Nia. Ont. (My Page) on Fri, Sep 13, 02 at 22:14

Watching a litter of puppies playing.

Childrens laughter.

Watching the birds jockey for position in the bird bath.

Seeing a family pull up to the side of the road behind our house, pull out lawn chairs and sit and watch the trains go by.

Turning off the lights, lighting the candles and hoping the power will go off during a T-storm.

That first whiff of woodsmoke in the Fall.

Making snow angels on the front lawn at midnight after first snow.

Waking earlier than anyone else and making a pot of fresh coffee.

Posted by: Des_Arc_Ya_Ya 06 (My Page) on Fri, Sep 13, 02 at 22:34

Puppy breath

my two year old DGD saying, "I love you" in her baby voice

Memories of my dad

still having my big brother

my mom's sense of humor

a new magazine and time to look at it

the smell when the rain first starts to settle the dust

rainbows

anything by "The Temptations"

friends - especially old friends

my DH still reaching for my hand in the middle of the night

Posted by: sheasgarden z5 MI (My Page) on Sat, Sep 14, 02 at 13:17

My fiance's blue eyes. Especially when he winks at me. I do more than smile at that, I melt into a puddle on the floor!

When my kids do their favorite mimic things. My older DS can turn into Kramer in an instant! He also does Boo-Boo from Yogi Bear, one of my all time favorites. My DD does the valley-girl thing like she invented it - and we're form the mid-west! The other day my younger DS did his impression of a veloco-raptor (sp?). It actually gave me the creeps!!! He was stalking me around the house and wouldn't give up until I gave him a ride to his friends house.

Other things that make me smile are:

-Hearing the seals "POP!" when I'm canning tomatoes.

-Surprise visits from hummingbirds...or orioles...or cardinals...

-The satisfying "fshssst!" of a cold, cold beer opening on a hot, hot day.

-My cat in a playful mood.

Posted by: NoraR_IL z 5/6 (My Page) on Sat, Sep 14, 02 at 15:39

I can't believe I forgot the biggest smile-maker of all: thinking of tiny Jennifer or William, now safe and warm inside my DIL for the next 25 weeks!

Posted by: Lulie___Wayne 8b (My Page) on Sat, Sep 14, 02 at 16:38

After seeing all of these wonderful things, I think I could add about 30 more things to my list.

Lulie

Posted by: Gail6OH z6a OH (My Page) on Sat, Sep 14, 02 at 20:36

Watching 34 kindergarten kids eat their "end of summer" watermelon, and seeing smiling, giggling, gooey faces.

Getting kissed by a kitten with the motor going full force.

Hearing "I love you, Mommy" from a 6yr. old

Hearing "Ok, Mom, you were right", from a 15yr. old

Cuddling up at 3:00am, and listening to DH snore

Posted by: SunGal Z8East Tx (My Page) on Mon, Sep 16, 02 at 16:50

What a great thread! I love watching my DS dance, he has enthusiasm and NO rhythm, cracks me up. Finding a new book out by a favorite author, when my DH runs and slides on the hard wood floors in his socks like he's speed skating at the Olympics (one arm behind the back and all)Watching my DD when she's proud of herself for something she's accomplished. Getting good mail.

Posted by: KathyJane z6VA (My Page) on Tue, Sep 17, 02 at 20:51

SunGal----tell your DH to meet me at the end of the room-----I LOVE doing that and have worn out far too many woolen socks than I care to remember!

I go with the arms up and out on the last push for the final

s-l-l-l-l-i-i-i-i-d-d-e!

----Right foot always forward on it-- TA-DA!

(small world!)

Posted by: SunGal Z8East Tx (My Page) on Wed, Sep 18, 02 at 11:30

Kathy Jane

I love it! He is competitive, so the race would be on!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions